THE DEBATE: Astrophotographer V. Rramjet
I have listed the arguments and replies so far. Astrophotographers arguments are in italics. His arguments are written first, mine follow, and so on...
This debate on Rogue River (
http://www.brumac.8k.com/Rogue/RogueRiver2.htm) is instructive as it covers many of the points and issues already raised in a concise succinct form.
PART 1.
Prologue:
We agree the witnesses saw something.
Astrophotographer raised a question about whether the witnesses could have misinterpreted what they saw.
1.1
“in one case you say the witnesses were lying” and “In the other, you are stating the witnesses were simply mistaken.”
Ummm… what? Actually I think it might (and please correct me if I am wrong), it just might be the debunker position to claim that…not me…
“You were the one stating we must be questioning the witnesses veracity (i.e. truthfulness). We are not making that claim. We are questioning if the witnesses were accurate.”
Then you must show me why you question the accuracy of the witnesses.
1.2
“The ability of witnesses to accurately report what they have seen is a common problem with UFO reports.”
Sure… but that is a general assertion. A generalisation. You NEED to explain precisely how that pertains to THIS case (Rogue River).
“Here we go again. I thought we beat this to death long ago. Trot out that old horse of yours and we can beat it some more. Witnesses can make mistakes and therefore it is possible for a mistake to be made here. That is how it pertains.”
But you MUST then direct your assertion to some part of the witness testimony you consider inaccurate and explain why you think so. Otherwise you are again merely saying “It could be so, therefore it is so. And we all know that is a logical fallacy.
1.2 addendum
“The witnesses were accurate in their descriptions. We already have seen where their estimates of distance are varied. What makes you think they were accurate in their observations? What evidence do you have that they were 100% accurate in their descriptions? When compared to a blimp, it does have the same aspects. Seen from the right angle with the right lighting, I can see how they might confuse a blimp for the object that was drawn. Therefore, you can not eliminate the possibility of it being a blimp without something better.”
All I am stating is that unless we have sound reasons to believe there were substantive inaccuracies in the witness testimony that affect what we can conclude from that testimony, then we MUST take the testimony at face value. You state the “their” estimate of distance varied. Whose estimate varied? Moreover A blimp is CIGAR SHAPED but the UFO as described was circular “like a pancake”. The UFO was examined through binoculars, even when with the naked eye they could see it was circular…NOT cigar shaped. Your assessment merely denies the veracity of the witness testimony, yet you have not explained WHY you believe that testimony to be inaccurate in this respect.
1.3
“Of course, you assume all witnesses are 100% reliable.”
Actually I have NEVER claimed that. This is an assertion that is ENTIRELY without foundation.
I thought that was your position in the previous thread. Whatever....
You are simply mistaken. Link to ANY statement in ANY thread where I have made that claim. Again you are resorting to the fallacious “It might have been, therefore it is.”
1.4
“The real fact surrounding such testimony is that it is not 100% reliable.”
Yes, agreed, but we DO KNOW PRECISELY under what conditions eyewitness testimony can be unreliable (note “can be” – meaning not always even under those conditions) and we can therefore account for those conditions in our assessments. If you claim the witnesses were unreliable in the Rgue River case then you must trell me HOW it was that they were unreliable. Merely stating the general “witnesses are unreliable” does NOT make it so.
“The potential for error is there as is common in many UFO reports. We already know the witnesses could not be consistent for what they thought the distance was. That in itself indicates an error and, as a result, the report loses some reliability. What makes you think the witnesses were highly reliable?”
I am claiming ONLY that unless we have reason to disbelieve the witness testimony then we must take them at face value. Again you make a sweeping generalisation but FAIL to point to ANY aspect of the witnesses statements showing HOW they might have been inaccurate. For example if size was an issue, then you must show HOW the witnesses could have mistaken size. Dr. Maccabee included in his research report a detailed assessment of that very topic. Do you refute his assessment and on what grounds? AGAIN… merely stating that they COULD have been inaccurate does not MAKE them inaccurate.
PART 2
2.1
“AFOSI is manned by humans that can make mistakes.”
Yes, a general assertion that humans make mistakes…but again, how is that directly relevant to this case? Were mistakes made? And if so where?
[
Astrophotographer provides no reply here]
2.2
“Perhaps the investigating officer did not think of a blimp as a source.”
But this presupposes that Agent brooks did not consider “blimps” to be an explanation… we have no way of knowing either way. You contend he did NOT think of blimps. I contend he DID think of blimps. Therefore an impasse is reached. We must agree to disagree on this one and remove it from consideration as having a bearing on the matter.
“Actually Brooks spoke at length of what he attempted to discover in his report. He never mentioned blimps or checking with the Navy about their blimps, which indicates he did not think about it. He did mention trying to determine air traffic in the area through the SF CAA. That seemed to be a dead end. Can you demonstrate he looked into the possibility of blimps to back up your contention that he did think of blimps?”
Can you demonstrate he did not? As I say, neither can demonstrate their case here because the case, as reported, simply does not contain the relevant information. I repeat therefore we must strike this point from further analysis as “unknowable”.
2.2 addendum
“Brooks thought of looking into the Blimp explanation. However, he never mentions it in his report despite mentioning a whole host of things he checked. Since it was not mentioned then you can not claim he thought of it.”
And by the same token you cannot claim he did not. As I say, neither can demonstrate their case here because the case, as reported, simply does not contain the relevant information. I repeat therefore we must strike this point from further analysis as “unknowable”.
2.3
“To me, there are a myriad of possible sources with a blimp being a reasonable possibility”
Now here you make a value judgement (“reasonable possibility”). I contend that you need to SHOW, using “reasonable” evidence that blimp is - not only a reasonable possibility - but also why you chose THAT possibility over the “myriad” of other possibilities you raise the spectre of. And remember, a blimp factory nearby is NOT enough. You MUST show reliable evidence that blimps actually flew in the Rogue River area. For example, I live 50 miles from an airport. That does NOT mean I see ANY planes from that airport fly over my location.
[
Astrophotographer provides no reply here]
2.4
“I would think you would be the one questioning AFOSI. This is during the "dark days" of project GRUDGE where the whole idea was to sweep all UFO reports under the rug (if you believe UFOlogists). AFOSI would simply have stated, we looked into this and it was a blimp/kite/airplane/etc. Apparently, AFOSI suddenly becomes highly reliable when were are talking about a "True" UFO."
No, why would I be questioning the ability of the AFOSI? In fact, if you notice in the OP, I list all their reports as evidence. I DO claim the AirForce did the best job they could under the circumstances. I further contend that if the AFOSI seriously thought “blimp” to have been even a remote possibility they would have jumped on that explanation with alacrity – instead they reached the (entirely unreasonable IMO) “kite” explanation from over 340 miles away – when the blimp explanation was much closer to hand. Besides…”blimp” does NOT match the eyewitness descriptions.
[
Astrophotographer provides no reply here]
2.5
“If you want to present evidence that it was not a blimp, you have to do better than just say the witnesses would have recognized a blimp. You have to present evidence that there were no blimps in the area. Let me know what you find out. Then we can look at other possibilities once that is eliminated. Until then, the possibility of it being a blimp remains.”
Now this really turns logic on its head. For example, if I claimed “UFOs are alien craft” you would immediately require me to produce EVIDENCE that my contention was correct. Yet, when you claim “The UFO is a blimp”, you suddenly don’t think you need to provide evidence. I therefore conclude (as IMO any reasonable person would) that this is a hypocritical stance to take. You are in fact applying a double standard here Astrophotographer - and I suggest that is NOT the stance of a critical thinker.
________________________________
I appreciate your replies Astrophotographer and commend you for taking the time to enter into the debate. Thank you.
I have answered all your contentions as best I can - but you have failed to address a number of my substantive points. Would you care to address them now?
I invite the readers to assess each of our arguments and whether or not you think Astrophotographer has successfully argued that my conclusion of UFO in the case of Rogue River is in any way misguided.