• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Evidence for why we know the New Testament writers told the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't answer my question. You said everything posted up has been debunked. I said if I can list at least 3 things that haven't been debunked would you apologize? You haven't answered that question so that implies you really didn't mean what you said or are having second thoughts.

People have got to realize that when you make a general statement that is derogatory towards me or the thread you better be able to back it up because there is a good chance I'm going to ask you to back it up.

But how about (finally) providing evidence that the New Testament writers told the truth? Or has that somehow become less important then demanding apologies from people? It sure seems that way!
 
This is much better than Alexander the Great (who conquered much of the known world) where most of what we know about him was written by historians over 400 years after his death.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n21/james-davidson/bonkers-about-boys

Completely irrelevant.

So you think it is completely irrelevant that professional historians turn to a historian who wrote 450 years after Alexander the Great's death to get most of their information about Alexander (who did the extraordinary thing of capturing much of the known world). I would disagree, I think it is very relevant because it shows that (in comparison) there is plenty of historical information on the life of Jesus when we compare it to the standards set by professional historians.

You might not want to believe in Jesus because you don't believe in miracles but you can't use a lack of history as a reason. If you do then you should also demand that Alexander the Great be removed from history books for lack of contemporary evidence.

You might not care about Alexander the Great but our history departments in colleges certainly do.
 
Last edited:
I said if I can list at least 3 things that haven't been debunked would you apologize?


Hey, DOC, why don't you just post 3 pieces of evidence that the NT writers were telling the truth? Not a link to a book that many of us can't see (and which seems to have been debunked in any case), not a claim that you have already posted such evidence, and not a count of your posts in this thread.

Just post the evidence.
 
Niggle, why do you hate Alexander the Great?

Why do you demand that he be removed from every book?

Why are you against history?
 
But how about (finally) providing evidence that the New Testament writers told the truth? Or has that somehow become less important then demanding apologies from people? It sure seems that way!
The evidence is in the thread. If he really believed there was no evidence (as he said) he would agree to apologize.

I don't particularly like doing this, but it is a way to keep people from continually interrupting the thread making derogatory statements they aren't willing to back up.
 
Last edited:
You might not want to believe in Jesus because you don't believe in miracles but you can't use a lack of history as a reason.


Why yes, yes you can, DOC.

And thanks for your implicit admission that there is a lack of historical support for the premise that the New Testament is true. I guess this thread is done now. Everybody can go home.
 
Hey, DOC, why don't you just post 3 pieces of evidence that the NT writers were telling the truth? Not a link to a book that many of us can't see (and which seems to have been debunked in any case), not a claim that you have already posted such evidence, and not a count of your posts in this thread.


Maybe, and I'm just guessing here, because he doesn't have 3 pieces of evidence?
 
Hey, DOC, why don't you just post 3 pieces of evidence that the NT writers were telling the truth? Not a link to a book that many of us can't see (and which seems to have been debunked in any case), not a claim that you have already posted such evidence, and not a count of your posts in this thread.

Just post the evidence.

DOC, could you address Mojo's post, please?
 
The evidence is in the thread. If he really believed there was no evidence (as he said) he would agree to apologize.

I don't particularly like doing this, but it is a way to keep people from continually interrupting the thread making derogatory statements they aren't willing to back up.


How about backing up your claim by actually posting the evidence?

Not a link to a book that many of us can't see (and which seems to have been debunked in any case), not a claim that you have already posted such evidence, and not a count of your posts in this thread.

Just post the evidence.
 
So you think it is completely irrelevant that professional historians turn to a historian who wrote 450 years after Alexander the Great's death to get most of their information about Alexander (who did the extraordinary thing of capturing much of the known world). I would disagree, I think it is very relevant because it shows that (in comparison) there is plenty of historical information on the life of Jesus when we compare it to the standards set by professional historians.

You might not want to believe in Jesus because you don't believe in miracles but you can't use a lack of history as a reason. If you do then you should also demand that Alexander the Great be removed from history books for lack of contemporary evidence.

You might not care about Alexander the Great but our history departments in colleges certainly do.


Come one, come all!

It's time for JREF's favorite game show...

NAME THAT FALLACY

The first person to show why saying that historians wrote a long time after Alexander the great, therefore the historians writing a long time after Jesus were telling the truth is a fallacy will talk home the prize of...

A picture of a blueberry!
(Sorry. Blame the economy.)
 
You might not want to believe in Jesus because you don't believe in miracles but you can't use a lack of history as a reason. If you do then you should also demand that Alexander the Great be removed from history books for lack of contemporary evidence.
So the best you got is that Jesus may have been a real person?
This is a far cry from providing evidence that he was the son of god.


Would you be willing to believe that there was a guy called JOhnny appleseed?
Would that mean that he was able to speak to the animals and that he seeded the entire US with apple trees?
 
Last edited:
I don't particularly like doing this
Then don't do it

but it is a way to keep people from continually interrupting the thread making derogatory statements they aren't willing to back up.
Bollocks

It IS NOT "interrupting the thread"

It IS NOT "making derogatory statements they aren't willing to back up"

It IS a persistent demand for you to stop lying
 
So instead of posting evidence; DOC is now whining and demanding apologies? DOC, stop derailing your own thread. I haven't seen him post anything new or relevant in months. It is plain to all that you have no evidence to post.

Why don't you prove Mojo and everyone else wrong? Just post some actual evidence.
 
Did I miss something? Which historians claimed that Alexander was the son of god and came back from the dead?
 
Why don't you prove Mojo and everyone else wrong? Just post some actual evidence.
DOC know why he doesn't do that. I know why DOC doesn't do that.
I know that DOC knows why he doesn't do that. DOC knows that I know that DOC knows why he doesn't do that. What I don't know is why DOC continues to pretend that we don't know why he doesn't do that.




Sorry I was channeling Dr.A.
 
Doc,

If you post 3 pieces of evidence for why we know the New Testament writers told the truth I will not only apologise but I will also ski naked down Mt. Everest with lilies up my nose.
I would like to see that. I'm actually wishing for DOC to win...although I'm not even going to bet on this.
 
Did I miss something? Which historians claimed that Alexander was the son of god and came back from the dead?
I think that, rather than missing something, you were merely suckered by DOC into being distracted by something that is completely and utterly irrelevant... sorta like Luke

Woo is the path to the ignorance. Woo leads to irrelevancies. Irrelevancies lead to nonsense. Nonsense leads to delusions​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom