Stop lying Rolfe. I said Megrahi's guilt is in doubt many times over. I just think he was still a crucial part of the plot, based on the evidence that we have, and I don't think that doubt about his guilt could preclude me from thinking he's guilty anyway. I have told you that before.
In a court case, things would be different. But since my opinion carries no legal weight it is also not burdened by the same standards of evidence. I believe something that is in doubt is still probably true. Is that a crime now?
I don't appreciate being called a liar, when I'm doing my best to understand you.
You seem to me to be saying that you believe in his guilt in spite of the evidence. That's your prerogative, and it's not a stance I can debate with.
I believe I also told you before that if Megrah was involved in the bombing doesn't mean PFLP-GC wasn't involved at all.
And I agreed that it wasn't beyond the bounds of possibility that Libya and the PFLP-GC were both parties to the bombing. That still doesn't address the question of whether Megrahi was the Libyan agent involved, in that case.
I also told you it is entirely plausible Megrahi was a minor agent in the operation and was scapegoated by the investigators, for whatever reason.
Indeed. The problem is that you haven't put forward any reasonable case for him being involved at all.
I see no real need to respond to the rest, seeing as you ignored a very large portion of what I explicitly told you many times over now, and resorted to a straw man instead.
It seems to me that you've ignored the most important part of what I've been saying, for several posts now. If you think I'm misunderstanding your position, perhaps you could re-state it. I'm not aware of having ignored anything you've said, and I'm trying to make allowances for someone debating in a non-native language.
Would you care to tell me what it is about this man that drives you to such passion?
Nothing at all. The
mystery of how Pan Am 103 came to fall out of the sky is however an extremely interesting one. Unfortunately it seems scarcely possible to debate this without someone coming into the thread asserting that Megrahi actually did it, which leads to discussions such as this.
You're beginning to sound like a homoeopath running out of excuses - the standard ploy then is to accuse the sceptic of being "emotional" about the issue.
There is also the (again, suspect) Gauci testimony, that implicated Megrahi quite strongly.
How? Have you actually read the testimony? Please explain how a purchase which was apparently made on 23rd November could have been made by Megrahi, who was somewhere else entirely on that day. (And just as a comment, if you're going to maintain that Gauci was so confused that all the evidence of the Christmas lights and the rain and the football game is wrong, how can you possibly say that his remark - for which he was paid $2 million - that Megrahi
resembled the purchaser, is such strong evidence? Please note that at a different time he said that Abu Talb looked even more like the purchaser than Megrahi did.)
The timer strongly implicates the Libyans,
How so? I've agreed
weak implication, certainly. However, what evidence do you have that they never, ever passed any of these timers on to other groups? How did the CIA get one, if they were so tightly controlled?
and Gauci's testimony strongly implicates Megrahi.
No, it doesn't. The strongest thing about Gauci's testimony is the evidence of date of purchase - 23rd November. Which rules Megrahi out. As far as identification goes, he never positively identified Megrahi as anything more than bearing a resemblance to the purchaser. He also said that Abu Talb looked even more like the purchaser than Megrahi did.
You're free to believe any damn thing you like, but if you can't at least show your working, then it becomes credulity, not rational argument.
If you assume these two pieces of evidence are correct, then the best explanation is that Megrahi was involved in building and concealing the bomb.
But I've pointed out to you repeatedly that these two pieces of evidence simply don't bear that interpretation.
That's why I asked for a different suspect, but Rolfe wasn't listening. If Megrahi bought the clothes and the Libyans were involved, this would be a rather unbelievable coincidence, and he would almost definitely be involved in some way.
Legally, I wouldn't expect these two pieces of evidence to stand, of course, but that's another story altogether.
Please, please, explain
why you remain certain that Megrahi bought the clothes! Any rational examination of Gauci's various statements reveals someone being constantly prodded and hinted at to get the "right" identification, with various inducements up to a $2 million dollar reward being offered for a satisfactory performance. Tony Gauci is now living in luxury in Australia on the proceeds, by the way.
Tony was obviously less willing to come out with blatant, confident lies than Giaka was, but it's the same situation. Giaka was paid a lot of money, and eventually relocated to the USA at the CIA's expense, for inventing the fairy-tales about Megrahi and Fhimah. Unfortunately all that was detailed in douments made available to the court, and so his evidence was disallowed.
And yet you believe the other witness proven to have been bribed for his evidence is reliable? Why?
How many more times do I need to repeat myself anyway? I better do it again.
I believe the evidence we have shows Megrahi is guilty. I don't believe the evidence we have should stand in court, based on the doubts around the evidence that were expressed here and elsewhere.
Yes, I'm quite happy with that. A court decision must necessarily interpret all doubt in the favor of defendant to avoid false convictions. But I'm not burdened by that, and I think the evidence implicating him is strong enough to formulate a personal opinion that he is indeed guilty. If I were in a jury, I'd declare him not guilty.
And again, I think his guilt is not proven to the extent the law requires. I do not think only what can be proven to that extent is true, and I do think Megrahi is guilty.
And yet again, if evidence for an event isn't strong enough to prove a certain version of events in court, it doesn't mean the said evidence is necessarily false.
And you're entitled to believe anything you like. I was looking for reasons
why you believe that way, based on the
evidence. That seems to be a little more difficult.
And yet again, courts standards of evidence are set to favor declaring a guilty man not guilty over declaring a not guilty man guilty. What exactly makes you think a not guilty verdict should be seen as more credible than a guilty verdict? That's where your reasoning leads, Rolfe. Both can be wrong, by the way.
Of course courts can get it wrong either way. Plenty people who were guilty as hell have walked free, as well as plenty innocents being convicted. That's why we're considering the
evidence, and not what the court decided.
I thought you were so certain of Megrahi's guilt because he was at Luqa that morning, and you thought the suitcase had been proved to have gone on the plane at Luqa. However, as you haven't pursued that one at all, do you now realise it doesn't fly?
So he didn't put the suitcase on the plane, in fact he was somewhere the suitcase wasn't, at the time.
The MST-13 timer is only weak implication of Libya, given the two years between the batch being sold to Libya and the bombing, but even if it does point to Libya, it doesn't point specifically to Megrahi.
Your only reason that I could see for preferring Gauci's "identification" of Megrahi in the face of all the doubts I've detailed above, was that it fit with "other evidence".
What other evidence, for goodness sake?
Rolfe.