Furcifer
Guest
- Joined
- Apr 30, 2007
- Messages
- 13,797
Greg, minor item so far, Leibniz lived a little longer than thirteen years.
And his notation lives on forever.
Greg, minor item so far, Leibniz lived a little longer than thirteen years.
Damn fine job you did too! By FAR the easiest jet to fly I've had any experience on.
Greg, minor item so far, Leibniz lived a little longer than thirteen years.
The treadmill only generates wind by object motion. It must be carried back with the belt for that to happen, so at best ( and there are many other flaws) it is a model of a real cart being dragged through the air by a belt, in still air.
I sometimes race motorcycles...
I have been involved in the design of cockpit equipment...
And the real humber is back again. He started to get much clearer and he also correctly explained a couple of things. The step to actually understand what other people are talking about was quite close but as expected he start to ignore posts and stop the discussion. His cognitive dissonance or troll part saw the problem and jumped on the brake.
No, you have that quite wrong.Originally Posted by fredriks View Post
Humber, you are much clearer than usual. What happend?
So I should look it up? An anemometer is given a result, this result might change with time but it is still a result.
I'm not arguing with a robot, however witty.
Well folks, we have been wanting Humber to either get with the program and make sense, or admit that he is merely playing a game. He will never overtly do either, but what we see is both. We do not need , and can never have an admission, or overt proof.
Humber is apparently confined to his Plato's Cave, either there is no way out for him, or he is freely going around the back to observe us from the front. We clearly know what is going on outside the cave, the world of kites, carts and aeroplanes. Humber may, or may not. But we are looking through the same glass toward Humber.
What it means, Fredriks, is that I took the time and effort to increase the level of explication while narrowing the focus. That is, I reduced the information density to meet your needs. I dumbed it down.
This, and the one word replies you gave to my efforts, show that you see things only as black or white and have no need of learning, while publicly displaying contempt for the idea that you could be wrong.

I'm tempted to change my answer. I don't think humber understands physics, but even a random process couldn't possibly be so consistently wrong.
Must be confusing not being able to distinguish between all them there 'Thatta ways".Um, yah they're relative. Tom on the bus says "Hey there's Joe on the corner going thatta way" and Joe's standing there going "There goes Tom going thatta way". "Thatta way" is opposite relative to each other.
Where 'everyone' is but you alone.Gotta love inertia. Gives everyone trouble in First Year.
I can pull a tablecloth from under the dishes on the table if I do it quickly. You try doing it slowly. (do not use the good china for this experiment)
Delivered in genuine '49er patter.The treadmill feels the wind. Every time we turn it on the treadmill says to me "Damn, another windy day".
So close, poor thing.Poor thing. I will agree with you that the treamill is not the best way to demonstrate real world conditions.
Calculus is not for you then.Fine. I will note however, you will never pass First Year Physics. You do this sortta crap in class and you will find yourself in a World of hurt with a prof. Nothing like getting called out by a prof -"Here's the equations of motion including fritction in a varying mass systems, with real pulleys, all the transient effects included, solve for the velocity" You do this once, then you say "I love first order approximations"
Yes, quite a difference, but with a twist. You think they are the same.That's why we use a treadmill to generate motion, and a fan to generate wind. Big difference.
ShootOK, I replied to your post so you gotta reply to this question, fair is fair:
Creative to the max. You can find lots of Tranny's in Bangkok, but if you prefer the homegrown product...I've got a 500hP 426 hemi in my 69' Charger. I was creative, I got two tranny's out of some 77' Aspen's at the junkyard.
A regular McGuyver, though he is less boastful.Being resourceful I managed to bolt both of them on. One has (45/14)3.21:1 axle ratio the other (39/11) 3.55:1 ratio.
Perhaps when the smoke cleared, the car was still on the dyno?I brought both to the track last week and even with the same 500hP engine I was able to run the 1/4 mile in 10.21 and 9.95 respectively. SAME ENGINE! Swear to God I turned off the 200 shot NOS when I got to the track. I put the thing on the Dyno between runs, still putting exactly 500 hP to the rear wheels on!
Impeccable instrumentation.Checked the track stats too, same headwind for every run. Checked the track surface too, remined the same, gooy.
No way, Dude.I was flabbergasted. THE SAME DRIVING FORCE WITH THE SAME CONDITIONS PRODUCE WAY DIFFERENT TOP END SPEEDS!
Charity?What gives?
Good. Now it's your turnWell, RossFW already explained it perfectly:
Let now us investigate that claimYou replied:
This much was correct, from the frame of reference of a ground (not belt) viewer. You then said:
Actually, no difference at all between real and treadmill.
No, see what you've done? You replaced my remarks with yours. That causes a bad reaction within the humber.Huh? From the belt observer's point of view, it wasn't moving toward him before release. It was at a fixed distance, on a taut string. It is now moving away from him, exactly as if blown by the wind. You're switching frames mid-sentence yet again.
Once released, there is no air motion over the kite. It is in still air. Gravity pulls it to the belt.LOL. No, the the kite will accelerate toward windspeed, driven by the air, and begin to fall when its velocity relative to the wind is inadequate to keep it airborne. EXACTLY like on the treadmill.
No, that is not correct. Kites can fly without string. A simple fact.Look, the treadmill part may be hard for you to duplicate, but all it takes to see you're wrong about wind-driven kites is to get one and fly it, then let go of the string, and watch it fly away for a bit, then start to fall.
There also the futility of not recognizing the difference between wind and forced motion through the air, and then combining the two to make your case. I let others to take my kite up.I acknowledge that it may be tough for you to launch yours, since all the other kids will be running to get theirs started, while you, realizing the futility of that, stand resolutely motionless, waiting for a big gust to take your kite up.
You need better spectacles, and less focus on yourself.Tunny
Humber: Either way it's all about you and hubris! None of you see that.
Yes, as has been observed many times, that is one of the reasons testing on a cart is very useful. Now that humber's air-flow objection comes down to "turbulence" (which again means he's backtracked and won't be going on about the directions all being the wrong way round again, because we've proved that to be nonsense too clearly for him to get away with it...) he is citing one of the experimental advantages that we already know about as the reason why the treadmill is "false". He also, of course, has other objections, like which part of the system is providing the power to cause the relative motion, which will probably run until he's dead.Fortunately, modeling what the cart does outside in a perfect wind (no gusts or direction changes) allows a much more precise way of comparing the cart's speed to the speed of the wind to determine if/when the cart matches the speed of the wind (which it sees as still air at that point). In both cases (outside case and treadmill case), the KE change in the air surrounding the cart is the same.
Well, the last bit's true. But he'll want it several ways at once: it's not magic, it hasn't been demonstrated yet, it doesn't work the way idiots like us think, and he could build one that does it in a jiffy. Funny we're still waiting for the plans.That's how the cart is powered, by the change in KE of the air surrounding the cart. If you have been playing the many-leveled game that RP thinks you are, you should be able to say, "Well done, mender, my work here is finished". If you still insist that the cart would have to be magic to achieve DDWFTTW, well, I'm not sure that anything anyone can say will ever change your mind.
Oooh yeah, can't wait to find out.What say you, humber?
Yes, precisely. And then there's the inverse relationship between his eloquence and the starkness of his self-contradiction. The closer his back is to the wall, the more the Telly-Tubbies Zen comes out, mixed with new red herrings, misused terms and unsubstantiated humberist dogma.Poll update:
Does humber really understand physics more than is apparent in this thread?
And the results:
Yes:
Clive: He Understands Much But Excludes Reason.
recursive prophet: but qualified
Semper: Yes, but not much.
humb: Of course he does. In addition to the wealth of information that he has provided you with, I have no doubt that he has comparable expertise in other branches of physics.
NO:
spork: his confusion is legit
subduction zone: only a true believer would keep this nonsense up for 65 pages and over 2,500 posts.
mender: I believe that humber is presenting things as he understands them.
Dan O.: humber doesn't have the background to be faking it.
Michael C.
Fredriks: Humber don't know more physics than it seems to but it is possibly that he to some extent know that everything he says is incorrect but that he like to write nonsense on the internet anyway.
GregLondon: I'm not a gambling man, but I'd wager a sandwich that Humber doesn't know physics more than he has revealed in the thread.
I'm tempted to change my answer. I don't think humber understands physics, but even a random process couldn't possibly be so consistently wrong.
Humber, another serious question for you. It's a yes no question.
Suppose a team of nobel winning physicists came and reviewed your posts on this thread, and unanimously claimed that you have some serious conceptual flaws in you understanding of basic physics.
Would this make you think that you just might be wrong?
Which one is humb and which one is humber?
I'll take your "F-1 driving in still air" and raise you a "There's no such thing as still air".
Why you talkin about still air dude? That's an enigma man. The man makes you think the air is still, but it isn't dude. There's like a butterfly, in China, and it flaps its wings and causes a tornado in Virginia. lol, what's so still about the air in China man, theirs like a billion people moving, movement produces differentials, and like, the movement of a dude is way more than the movement of a butterfly dude. And the butterfly effect, man that's like documented and stuff. No trying to deny that bro. Butterfly. Effect. Google it dude, it's real and its like, there in your face. You try to deny it, but it's there. I know a dude who saw a dude fall over from it man, just before a tornado. And like the Government totally controls the weather man, so by association principle, they control the butterfly man. Think about it. The US government totally controls every single butterfly, that ever was or ever will be. That means they know, they totally know. They know what the butterfly is capable of, and what they are willing to to do to facilitate their goals.
I have way too many hippie friends...
No, he didn't do any of those. He asked you to "suppose...xyz" and say how you would respond. It is your lack of logic and imagination that is being demonstrated, along with the reluctance to consider this as a possibility.Now, look what you have done SD. An inexhaustive list includes:
(1) Loaded the question with your preconceived notions
(2) Not asked the same question of yourself
(3) Assumed that this problem has anything to do with that level of scientific endeavor
(4) Apart form a few details, cognition or perception would be a more appropriate category than physics for the nature of the problem.
(5) Assumed that said laureates would agree with you, and not me.
(6) Still appealing to authority, rather than logic or reason or your own mettle.
(7) Turned a complex matter in to a binary decision, where the answer is judged by incredulity or social norms....
Tsk Tsk.