So, when people are building dark matter detectors (here on Earth) to find particles that meet the demands of their theory what are they doing?
That's hard to classify since there's evidently no "control mechanism" of any sort in some detection methods I've read. Personally I would think that the LHC is a 'better' type of 'experiment' IMO.
By the way, like many people have said here, the dark matter theory doesn't have to be correct, the question is if it is scientific.
That depends on what you're claiming dark matter is made of. I don't have any trouble with someone claiming that MACHO forms of "dark matter" make up part of the mass of a galaxy. I don't have a problem with suggesting that neutrinos mass makes up part of the 'dark matter' of the universe. As long as you stick to empirically verified forms of matter, I'm fine with the "dark matter" concept. If however you stuff in a new form of matter, I'll expect empirical verification that it actually exists in nature.
Is a "Michaelton" a scientific theory if I pilfer some SUSY math and endow the particle with mathematical and physical qualities similar to a SUSY particle? What makes it "scientific" exactly? I'm willing to give some on the topic of "exotic" DM because in theory at least it could be empirically verified in a controlled experiment here on Earth. Compared to "inflation', it seems a lot more "scientific" from my perspective.
Even still when people I respect like Tubbythin suggest that they might never abandon that idea even if LHC finds nothing, I can't help but wonder how this "faith in the unseen" differs from any form of religious faith?
In fact, I'm sick of you accusing me of "faith". I haven't said once that dark matter is there.
Keep in mind that even I concede that "dark matter" (missing mass) is there. We're really arguing about what that missing matter is made of. If you do not have empirical physical evidence to demonstrate that exotic forms of matter exist, and yet you believe they do exist, what else can we call that but "faith"?
I will say that dark matter is a logical inference.
If by that you mean to say 'there is more mass in a galaxy than we can account for', I actually agree with you. We do seem to have observational evidence to suggest there is additional mass in and around a galaxy than our mass estimation techniques account for.
Inferences are not always correct.
The inference that I believe to be incorrect is that just because we can't account for that mass with current techniques it must necessarily be related to some form of exotic matter. That's the basic inference that I'm objecting to in the final analysis.
I read your other thread and your explanation of things falls flat before we can even get to a point where we should do observational science.
I'm not sure which thread you meant exactly, but I've been swamped at work and I haven't done any of the threads much justice recently IMO.
I'm all for observational evidence when you're talking about known things that show up here on Earth. If however we observe something like "acceleration", that observation of acceleration is not evidence that "God energy did it" or that "dark energy did it", math or no math.
I have little to comment on dark energy. I'll read up on it a bit.
The first two question you might ask yourself is 'is the concept falsifiable, and if it's so abundant in the universe, why don't we experience here in our solar system?
The analogy stands up because you agreed with Tesla's quote with only the one quibble that scientists in this cosmology case should be relabeled.
FYI, I actually disagree with Tesla as it applies to the specific topics that he tried to apply it to.
Tesla said those things at a time when observations for QM were not very robust and the idea itself was not well understood. Sound familiar?
No, not really because I've never had a problem with QM. QM is and has always applied to "real things" like photons and things that show up in empirical experiments. I don't grok his complaint about QM because that particular math can be compared to the outcome of real physical experiments.
On the other hand I can "sort of" sympathize with his beef with GR because some of it still remains difficult/impossible to validate via active experimentation. Even still, gravity shows up on Earth.
Not really. Tesla was known to be against Einstein's (and others) work on quanta and relativity. You can look it up for yourself, or, you know, trust the neutral source I gave you.
That isn't necessary. I believe you. The problem from my perspective is that you're comparing metaphysical (no show) apples to empirical oranges.
Tesla's position could be (I believe even then) empirically falsified via active experimentation, at least in the case of QM. QM describes a tangible effect on real physical objects in controlled experiments. The math related to QM could always be compared to the outcome of physical experiments. Gravity always shows up in the lab too.
Inflation is dead and utterly non existent. No human being can ever hope to validate inflation via empirical physical experimentation, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. It's "non existent" today, and will be non existent forever. There is not even the slightest "hope" of empirically validating that theory. Your comparison of inflation to QM or GR is therefore irrelevant. They aren't really even comparable ideas. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Dark energy is also a big fat no show in the lab. Again, any comparison to gravity theories or QM is therefore rather meaningless because we can't compare our math related to "dark energy" to any experimental tests on Earth.
The only place your analogy might be relevant is on the topic of 'dark matter' or more specifically "exotic matter" and/or SUSY theory. On that topic however I have been clear to acknowledge that my position "could be" falsified with additional physical (empirical) tests. I'm fully aware of that possibility but IMO it's unlikely. Even still, the revelation of exotic forms of matter in massive quantities with all the necessary attributes to explain 'dark matter' wouldn't fix the other problems with Lambda-magic theory.