• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Forum birdwatching 2009

I just told the tale of the concussed swallow to the regular PM room attendant who has been absent for a week. He said, "swift, you mean?" "No, Calum, I had it in my hand and it was a swallow."

We haven't definitely identified any swifts this year at all. I'm still trying to get the mama-swift-feeding-babies pic from him.

Rolfe.


Five will get you ten it's going to be of swallows.

[ I've no idea what that expression actually means, but its intended to indicate I'm quite sure. :) ]
 
My own records for this year. As you can see I've barely had time to be outdoors at all this year. Courses, teaching and, over the last weeks, having to do a thing on the Science Fair has taken most of my time and energy. Fortunately, that's over now, and starting tonight I will start birdwatching for real. I don't think I got more than 180 species in Sweden last year, which is quite poor, as I usually get around 230, so this year, I'll beat 200 again at least. Of course, last year was spent mainly abroad, and the autumn will hopefully see a lot of travel again (Vancouver, Texas, Florida, Utah, Tierra del Fuego, Australia, Netherlands), but that just means I'll have to work harder while I am here...

2009-03-14 Gothenburg, Vestrogothia, Sweden:
Mute Swan Cygnus olor
Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus
Canadian Goose Branta canadensis
Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
Herring Gull Larus argentatus
Domestic Pigeon Columba livia domestica
Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus
Skylark Alauda arvensis
Wren Troglodytes troglodytes
Blackbird Turdus merula
Fieldfare Turdus pilaris
Long-tailed Tit Aegithalos caudatus
Blue Tit Cyanistes caeruleus
Great Tit Parus major
Magpie Pica pica
Hooded Crow Corvus corone cornix
Raven Corvus corax
Jackdaw Corvus monedula
Starling Sturnus vulgaris
Greenfinch Carduelis chloris
Greater White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons
Goldeneye Bucephala clangula
Buzzard Buteo buteo
Kestrel Falco tinnunculus
Coot Fulica atra
Lapwing Vanellus vanellus
Green Woodpecker Picus viridis
Greater Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major
Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus
Yellowhammer Emberiza citrinella
Goshawk Accipiter gentilis
Goldcrest Regulus regulus
Marsh Tit Poecile palustris
Nuthatch Sitta europaea
Siskin Carduelis spinus
Bullfinch Pyrrhula pyrrhula

2009-03-15 Gothenburg:
Eider Somateria mollissima
Red-breasted Merganser Mergus serrator
Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus
Greater Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus
Greylag Goose Anser anser
Long-tailed Duck Clangula hyemalis
Steller's Eider Polysticta stelleri
Red-throated Diver Gavia stellata
Shag Phalacrocorax aristotelis
Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis
Rock Pipit Anthus petrosus
Gray Wagtail Motacilla cinerea
Reed Bunting Emberiza schoeniclus
Robin Erithacus rubecula
Dunnock Prunella modularis
Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs
Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos
Velvet Scoter Melanitta fusca
Purple Sandpiper Calidris maritima
Goosander Mergus merganser
Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus
Collared Dove Streptopelia decaocto
Shelduck Tadorna tadorna
Wigeon Anas penelope
Gadwall Anas strepera
Pochard Aythya ferina
Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula
Scaup Aythya marila
Smew Mergus albellus
Pheasant Phasianus colchicus
Great Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo
Grey Heron Arde cinerea
Greater Ringed Plover Charadrius hiaticula

2009-03-21 Gothenburg:
Teal Anas crecca
Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus
Bearded Tit Panurus biarmicus
Barnacle Goose Branta leucopsis
Crane Grus grus
Dunlin Calidris alba
Treecreeper Certhia familiaris
House sparrow Passer domesticus
Tree Sparrow Passer montanus

2009-03-30 Gothenburg:
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos minor

2009-04-06 Gothenburg:
White Wagtail Motacilla alba

2009-04-08 Gothenburg:
Moorhen Gallinula chloropus

2009-04-10 Hornborgasjön, Vestrogothia, Sweden:
Pink-footed Goose Anser brachyrhynchus
Pintail Anas acuta
Shoveller Anas clypeata
Great Crested Grebe Podiceps cristatus
Marsh Harrier Circus aeruginosus
Osprey Pandion haliaetus
Red-throated Grebe Podiceps grisegena
Common Snipe Gallinago gallinago
Redshanks Tringa totanus
Greem Sandpiper Trings ochropus

2009-04-10 Dumme Mosse, Smalandia, Sweden:
Black Grouse Tetrao tetrix
Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus
Canadian Goose Branta canadensis
Crane Grus grus
Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria
Curlew Numenius arquata
Green Sandpiper Tringa ochropus
Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus
Black Woodpecker Dryocopos martius
Skylark Alauda arvensis
Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis
White Wagtail Motacilla alba
Wren Troglodytes troglodytes
Robin Erithacus rubecula
Blackbird Turdus merula
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos
Fieldfare Turdus pilaris
Redwing Turdus iliacus
Goldcrest regulus regulus
Coal Tit Periparus ater
Blue Tit Cyanistes caeruleus
Great Tit Parus major
Treecreeper Certhia familiaris
Jay Garrulus glandarius
Raven Corvus corax
Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs
Greenfinch Carduelis chloris
Siskin Carduelis spinus
Redpoll Carduelis flammea
Yellowhammer Emberiza citrinella

2009-04-12 Jönköping, Smalandia, Sweden:
Pheasant Phasianus colchicus
Buzzard Buteo buteo
Greater Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major
Dunnock Prunella modularis
Long-tailed Tit Aegithalos caudatus
Willow Tit Poecile montana
Nuthatch Sitta europaea
Starling Sturnus vulgaris
Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus

2009-04-13 Komosse, Vestrogothia, Sweden:
Black Grouse Tetrao tetrix
Black-throated Diver Gavia arctica
Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria
Crested Tit Lophophanes cristatus
Willow Warbler Phylloscopus tropchilus

2009-04-13 Jönköping:
Brambling Fringilla montifringilla

2009-04-14 Gothenburg:
Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla
Chiffchaff Phyloscopus collybita
 
Five will get you ten it's going to be of swallows.

[ I've no idea what that expression actually means, but its intended to indicate I'm quite sure. :) ]


Shhhhh. My suspicion also, now. But I'm going to wait for the pic. I just spoke to Calum again about 5 minutes ago and he said he can't find the file on his computer but he has a print. He's going to bring it in so I can scan it.

A couple of the swallows flew overhead while we were talking, and I realise it can be hard to see how long the tails actually are at a distance and at speed.

Rolfe.
 
Last edited:
Part II:
2009-04-17 Umeå, Vestrobothnia, Sweden:
Bean Goose Anser fabalis
Greylag Goose Anser anser
Canadian Goose Branta canadensis
Hen Harrier Circus cyaneus
Goshawk Accipiter gentilis
Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus
Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus
Starling Sturnus vulgaris
Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs
Siskin Carduelis spinus
Redpoll Carduelis flammea
Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus
Pink-footed Goose Anser brachyrhynchus
Wigeon Anas penelope
Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
Teal Anas crecca
Pintail Anas acuta
White-tailed Eagle Haliaeetos albicilla
Kestrel Falco tinnunculus
Merlin Falco columbarius
Crane Grus grus
Lapwing Vanellus vanellus
Curlew Numenius arquata
Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus
Mew Gull Larus canus
Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus
Herring Gull Larus argentatus
Skylark Alauda arvensis
Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis
White Wagtail Motacilla alba
Jay Garrulus glandarius
Hooded Crow Corvus corone cornix
Raven Corvus corax
Brambling Fringilla montifringilla
Yellowhammer Emberiza citrinella

2009-04-18 Umeå:
Domestic Pigeon Columba livia domestica
Robin Erithacus rubecula
Jackdaw Coprvus monedula
Rook Corvus frugilegus
House Sparrow Passer domesticus
Twite Carduelis flavirostris
Lapland Longspur Calcarius lapponicus

2009-04-20 Umeå:
Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus
Rough.legged Buzzard Buteo lagopus
Fieldfare Turdus pilaris
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos
Redwing Turdus iliacus
(Also a Mandarin Duck Aix galericulata, which is not spontaneous, and thus doesn't count, but still was the first record fro Vestrogothia, and my host and I discovered it!)

2009-04-21 Umeå:
Common Snipe Gallinago gallinago
Green Sandpiper Tringa ochropus
Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus

2009-04-22 Umeå:
Dunnock Prunella modularis

2009-04-23 Umeå:
Osprey Pandion haliaetos
Black Woodpecker Dryocopos martius
Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus

2009-04-24 Umeå:
Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula

2009-04-27 Gothenburg:
Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca
Tree Pipit Anthus trivialis

2009-04-28 Särö, Hallandia, Sweden:
Black-throated Diver Gavia arctica
Hopbby Falco sbbuteo
Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus
Greater Ringed Plover Charadrius hiaticula
Common Sandpiper Tringa ochropus
Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus
Arctic Tern Sterna paradisaea
Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus
Green Woodpecker Picus viridis
Greater Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major
Skylark Alauda arvensis
Tree Pipit Anthus trivialis
White Wagtail Motacilla alba
Wren Troglodytes troglodytes
Robin Erithacus rubecula
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos
Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla
Willow Warbler Phylloscopus trochilus
Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita
Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca
Nuthatch Sitta europaea
Treecreeper Certhia familiaris
Jackdaw Corvus monedula
Starling Sturnus vulgaris
Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs
Yellowhammer Emberiza citrinella

2009-04-29 Gothenburg:
Hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes

2009-05-02 Gothenburg:
Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

2009-05-17 Ulricehamn, Vestrogothia, Sweden:
Woodcock Scolopax rusticola

2009-05-18 Jönköping:
Swift Apus apus
Lesser White-throat Sylvia curruca
Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca
Redstart Phoenicurus phoenicurus

2009-05-20 Gothenburg:
Swift Apus apus
 
House and Tree?

Sorry I really don't know enough but I assume house



Coming from a country where we have bugger all egrets -- I fell in love with them instantly in Japan, though; they are one of the reasons I want to go back -- I don't know one from the other, really, but if it has black legs and black beak this time of year, it's Little Egret, isn't it?

This one

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/3543815937_02f74a54de.jpg?v=0



I am assuming Carrion Crow here, but the Guide (Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterström) has neither subspecies really breeding in much of Provence...

I might well be wrong: it could have been solitary rooks.
 
The first is a white stork Ciconia ciconia and the second is an excellent shot of a purple heron Ardea purpurea. They're much more timid than the usual grey herons so it nice to see one reasonably close!

Was it a Glossy IbisWP? I think there are some free-flying feral Sacred IbisWP in the south of France, but the glossy is much more likely.

Thank you, sphensic. Again I do not know about the ibis but it was this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/3547290186_b50d3c5586.jpg?v=0
 
Five will get you ten it's going to be of swallows.

[ I've no idea what that expression actually means, but its intended to indicate I'm quite sure. :) ]


I've just seen a decent print of the photo (previously I only saw a polaroid-size thing that had faded).

I think they're swallows. I think they've been swallows all along. That's what I get for taking Calum's word for it.

I'll scan the print tonight and post it.

Sphensic, you rule.

Rolfe.
 
This London urbanite was surprised and delighted to observe a female Greater Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) on his garden fence. The encounter lasted only 10-15 seconds. I've seen woodpeckers at a distance (and certainly heard them) in Richmond Park, but never had such a close encounter. Quite made my day.
 
This London urbanite was surprised and delighted to observe a female Greater Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) on his garden fence. The encounter lasted only 10-15 seconds. I've seen woodpeckers at a distance (and certainly heard them) in Richmond Park, but never had such a close encounter. Quite made my day.
Welcome to the our little corner of the Forums CrikeyBobs and thanks for your sighting.

I also have a soft spot for woodpeckers (don't have 'em in Oz) and we have had a pair nesting in a tree in the neighbouring car park for the past couple of years. I saw them earlier this season, but have just noticed Starlings flying in/to the hole in the past month or so.

Does anyone know if Starlings would use a Woodpecker's hole to nest in, or perhaps they are raiding it?
 
Welcome to the our little corner of the Forums CrikeyBobs and thanks for your sighting.

I also have a soft spot for woodpeckers (don't have 'em in Oz) and we have had a pair nesting in a tree in the neighbouring car park for the past couple of years. I saw them earlier this season, but have just noticed Starlings flying in/to the hole in the past month or so.

Does anyone know if Starlings would use a Woodpecker's hole to nest in, or perhaps they are raiding it?


http://members.chello.pl/j.mazgajska/TMazgajski/pdf/Nesting_interaction.pdf
 
Welcome to the our little corner of the Forums CrikeyBobs and thanks for your sighting.

Thank you for the welcome, and you are also welcome. My "garden" is rather uninspiring (flagged over), but I will be adding bird-friendly plants and feeding facilities over the next few months. I have decided to adopt the motto "come for the grub, stay for the shrub". :cool:
 
I've been surprised by the extra species that have shown up since I got the bird feeding station. I had a lot of tits (blue, great and coal) anyway, and chaffinches and sparrows and other stuff, but lots more have appeared, to the point where I seem to be seeing a lot fewer tits than I was.

Greenfinches
Yellowhammers
Siskins (by the bucketload)
Goldfinches
Redpolls
a Tree creeper
and a Great Spotted Woodpecker (spotted twice only)

Since I added the Niger Seed, the siskins have practically taken over the place, and that's what also seemed to prompt the redpolls to make an appearance too. And it's also kept the goldfinches around regularly.

The peanuts seem to be the least regarded offering, but I don't refill the other stuff (mixed seed, niger seed, fat balls and fat blocks) as soon as they empty it (I'm not made of money, you greedy beaks....) at which point they'll clear up much of what they spilled on the paving slabs, and have a go at the peanuts too.

Rolfe.
 
We were down in Rhode Island this week and saw a few new birds, but haven't had the time yet to check them carefully, because on the way home my clutch blew up and Ihave spent the last couple of days getting home, getting the rented car back, getting the tow dolly and towing my car home, etc. etc. and am too fried to find latin names. But we did see some piping plovers, least terns, and oystercatchers, and can report that this year the recovery of the ospreys seems really to have taken off. They're all over the place. More anon.
 
New species seen May 21, 2009 near Boulder, Colorado, USA:

Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularia
Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
 
After not seeing any for at least 15 years, I saw two Baltimore Orioles in Chelmsford, Massachusetts this week.
 
Loch of Kinnordy, Angus, Scotland 25/05/09

Squealing water rails Rallus aquaticus and a 'whipping' spotted crake Porzana porzana heard.
 
Loch of Kinnordy, Angus, Scotland 25/05/09

Squealing water rails Rallus aquaticus and a 'whipping' spotted crake Porzana porzana heard.
I once watched a water rail from a hide at Kinnordy. I could have reached out and touched it. The crake is a very good record.
 
I've sent the list to EHocking this weekend, so we're moving closer to actually getting something done. I also have about 15-20 species to add to the Swedish list, but will do that this evening.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom