I didn't realise it was such a rigid dogma, my mistake.
Deviate from it, and the Ecclesiastical Council of Science will be all over you.
I didn't realise it was such a rigid dogma, my mistake.
....stuff.... bible ... more stuff....
Boeing employes high-quality engineers.
Example: I'm an engineer that wants to know the height of a chimney. I know my distance from the chimney and the angle from my feet to the top of the chimney. I can calculate its height very easily.
Am I doing science or engineering?
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with what you're referring to. Which of Einstein's theories were retained as provisionally true after they were disproven? And why?
Engineering is separate from science. Engineers apply what scientists learn.
<snip>
Example: I'm an engineer that wants to know the height of a chimney. I know my distance from the chimney and the angle from my feet to the top of the chimney. I can calculate its height very easily.
Am I doing science or engineering?
<snip>
Trick question. Neither. You're doing mathematics.
Engineering includes mathematics as well.
Trick question. Neither. You're doing mathematics.
Engineering includes mathematics as well.
When you apply mathematics to calculate something in the real world, you're using mathematics to do something else -- in this case engineering.
As ctamblyn pointed out, the applicability of mathematics to the real world is an application of scientific knowledge (i.e., engineering).
But the applicability of the mathematics to the real world goes through scientific rigor first (physics, etc.) before it can be called 'engineering'. When Galileo came up with his gravitational theory, he didn't push around math symbols (did he). He did experiments (science) and then formulated the mathematical model. The maths were then usable for engineering - such as calculating the trajectories of cannon shot (although general principles had already been discovered simply by experience - i.e.: lots of warring).
Yes, exactly.
So, engineering can occur without scientific knowledge, or engineering can use scientific knowledge. In neither case is the engineering suddenly science itself, but scientific knowledge can be important/necessary for certain engineering goals to be properly accomplished. Scientific knowledge allows mathematics to be applied to engineering problems, for example.
The Photonics Research Group, with more than 50 active researchers, is the largest research group in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, and one of the largest in photonics research in the UK. It has a world-recognised record of achievement in nonlinear photonics, high-speed optical transmission and processing, in fibre optic components and in fibre optic sensors.
It is an acknowledged centre of excellence for experimental and theoretical research in optical soliton, high speed optical systems, fibre grating technology, fibre sensors, microwave photonics, bio-photonics, and all-optical networks. The group pursues a diverse range of device-and-system-level topics at the leading edge of technology. It has recently successfully expanded its activities in a number of key areas including femtosecond pulsed laser techniques, medical sensing devices, and planar integrated optical circuits.
...
You realise that if we actualy followed that method we would have rejected Einstein's theories when they kept concludeing the universe was younger than some of the things in it?
Since scientists apply what other scientists have learnt before them* as well that does not separate engineering from science.
Engineering is not separate from science. Engineering includes science.
*Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that?
There may not be science going on there, but so what? The question of whether or not faith is involved in believing what is in that particular book can't be answered simply based on whether someone accepts the book as likely to be accurate.No. I'm saying that if you look up a fact in a book, believe it because it's in the book, and apply it how it shows to in the book, there's no science going on there.
Neverthess engineering is certainly much more effective because of science. Having a good theory of orbital mechanics, for instance, has made getting spacecraft to mars much easier than it otherwise would be, which is one piece of evidence that the scientific method works.Again, engineering is not science. Engineering has managed to create devices before the physical principles underlying those devices were determined by scientists, and vice versa.
Hold on there! After several months of following many discussions about the above subjects, you do stand out as one who come across as a religious zealot. The positions you so fanatically espouse seem to be more religion than science. Look in the mirror.
The problem I am having with this argument is the underlying assumption that religion actually has the right answer as to what we ought to do.I didn't say I thought the answers religions provide to ethical questions are very good, only that religion can answer questions about what we ought to do because religions typically consist of both a way of knowing *and* a set of values, whereas science is only a way of knowing and can therefore only provide information relevant to ethical decisions (as Rasmus has said).
Nominated for answering this issue waaay better than I could ever hope to.Quite so.
It's a little known fact that Boeing's workforce is almost entirely made from Kalahari Bushmen. A spear-throw and many thumb-widths was found to be the perfect length for a 747 wing.
Their skills with hand-made and decorative nuts and bolts lent a previously absent sense of adventure to the constructions.
Let me know which planet you are currently inhabiting (it doesn't seem to be Earth) and I'll join you there to continue the discussion.
I'll be flying in by biscuit, so I'll be easy to spot.
.