• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

UFOs: The Research, the Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm....this sounds very familiar. These descriptions sound a lot like the reports of stars and planets by various witnesses in Hendry's UFO Handbook (Sphere edition):

In other reports, however, witnesses claime they could see a shape even though they described the apparent size of the star as normal. Included among these shapes are: discs and discs with domes ("like two plates put together - case 332; "elongated, big as a distant plane"- case 377; "dome on top and bottom" - for one and a half hours in case 332), domes, "a plate with a hole in the center," vertically oriented small triangles, ovals, a football...even "teacups", "Mexican sombreros," and "bannanas as large as the moon, shrinking back down to a star." Peoplae have seen "spikes," "beams," "appendages," and sparkles shooting out in all directions from bright stars. In case 602, a woman kept in touch with a sympathetic controller for hours at the local airport as she watched stars forming shapes like the letters "V" and "M." The controller could not see the shapes, but a pilot in the area confirmed that there were unusual atmospheric conditions. In two cases, one star was seen to split up into two (and three) close lights and rejoin again. (Hendry - The UFO Handbook page 28)

Oh, but they were using binoculars:

Binoculars, working in conjunction with the atmosphere, created shapes out of star in many of the reports. IFO case 26 was based on a star viewed for forty minutes yet through binoculars the light looked like a "dome" shape, changing red, green, blue, and yellow. In case 51, a star seen in Des Moinse was turned into a "cup and saucer" through binoculars. A star that was watched for three solid hours became a mushroom shape. Venus became a "domed disc" and other stars became "pentagons," "cones," "triangles," and so on.... (Hendry 196-7)

Oh, but they were trained air traffic controllers:

Even FAA controllers are from from perfect. One was startled in case 838 by scintillating stars which he guessed at 12-20,000 feet. I was once told by a member of the FAA control at the Detroit metropolitan airport, "Do you know how many times we have cleared Venus to land?" (Hendry 102)

Just to let everyone know that the bright star Capella was low in the Northeast when this all began. Which remains of another case:

And another sighting - in Northern Michigan - on July 29 of last year, a pilot chased a brilliant multicolored object close to the horizon, and due north. He flew at 21,000 feet, followed the object for over a half-hour but could not gain on it. Radar operator [in the aircraft] reported contact with the object for about thirty seconds. And ground control interceptor station reported blips too [on its radar]. In this case, it seems certain that our harried pilot was pursuing [the star] Capella! Capella was at lower culmination, that is, at the lowest point of its swing around the pole just skirting the horizon. I have seen it at that position myself in Canada, and can vouch for the fact that its blue, yellow, and red twinkling can be spectacular. (Klass UFOs: The public decieved p. 78).

BTW, this was not Klass, it was Hynek writing for the Journal of the Optical Society of America in April of 1953.

As an additional note the bright planet Jupiter was also visible in the ENE.

Were some of the observations made of stars? It certainly sounds like it. Does it mean the entire case can be explained by stars? No, but one has to consider the idea that they may have played a role in starting the events.

I doubt RRamjet will even listen and proclaim all sorts of things that prove me wrong. However, I am just trying to point out possibilities to consider. More objective readers might pay attention to this information.

Oh yes, I have “listened” intently. I have followed your points through very carefully. As I MUST do so if I am to show how they are misguided or otherwise inapplicable in the case under examination.

And you know I actually find this tactic is somewhat amusing. When it comes to me presenting cases and hypothesising about what they might mean, the “debunkers” claim each case cannot be related to the others as a cohesive whole - that the evidence from each does not translate into an “overall” evidence base from which we might draw conclusions….yet when it comes to refuting cases, the “debunkers” invariable concatenate the conclusions from numbers of disparate case reports as if they do form a cohesive whole - from which they then draw conclusions! Hypocritical? No, I really don’t think they are sophisticated enough in their approach to even realise they are doing it.

The other thing about presenting the conclusions of such cases in such a manner is that it denies us the context and the evidence to enable a reasonable assessment as to whether the indicated cases CAN be related to the one under discussion (in this instance the Iranian UFO case). We are even denied the data to make a rational assessment as to whether the conclusions are even valid in the cases they supposedly represent.

All it amounts to in the end is a lot of unfounded assertion about cases we have no knowledge of and are provided with no details to even allow us to find out about them. Hendry could be making the conclusions up from whole cloth and proposing any old assertion about the cases in question and we have no way of verifying whether he is thus merely speculating or not. We are entitled to dismiss such observations as Hendry’s as mere unfounded assertion that is not supported by evidence.

Nevertheless, The first mass grouping of such unfounded assertion presented by Astrophotographer means, I presume, that people allegedly misidentify stars in various ways. How is this applicable to the Iranian UFO case? We have no idea. We don’t even know if any stars were visible on the night in question. There might have been a high cloud cover for example below which there was unlimited visibility (and according to debunker logic it is now up to them to show that this was not the case!).

But let us look at the case itself. For a start there were four separate (independent) calls to the control tower by civilians before the Pirouzi (the chief controller on the night) even began to take an interest. As each call came in - it naturally became increasingly unlikely that a mere “star” was being misidentified. Of course that does not rule the contention out.

But once Pirouzi Did take an interest what happened?
”It took him a minute or so of looking, but then he saw it. “I was amazed, flabbergasted. I didn’t know what to think. There definitely was a very strange object there in the sky right over Tehran. To the naked eye it looked like a large star low in the sky but without the twinkle.” However, through binoculars he could see many details of the shape and color. “It was rectangular in shape at a height of about 6,000 ft.” The right end was blue, the left end was blue, and in the middle was a red light making a circular motion. He thought that the object was probably cylindrical. “It reminded me of the flashing light of an ambulance, this one (red light) was not flashing. The circular motion of the red light was not continuous. Every 90 degrees or so, it paused for a fraction of a second.” He estimated that it took a second or two to make a complete circle. The object was also oscillating or tilting like a see-saw.”​

Rectangular? I don’t believe that possibility was mentioned in Hendry’s “assertions”. Then what happened?

” “Suddenly it appeared at another position one mile further on.” That is, it was slowly traveling north but suddenly it disappeared and a few seconds later appeared at a further north location. Pirouzi also said it moved southward at times. “I could see it this time as bright as a sun. It was all yellow, like a star, but much bigger. Then it appeared to me to be like a starfish. I can’t be sure of the order of the colors but there were blue, orange, red and yellow lights.”​
(http://www.brumac.8k.com/IranJetCase/)

Traveling over distances of miles? Changing locations? I don’t believe THAT was mentioned by Hendry either…

Oh but they were using binoculars… but MOVING stars? No, I contend that “moving” over distances of miles is not a reasonable thing to assume that binocular artefacts can produce.

Oh…and you mention a pilot chases a “star”. Interesting. Did the star chase him back, disable his communication and weapons systems, and then overfly him in full view of the control tower? I think not.

You even admit that the case cannot be accounted for by a mere misidentification of stars. I have considered the role they might have played and it appears on the evidence highly unlikely that stars contributed to the case in any way, shape, or form.

Once again you are trying to pass red herrings off as evidence against dolphins. It just does not work once we notice the difference in the described characteristics of each.

Perhaps you should just stick to the evidence in the case.
 
No, we have first hand accounts (eg; Jafari speaking at the National Press Club, Nov, 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJydT3AZ370).
And only 30 years after the event then... plenty of time for him to have read and altered his story to fit with the UFOlogists interpretation (a distinct possibility overlooked by you).

Of course the fact that he was gaining celebrity status appearing on Coast to Coast, Whitley Strieber's Dreamland, The Anderson Cooper Show 360 Degrees and a host of other 'personal appearances (on sensationalist shows) wouldn't colour the story at all?
And don't put too much emphasis on the National Press Club, apparently it wasn't them who arranged anything, though it must have been seen as a master stroke to add an air of authority to the whole circus.
 
Hello. I'm a new guy here and following the Tehran part of the thread. I have some time in the F-4 and was thinking of posting my thoughts on it from an aircrew point of view. I have hesitated from doing so due the the fact that this thread is getting so very long in the tooth, and that the message I typed, ended up being 5 1/2 pages in MS Word. I don't know if it would cast some light or just spread more heat on the discussion. If someone wants to see it, I'll check back tomorrow night and post it if desired.
 
Hello. I'm a new guy here and following the Tehran part of the thread. I have some time in the F-4 and was thinking of posting my thoughts on it from an aircrew point of view. I have hesitated from doing so due the the fact that this thread is getting so very long in the tooth, and that the message I typed, ended up being 5 1/2 pages in MS Word. I don't know if it would cast some light or just spread more heat on the discussion. If someone wants to see it, I'll check back tomorrow night and post it if desired.

It might be an interesting but it does need to be directly related to the topic under discussion. After all 5 1/2 pages is a lot of text! and there is a lot of F-4 "history" on the web which is easily accessible. There is an F-4 society, etc. Perhaps some reworking with some tight editing could bring the size down a bit? Not meaning to throw cold water on the idea, just worried about relevancy and size is all. Anyway, just my thoughts...
 
Oh yes, I have “listened” intently. I have followed your points through very carefully. As I MUST do so if I am to show how they are misguided or otherwise inapplicable in the case under examination.

And you know I actually find this tactic is somewhat amusing. When it comes to me presenting cases and hypothesising about what they might mean, the “debunkers” claim each case cannot be related to the others as a cohesive whole - that the evidence from each does not translate into an “overall” evidence base from which we might draw conclusions….yet when it comes to refuting cases, the “debunkers” invariable concatenate the conclusions from numbers of disparate case reports as if they do form a cohesive whole - from which they then draw conclusions! Hypocritical? No, I really don’t think they are sophisticated enough in their approach to even realise they are doing it.
And you do the exact opposite.

You want to treat all sightings as a whole mass providing evidence that individual cases cannot. But when cases are shown to be caused by misperceptions, or hoaxes, you want to ignore them, and treat them as though they aren't in the same class as the other UFO cases.

How is that not hypocritical?
 
Hello. I'm a new guy here and following the Tehran part of the thread. I have some time in the F-4 and was thinking of posting my thoughts on it from an aircrew point of view. I have hesitated from doing so due the the fact that this thread is getting so very long in the tooth, and that the message I typed, ended up being 5 1/2 pages in MS Word. I don't know if it would cast some light or just spread more heat on the discussion. If someone wants to see it, I'll check back tomorrow night and post it if desired.


Go for it. The only real evidence that's been presented so far is for blimps, and it's been done to death. If you have evidence that it gets hot in Iran, or that water is wet, you will likely win the argument here, as have many others. Sadly, Rramjet has yet to chalk up a victory.



It might be an interesting but it does need to be directly related to the topic under discussion. After all 5 1/2 pages is a lot of text! and there is a lot of F-4 "history" on the web which is easily accessible. There is an F-4 society, etc. Perhaps some reworking with some tight editing could bring the size down a bit? Not meaning to throw cold water on the idea, just worried about relevancy and size is all. Anyway, just my thoughts...


Where on Earth did you get the idea that the arguments you've presented here would qualify you to advise others on how to post effectively? Do you believe your techniques have been successful in making your case so far?
 
I contend the Iranian UFO is no mere UFO it is an “alien” UFO.

How do we know this?

“Pirouzi gave the binoculars to the others present and “they saw the object as a half-circle, in the same colors, blue, range, red and yellow.” The object seemed to change it’s shape. While Pirouzi over several minutes watched the apparent shape seemed to change from cylindrical, with blue ends and a red light going around the middle, to a fan like shape with drooping blades (“starfish” shaped) with fuzzy edges. The “blades” were dark orange near the hub changing to yellow at the tips. “The hub itself was made up of two concentric areas of color. There seemed to be a large green surface and then a smaller core which glowed like a piece of red hot coal.” One of the trainee witnesses compared it to an orange-red horseshoe with a blue area in the enclosed space of the horseshoe.”

(…)

Youssefi ordered him to close again to get a better view. This time, according to the Air Force teletype message (see below) of Lt. Col. Mooy, when he got to a range of about 25 nautical miles (about 29 statute miles; 1 nm = 6077 feet), he “lost all instrumentation and communications (UHF radio and intercom).” [Note: the intercom allows communication between the pilot in the front seat and the radar operator in the back seat of the aircraft.]

(…)


The plane tried to pursue the object while flying south of Tehran. According to Pirouzi the pilot reported that he couldn’t easily follow the track of the object because it would change its position very fast, appearing at one location and then suddenly at another location,

(…)

The pilot put the “pedal to the metal” and reached a speed of about Mach 2 (1,500 mph or 25 miles per minute) and still couldn’t catch it. He was flying toward the Afghanistan border, about 500 miles east of Tehran. Youssefi ordered him to return to Tehran if he couldn’t catch it, so he turned and headed back eastward. The object also reversed direction and began to chase the plane. In a short section of an audio tape recording (I presume made at the Air Traffic Control Center at Mehrabad) that was published in a local newspaper (see below), Jafari reported “something is coming at me from behind. It is 15 miles away…now ten miles…now five miles…It is level now…I think it is going to crash into me…It has just passed me by..missing me narrowly..” According to the newspaper report, “The disturbed voice of the pilot was clear on the tape. He then asked to be guided back to base.”

(…)

As the second jet attempted to close on the object it suddenly emitted a smaller bright object, and this object headed toward the jet. According to the Air Force teletype message, “The object and the pursuing F-4 continued a course that was south of Tehran when another brightly lighted object estimated to be 1/2 to 1/3 the apparent size of the moon, came out of the original object.

This second object headed straight toward the F-4 at a very fast pace. The pilot attempted to fire an AIM-9 (heat seeking) missile at the object but at that instant his weapons control panel went off and he lost all communications (UHS and intercom). At this point the pilot initiated a turn and a negative G dive to get away. As he turned the object fell in trail at what appeared to be about 3-4 nm. As he continued in his turn away from the primary object the second object went to the inside of his turn and then returned to the primary object for a perfect rejoin.”

(…)

. At this time the pilot was approaching the airport and Pirouzi and the others at the control tower saw this happening. According to Pirouzi, “I saw this light for the first time, though only for a few seconds” after it first appeared. As the plane went “screaming” over the airport Pirouzi and the others saw a dark rectangular form almost “sitting” on top of the jet. It was at about this time that the communications were lost, cut off in mid-sentence. The plane then went into a diving turn and it wasn’t until the plane and object were over Saveh, about 15 miles south of the airport, that communications were re-established. Then the pilot reported to Pirouzi that the second object had broken off the chase and was traveling within a few meters of the first. Then he reported that they had rejoined, as described above.

According to the Air Force teletype message, “Shortly after the second object joined up with the primary object another object appeared to come out of the other side of the primary object going straight down, at a great rate of speed. The F-4 crew had regained communications and the weapons control panel and watched the object approach the ground anticipating a large explosion. This object appeared to come to rest gently on the earth and cast a very bright light over an area of about 2-3 kilometers.” According to a newspaper report pilot estimated the size of this smaller object to be about 4.5 m in diameter.”​
(http://www.brumac.8k.com/IranJetCase/)

So we have shape-shifting ability, the ability to disrupt F-4 communications and weapons systems, the ability to “jump” locations, to fly at speeds above Mach2, to flee and chase the F-4s, to split apart and rejoin, and to land part of itself…

Now all THAT together is totally outside the limits of ANY known natural or technological “object”.

And while the object itself is technically an “unknown”, the characteristics are certainly KNOWN. And they describe, I contend, something completely “alien” to the natural and technological environment. Thus it is an “alien” craft.

Moreover, it might not have been “occupied” (there is no evidence to say whether it was or not), but it certainly exhibited intelligent control!

And exactly how much of this is comming from an official source, i.e. the routing slip and how much is unconfirmed stuff from a reporter on the national enquirer?
 
And you do the exact opposite.

You want to treat all sightings as a whole mass providing evidence that individual cases cannot. But when cases are shown to be caused by misperceptions, or hoaxes, you want to ignore them, and treat them as though they aren't in the same class as the other UFO cases.

How is that not hypocritical?

Of course I ignore cases "shown to be caused by misperceptions, or hoaxes", for those cases are not UFOs!

I am only interested in cases that have been categorised as "unknown" (ie; UFO - such a Rogue River). The current case under discussion (The Iranian UFO) has already been claimed as "unidentified" by Stray Cat (in no uncertain terms using all capitals to do so no less) ...but others as yet seem to be unwilling to accept that assertion. So how do you see that case? UFO?
 
And exactly how much of this is comming from an official source, i.e. the routing slip and how much is unconfirmed stuff from a reporter on the national enquirer?

Well, actually...

“As Mooy later explained to me, Iranian officials had invited the USAF section chief to send representatives to attend a “debriefing” of one of the two flight crews involved in the incident. Mooy, along with Colonel Jerry R. Johnson, were assigned to the task. The memorandum-for-the record, undated, reads as follows:” (Klass, P., J. UFOS, The Public Deceived. 1983 Prometheus Books. Ch14. p111)

NOTE: Bold emphasis mine (Rr).

So Klass actually SPOKE to Mooy to confirm the details of the case... Klass also confirms that Mooy wrote the memorandum... want any more? ('cos you know I got more... :)
 
Last edited:
And only 30 years after the event then... plenty of time for him to have read and altered his story to fit with the UFOlogists interpretation (a distinct possibility overlooked by you).

Of course the fact that he was gaining celebrity status appearing on Coast to Coast, Whitley Strieber's Dreamland, The Anderson Cooper Show 360 Degrees and a host of other 'personal appearances (on sensationalist shows) wouldn't colour the story at all?
And don't put too much emphasis on the National Press Club, apparently it wasn't them who arranged anything, though it must have been seen as a master stroke to add an air of authority to the whole circus.

Now of course he would NOT do that – for the simple reason that Mooy’s Memorandum-for the-Record is in the public domain and Jafari’s statements can be checked against that at any time – and we have none other than the authority of Phillip J. Klass to vouch for the authenticity of that memorandum (and that it was Mooy who wrote it and that Mooy was in the interview with Jafari)! And I can provide further quotes from Klass to support all of that if necessary.

You people really try and put the worst possible "spin" on everything whenever you possibly can. It is a deceitful tactic. Your post Stray Cat represents one of the worst examples of that very thing.

You impugn the reputation of Jafari - an honorable Iranian Airforce pilot - simple because he has accepted invitations to give his testimony in various media forums - forums that YOU assume somehow taint everyone who appears on them! This is not a rational or logical or even scientific way of advancing our knowledge of ANYTHING, let alone the topic under discussion.

If you are a true skeptic (rather than a mere "debunker") you would take the opportunity to rationally explore the evidence placed before you in an effort to gain whatever knowledge might be available.

Every true scientist is, almost by definition a skeptic. For the members of JREF posting in this thread to call themselves "skeptics", on the evidence of your post at least, is patently doing a disservice to the term and to scientists in general.
 
<snip>

If you are a true skeptic (rather than a mere "debunker") you would take the opportunity to rationally explore the evidence placed before you in an effort to gain whatever knowledge might be available.

Every true scientist is, almost by definition a skeptic. For the members of JREF posting in this thread to call themselves "skeptics", on the evidence of your post at least, is patently doing a disservice to the term and to scientists in general.


Your private definitions, straw men and faulty logic are letting you down yet again.
 
Of course I ignore cases "shown to be caused by misperceptions, or hoaxes", for those cases are not UFOs!

I am only interested in cases that have been categorised as "unknown" (ie; UFO - such a Rogue River). The current case under discussion (The Iranian UFO) has already been claimed as "unidentified" by Stray Cat (in no uncertain terms using all capitals to do so no less) ...but others as yet seem to be unwilling to accept that assertion. So how do you see that case? UFO?
Did you hear a whooshing sound as you wrote that response?

That was the point of my post whizzing over your head.
 
Now of course he would NOT do that – for the simple reason that Mooy’s Memorandum-for the-Record is in the public domain and Jafari’s statements can be checked against that at any time – and we have none other than the authority of Phillip J. Klass to vouch for the authenticity of that memorandum (and that it was Mooy who wrote it and that Mooy was in the interview with Jafari)! And I can provide further quotes from Klass to support all of that if necessary.
Of course there's something in the public domain... that is my point.
How do you know that what is in the public domain was actually what happened in a case were confusion played such a prominent part in an event that lasted more than an hour and a half and still resulted in the object not being identified. And from what I read, the provenance of who said what to who seems be very unclear with all sorts of confusions regarding the memorandum, routing slip etc. with the added confusion of two anonymous sources and a guy from the National Enquirer.

You people really try and put the worst possible "spin" on everything whenever you possibly can. It is a deceitful tactic. Your post Stray Cat represents one of the worst examples of that very thing.
No actually, it presents a possibility. And the only reason I present that possibility is because I have had more experience of it from investigating UFO reports than I have had in finding out that everyone was reported accurately. Again, I am not saying it DID happen, only that I don't think it had been ruled out as a possibility.

You impugn the reputation of Jafari - an honorable Iranian Airforce pilot - simple because he has accepted invitations to give his testimony in various media forums - forums that YOU assume somehow taint everyone who appears on them! This is not a rational or logical or even scientific way of advancing our knowledge of ANYTHING, let alone the topic under discussion.
No, a rational and logical way to advance knowledge is to actually watch and listen to some of those shows and see the amount of 'similarly' well documented, well researched subjects get covered. I would have thought that if there were really any knowledge to advance in relation to Jafari's testimony, he may have appeared on say the Science channel, but obviously 'the man' don't want him upsetting the applecart :rolleyes:

If you are a true skeptic (rather than a mere "debunker") you would take the opportunity to rationally explore the evidence placed before you in an effort to gain whatever knowledge might be available.
I have... conclusion is still UNIDENTIFIED.
My scepticism doesn't over reach toward a conclusion from the information available, that I believe is partly down to a lack of confidence in the accuracy of the data.

Every true scientist is, almost by definition a skeptic. For the members of JREF posting in this thread to call themselves "skeptics", on the evidence of your post at least, is patently doing a disservice to the term and to scientists in general.
Why is presenting possibilities not scientific?
Surely one aspect of the peer review process is to allow other people to suggest possible faults in the idea being reviewed?
 
Last edited:
And I can provide further quotes from Klass to support all of that if necessary.
Then by all means do so. Mooy may very well have sat in on the “debriefing” but we still haven’t seen a copy of this memo in full from an official source and the "Mooy as the source of the teletype" account contradicts McKenzie’s and Pratt’s account contradicts Jafari’s…

Jafari isn’t listed as one of the pilots by Pratt and if the memo is undated as Klass points out, how can we be sure when it was actually written and where does Mooy actually claim he wrote the teletype that McKenize claims he wrote? There are some differences between the teletype and the memo so it would seem we have a bit of a chicken and the egg problem here…

Hello. I'm a new guy here and following the Tehran part of the thread. I have some time in the F-4 and was thinking of posting my thoughts on it from an aircrew point of view. I have hesitated from doing so due the the fact that this thread is getting so very long in the tooth, and that the message I typed, ended up being 5 1/2 pages in MS Word. I don't know if it would cast some light or just spread more heat on the discussion. If someone wants to see it, I'll check back tomorrow night and post it if desired.
Welcome to JREF Puddle Duck and by all means let it fly… looking forward to hearing your perspective on this matter.
 
Last edited:
Rectangular? I don’t believe that possibility was mentioned in Hendry’s “assertions”. Then what happened?.

I love your term "assertions". This is actual data from witnesses describing stars. It is a control group which one can compare UFO descriptions. He describes multiple shapes, letter shapes, etc. with such a myriad of shapes being seen, it is obvious that the individual's perception plays a role.

” “Suddenly it appeared at another position one mile further on.” That is, it was slowly traveling north but suddenly it disappeared and a few seconds later appeared at a further north location. Pirouzi also said it moved southward at times. “I could see it this time as bright as a sun. It was all yellow, like a star, but much bigger. Then it appeared to me to be like a starfish. I can’t be sure of the order of the colors but there were blue, orange, red and yellow lights.”​

Let's see what Hendry had to say about apparent motion of stars:

Witnesses have "seen" stars:

***dart up and down (many cases)
***wiggle from side to side (many cases)
***zigzag
***execute loops and figure eights (many cases)
***drift "like a pendulum" - cases 450 and 1,086
***rise like a "leaf falling up" for two hours - case 329
***ascend and descend in steps (one case)
***meander in square patterns---even in an A shape
(Hendry 26)

Pages 94-96 talk about various cases where witnesses statements describe what he lists above. I can add my various experiences associated with this subject but I am sure you will ignore them.

The witness describes it moving north and then south. The distances of miles are just completely worthless. Without azimuth readings, one can not make any justification about how far it drifted either way.

Oh but they were using binoculars… but MOVING stars? No, I contend that “moving” over distances of miles is not a reasonable thing to assume that binocular artefacts can produce.

Oh…and you mention a pilot chases a “star”. Interesting. Did the star chase him back, disable his communication and weapons systems, and then overfly him in full view of the control tower? I think not.

You even admit that the case cannot be accounted for by a mere misidentification of stars. I have considered the role they might have played and it appears on the evidence highly unlikely that stars contributed to the case in any way, shape, or form.

Once again you are trying to pass red herrings off as evidence against dolphins. It just does not work once we notice the difference in the described characteristics of each.

Perhaps you should just stick to the evidence in the case.

I mentioned the binocular issue at length in the previous post and in another when discussing Rogue river. Was the apparent motion due to the user not holding the binoculars steady or him shifting his attention between two objects. BTW, what was the weather that night. Could clouds have obscurred the "UFO" for a few minutes and then it reappeared? This appearance and disappearance could give the impression of moving north and then south again.

Your reference to "red herrings" is another effort of you to avoid upleasant issues associated with the testimony of the principle witnesses. Apparently you are not interested in any of the human issues associated with UFO sightings. It is you who appears to be ignoring evidence. BTW, I never said a star disabled the aircraft or overflew the tower. However, I keep asking for the records associated with the aircraft maintenance and problems. You can't produce them and they probably don't exist. However, under combat conditions, machines fail and it would only take some faulty wiring, bad solder joints, loose circuit breaker, etc to produce the problems encountered by the plane while it was conducting maneuvers.

In the Hynek article, I wonder why the star was tracked on radar and the pilot kept trying to pursue the star? This is not the only case. Something similar was found to have happened in the Lakenheath 1957 encounter. Dr. David Clarke discovered this when interviewing one of the pilots who stated he was to pursue a UFO that had been picked up on radar. After a few minutes of pursuit, he realized it was just a star. There was something similar in the Condon report where a pilot was asked to pursue Venus. So, pilots have been asked by ground controllers to pursue stars and have pursued stars before. That does not mean this happened here but it certainly can not be dismissed with a wave of the hand as you tend to do.
 
Last edited:
Hello. I'm a new guy here and following the Tehran part of the thread. I have some time in the F-4 and was thinking of posting my thoughts on it from an aircrew point of view. I have hesitated from doing so due the the fact that this thread is getting so very long in the tooth, and that the message I typed, ended up being 5 1/2 pages in MS Word. I don't know if it would cast some light or just spread more heat on the discussion. If someone wants to see it, I'll check back tomorrow night and post it if desired.

By all means do. My father was an AO for twenty-plus (he was disappointed I chose Subs for my career path) and had some experience with F-4's in the later part of his career aboard the Independence (late 1960s). Some of his stories were always interesting as I am sure yours are. I look forward to any light you can shed on the subject.
 
Well, actually...

“As Mooy later explained to me, Iranian officials had invited the USAF section chief to send representatives to attend a “debriefing” of one of the two flight crews involved in the incident. Mooy, along with Colonel Jerry R. Johnson, were assigned to the task. The memorandum-for-the record, undated, reads as follows:” (Klass, P., J. UFOS, The Public Deceived. 1983 Prometheus Books. Ch14. p111)

NOTE: Bold emphasis mine (Rr).

So Klass actually SPOKE to Mooy to confirm the details of the case... Klass also confirms that Mooy wrote the memorandum... want any more? ('cos you know I got more... :)

How about the alien ship's log signed by the commander.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom