You've created your own straw man. I never said old theories were rejected immediately or in a straightforward manner. Yes, it often took a generation and many twists and turns, but in the final analysis the old theories were demonstrated to be false -- otherwise they would still be with us.
I apologise for the straw man. I mistook your tone. Nonetheless, I believe you're still making the mistake of thinking the reason all scientists embrace a certain theory is because all other theories are demonstrated to be impossible. This is not the case.
Lakatos may very well made good reading and offer some interesting insights. I will look into his ideas further. However, I have been studying the history of science for many years now. I believe my own insights also have value.
I'm sure they do. I'm not sure why you feel compelled to say 'however'. They are not exclusive - I'd hope as a student of the history of science (I find it odd you're not familiar with Lakatos's work as one...but, meh.) you would be open to suggested readings.
Perhaps you should read someone other than Lakatos (Great Physicists by William Cropper may be a good start).
Another note of arrogance.
Strange how I suggest you might want to read something discussing the philosophy of science, and you suggest a book of biographies on physicists. Note, I'm sure it's a great read (and I will certainly add it to my list of recommendations), but we're discussing the philosophy of the scientific methodology. I'd receommend reading on people who study that.
Name one discarded scientific theory that has not been demonstrated to be false.
Let's look at what that means - 'demonstrated to be false'. There are two ways of doing that. One is to observe a phenomenon that is mutually exclusive with the theory. That is Popper's falsification. The other way is to look for observations and find none. That isn't.
A good many theories, such as Darwin's evolution, are accepted because there is a wealth of evidence supporting it, but the observations we'd expect to see with other theories (such as Lamarckianism) aren't present. There is no single observation that we see that contradicts Lamarckianism - there is an absence of supporting evidence.
That is a significant difference. A good number of theories are put to rest under the premise 'if A is right, we should see B. We don't see B, therefore we cannot have confidence in A being right'.
That is not falsification. Falsification is 'If we see B, A cannot logically be right'. It was an attempt to get past the fact that inductively speaking, the absence of an observation is not an absolute.
Athon