• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

I Have Realized, Woo Is Like Beer

Are there any Micro-wooeries around the Detroit area? I could go for an IPA.
nominated :)

-------------

I don't think the analogy is the best, but I kind of see it from a different angle.

For many of my friends, they drink alcohol and their inhibitions lessen, and they get more "free" to say what they want, feel what they want, etc. They'll even start getting a bit "wooey" at times, when normally they wouldn't.

I don't need alcohol to get this way. I can get "woo-ed out" at the drop of a hat if I want.

So perhaps there is something to be said for our inhibitions. Maybe some who partake of woo :), have less inhibitions naturally ... and that is why getting a bit sloshy and "letting your hair down" emotionally and mentally is comparable at times? I'm generalizing, simply because I'm trying to work with the analogy.

And beer tastes like dog piss. I'll take whiskey and/or bourbon any day of the week.
 
Here's a major difference.
When I drink beer, I know I'm drinking beer. I know what beer is. I know what beer does. I am deciding to put it in my mouth.

And to those people who think ghost stories or bigfoot are fun, but understand what they really are, fine, no problem with that kind of informed indulgence.

But the majority of woo is uninformed. Unlike beer, people consume it without questioning if it's true or if it's harmful. It's less like beer, and more like some weird smelling pill a stranger hands you at a frat party and tells you it's a vitamin.

It may be harmless, it may be fun, but taking it when you don't know is pretty stupid.
 
Here's a major difference.
When I drink woo, I know I'm drinking woo. I know what woo is. I know what woo does. I am deciding to put it in my mouth.

To test the OP's theory and see if "beer" and "woo" shared an analogy so strong that one could be replaced by the other, like "mark Twain" and "Samuel Clemens," and still retain meaning

And the answer is...yep.
 
Bah, thinking about it, no I wouldn't, since it's their choice, as long as they are responsible with whatever they choose to do. But I'd surely try to convince them it's not good for them if they exaggerate, just like when a wooer chooses to believe in their wooness : it's their choice, but I'd try to convince them they are wrong if ever they exaggerate their wootitude.
I'm sorry, but how does someone "smoke irresponsibly"?

To paraphrase Rasmus, if you tried to convince me that smoking isn't good for me, I'd tell you to **** off too. I don't know a single adult smoker who doesn't know the health risks of smoking and who would not take kindly to a sanctimonious busy body trying to "convince" them to stop doing something that is their choice and that they probably enjoy. What do you actually mean when you say "if they exaggerate" in reference to smoking tobacco?
 
Last edited:
Many people enjoy it. The happiness it brings is false. Getting drunk doesn't solve your problems, but it feels good. Woo isn't real but it makes a lot of people happy.

I only care if an alcoholic ruins a family or a drunk driver puts my life in danger. I only care if a con artist takes all someone's money or if there are suicide bombers.


Here's my point:

If we are too strident or fanatical, we sound like some health nut that would criticize someone for having a beer or cigarette or whatever "Ewww....you're gonna put that in your mouth?!"


Here's my other point:

I would like for people to view critical thinking the way they view a healthy lifestyle. Something admirable but not always 100% for them.


In a way, we're mentally kind of like those people who live off alfalfa sprouts, tofu, and flax seeds and would never touch a beer.


I think this analogy would help the skeptical community in the right direction so we don't put people off to what is actually mentally healthy.


Law of Immaculate Perception – We are the only ones who see reality exactly as it is unhindered by any cognitive biases. So therefore, to disagree with us is to disagree with reality itself.

That's kind of a "holier than thou" attitude, don't ya think?
 
Ok, for those picking apart the analogy.

The theme:

An entertaining break from reality is OK in moderation.

You get drunk you are a bit disoriented. You believe in some woo, you aren't seeing the world clearly.


I'm not completely apathetic about woo cause I do despise con artists or fanatics. But I feel woo is more of a pet peeve of mine that I should learn to tolerate better.
 
Ok, for those picking apart the analogy.

The theme:

An entertaining break from reality is OK in moderation.

You get drunk you are a bit disoriented. You believe in some woo, you aren't seeing the world clearly.


I'm not completely apathetic about woo cause I do despise con artists or fanatics. But I feel woo is more of a pet peeve of mine that I should learn to tolerate better.

But the vast majority of what I consider woo is not partaken as "an entertaining break from reality" If they really acknowledge they're taking a purposeful break from reality, it's not woo. Woo is believing those things to be a part of reality.
 
a) Woo, skepticism, religion, science, superstition, probabilities, objectivity, subjectivity, feelings, emotions, thoughts, cultures, languages, ethics, morality, etc and so forth = stuff and things used to explain stuff and experience stuff and interact with stuff amongst other stuff

b) Human being = a living being in the default position apart from all the above stuff

When b is identified as a, then there is a problem. You are disoriented. b does not equal a. As long as you're clear on that, you are within moderation.
 
I predict that the more someone like beer, the less they will like the analogy; and the more someone dislikes beer, the more likely they will think it is perfectly apt.

Of course, I probably should have said this sooner, and not waited until after 27 replies to roll in. But, it's not difficult to think this would be the case.
 
1) If there is a problem that can not be solved with either beer or a 30-.06 rifle (or perhaps both), I don't know what it could be, and I suspect it ain't worth solving.

2) can't solve nothing with woo.
 
I predict that the more someone like beer, the less they will like the analogy; and the more someone dislikes beer, the more likely they will think it is perfectly apt.
The analogy seems apt to people who dislike beer, and assume on that basis that those who do like beer are irrational and/or ignorant.
 
I'm sorry, but how does someone "smoke irresponsibly"?

To paraphrase Rasmus, if you tried to convince me that smoking isn't good for me, I'd tell you to **** off too. I don't know a single adult smoker who doesn't know the health risks of smoking and who would not take kindly to a sanctimonious busy body trying to "convince" them to stop doing something that is their choice and that they probably enjoy. What do you actually mean when you say "if they exaggerate" in reference to smoking tobacco?

Well, my response was kinda related to alcohol, since Rasmus' post was about alcohol. As for smoke, say a smoker is waiting the bus inside a bus-stop (he lights a cigarette) and there's a couple of non-smokers in there including, say an old lady. This is not quite "exaggerating", but it's what I meant.
 
Well, my response was kinda related to alcohol, since Rasmus' post was about alcohol. As for smoke, say a smoker is waiting the bus inside a bus-stop (he lights a cigarette) and there's a couple of non-smokers in there including, say an old lady. This is not quite "exaggerating", but it's what I meant.

That smoker would be rude and inconsiderate. But normally, they would be fully aware of what they are doing. They would not claim that they are neither bothering or harming the other people.
 
Woo is like a box of chocolates; The contents never match the desription on the lid, if you have too much it makes you sick, it costs too much for what you get, people will often take some without asking and then deny it and if you don't handle it properly you can get covered in brown goo.

Just leave beer out of it, OK?
 
That smoker would be rude and inconsiderate. But normally, they would be fully aware of what they are doing. They would not claim that they are neither bothering or harming the other people.

Same for a guy who drinks a lot and drives their car.
 
Beer has a discernable effect.
Frequently measureable and reproducible by science.
Heck, I just saw the MythBusters do it. (Poor experiment though it was)

Woo...not so much. How much energy did I get from that crystal?
How many "toxins" were eliminated from my footbath?

You may as well use carrots in your analogy.
 
Last edited:
Rethinking this , beer, if abused as any chemical can be comparative.
It can make you spend too much money, ignore/abuse your family, etc. ad. infinitum.
It's like any drug addiction.
Woo can certainly act as an addiction for people. Perhaps even the habitual one.
I agree. Woo can ruin a family.
Nothing in excess then?
 
Many people enjoy it. The happiness it brings is false. Getting drunk doesn't solve your problems, but it feels good. Woo isn't real but it makes a lot of people happy.

I only care if an alcoholic ruins a family or a drunk driver puts my life in danger. I only care if a con artist takes all someone's money or if there are suicide bombers.


Here's my point:

If we are too strident or fanatical, we sound like some health nut that would criticize someone for having a beer or cigarette or whatever "Ewww....you're gonna put that in your mouth?!"


Here's my other point:

I would like for people to view critical thinking the way they view a healthy lifestyle. Something admirable but not always 100% for them.


In a way, we're mentally kind of like those people who live off alfalfa sprouts, tofu, and flax seeds and would never touch a beer.


I think this analogy would help the skeptical community in the right direction so we don't put people off to what is actually mentally healthy.
There's so much harmful woo out there, who has time to worry about teddy beer woo?
 
The feeling you get when drunk is exactly as real as any other feeling. Just because an emotion/feeling is partly caused by externally sourced chemicals doesn't make it any less real. This is something many people who criticise alcohol don't seem to understand.
You said it!! now use that thought pattern as a 'woo' also. (omg i said woo!!! lol)
The feeling you get as a 'psychic or woo' is exactly as real as any other feeling. Just because an emotion/feeling is partly caused by external source within yourself doesn't make it any less real. This is something many people who criticise 'psychics or woo's' don't seem to understand.
quoted again for understanding to others.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom