• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread The validity of classical physics (split from: DWFTTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone is curious, here's the reasoning for why I chose 6 m/s as the speed of the air in the boundary layer (at some arbitrary distance from the surface). There had been some earlier posts that used 7 m/s for this value. I had thought about using 5 m/s, but I though there was some merit in not setting it at half-speed, so as to make clear which was the difference between this speed and the free stream flow, vs. this speed and the surface. And I made it 6 m/s so that the difference would be 4 m/s, and the time until the smoke puff went by would be 2.5 s, instead of the more unwieldy 3.33333 s.

Yes, jjcote, good choice. If 5m/s were used, that will create another set of symmetrical balance points around 10m/s. Not a problem for real wind though.
 
I have a kite that flys just fine if I'm standing still and the wind is 10M/s.

Thing is, it ALSO flys if there is NO wind and I RUN at 10M/s.

I'm also PRETTY SURE that if I had a long treadmill that went at 10m/s and stood on it, towing the kite, it would also fly.

There must be a problem with my perception, as these things obviously can't be true.


Of course there's a problem with your perception! It's obvious that the kinetic energy transferred to your kite by running is initially being converted into potential energy, after which the gravitational pull counteracted by the drag from the air is acting like a friction balance allowing the kite to "hover" in place. Over time you're kite will slowly descend to earth as the kinetic energy is gradually lost lost from friction. Being pulled through the air is not the same as being pulled by the air! Coriolis force will be different, as will the moon's gravitational pull on the string. The kite has experienced acceleration, and acceleration is absolute. The wind has no kinetic energy, and so cannot support the kite as it's being pulled. If you had bothered to run with the kite for three or four hours, the difference in performance would have been obvious. [/HUMBERVISION]
 
I all in. (but hoping if need be I can use one of my lifelines to phone a goldfish)

JB

Take the goldfish's advice. One with phone must be an extraordinary creature.

ETA:
I think it's safe to say that no one pays any attention to humber's wild claims and insults. I don't even understand half of his insults as they seem to be as broken and cryptic as the rest of his responses. <snip>
The insults are often cryptic. That's the point. Flat-out insults are commonplace.
Both my claims and insults generally require knowledge of the reader.

Still humber is the one guy that knows everything, and yet the one guy that can't answer some very basic questions. To some that would seem bizarre
A pointless quiz, that adds nothing to the matter at hand.
Perhaps you would instead like to support your own ideas ?
 
Last edited:
So relative motion between a kite an its surrounding medium, may be REAL or what?

...Where as a LACK of motion between a cart and the air at windspeed is REAL, but one on a treadmill in still air is not.

But you agree that your first example the kite has no KE because it has no motion w.r.t the ground.
The cart is restrained in the sense that it is not driven to motion, so you agrees that it has no KE.

The first has no KE wrt the the ground. If I was passing by in a balloon (at windspeed, of course) it WOULD have KE wrt to me. If I collided with it, I'd feel it. That's KE. Similarly, If I was staionary in my balloon in still air, and the kite hit me, I'd feel it to the exact same degree.

Something about velocity being relative.....
 
Brian, I used to think like you. But now I have a small plaque with a message that I read often. It was a gift to me, and at first I thought it was just one of those "feel good" things. But now I see that it is the new way... the master's way... and it says:

If you can dream it, you can do it.​

Commit this to memory and then your path to the dark side will flow as freely as a boundary layer with no datum...


You're right! I tried travelling at a different velicity to myself AND IT WORKED!. I can't tell you how pleased I am. I'm quite literally beside myself with glee.


I think we should drop the physics test and just offer Humber a math test. Nothing complicated, just some basic vector geometry involving both postive and negative values.
 
The observer does not matter, John. It's not a matter of a tree falling in the forest without a witness, or the sound of one hand clapping.
Oh my goodness master...

I am completely humblerd by your reply to John Freestone. As always, my pitiful attempt to foretell your words came to naught. I am truly but a pebble at the foot of the mountain and so worry still about the sounds of trees falling if I am not there to hear them...

Now, please forgive me for my impertinence, but even after meditating on it I have another question for you:

Say a man, a very careful and precise man (perhaps even yourself), was to kneel on a road in a wind not unlike those being discussed, and using the very best measuring tools and techniques, record the speed and direction of the flow at a series of heights starting from very near to the surface and building up through the boundary layer and then stopping only when into the the clear air above. He may record these in a table with three columns, labelled height, direction, and speed, and of course he has positioned himself and his equipment as to not interfere with the flow.

Now the man may repeat this exercise while kneeling on a large and long treadmill with comparable surface to the road but this time with the belt moving beneath the still air overhead at the same speed as the air passed over the road before. He measures at the same heights above the belt as he did before above the road and records again the direction and speed at each level. He is a fast worker and completes the task before falling off the end of treadmill.

How then should we expect the two sets of recorded values to compare?

Should they be the same, like two peas in a pod? Would they be more like apples and oranges? Or would the comparison be as disparate as if a pebble fell beside a mountain?
 
Last edited:
Now to the boundary layer....

The belt is turning such that it's surface is passing a stationary observer (wrt the earths surface)right to left. It will cause a boundary layer that will ALSO pass right to left. On the surface, the air will move at belt speed. At any point ABOVE the surface, it will STILL move right to left, but at a speed slower than the belt. Right to left at a speed lower than the belt means left to right wrt the surface of the belt.

Just like John (and everyone else!!) has been trying to tell you.

So blindingly obvious, it's amazing you can even TRY and argue it!

If it were not so, the air would be traveling FASTER than the belt, and we'd have invented perpetual motion.

No wonder you have so much time to post, the Humberverse produces it's own energy!!!!
 
Sorry I interrupted your humberphysics discussion there for a moment. You know if you're too sarcastic, humber won't come back and fill in the missing windspeeds, and all my work trying to reach agreement with him will have been in vane.

The Humber likes sarcasm, John. It's funny.
The windspeeds that you want are the same as mine.
Add the apparent observer view to mine, to get yours, then subtract them again to get the correct answer. Do you see why I don't answer the question?
I think Sol_invictus should give it a go. Should be fun not to see the "gaps filled" but the attempts to patch up the holes in the treadmill.
 
John, the multiple flaws in your diagram give you away. The master will tear you to shreds if you let him see those. For one thing the right hand panel shows the differential between air at head height and the belt below as 20 m/s. Attempting to fill in the missing values in those circumstances would be like playing Russian roulette. The direction of that differential isn't even specified. Meanwhile the diagram on the left has unexplained gaps. Perhaps your omission of 5 is as I explained to mender earlier. Is this meant to be a trap, the old good-cop, bad-cop routine? The laws of physics have a symmetry but 10 - 7 is undefined in your world? You will most likely be ignored for tastier targets.

I don't know why you mention sarcasm. To understand another you must stand in their shoes. Communication without understanding is futile. So is resistance. Join us now - the numbers are with us! :crowded:

Maybe Clive, if your posts didn't contain so much "see humber you've gone and made a mistake again", then you may better see where you are wrong.
A lot of talk, but no refutation. No solid arithmetic rebuttal, just more "observer" loaded rhetoric?
 
Hey, I just happen to work at the "Hall of Science" (at least that's what the guys in the field call it). In fact, I'm the "Chief Scientist" at "The Hall of Science". How much more sciency can you get than that?

'Hall' is common to both. How 'hally' can you get?

[/QUOTE]
 
Humber, I have a few serious questions for you
Please answer yes or no.

1) Do you think you have a good grasp of basic physics?
Yes.

2) Do you acknowledge that there are many people who think you do not have a good grasp of basic physics?
Yes to both, SD.

3) If you answered yes to the above two questions, do you think it's worth spending a few minutes answering three questions from a high school physics exam to prove that you do indeed know your stuff?

No. I can do that on my head. The problem is not there SD. You are all making grievous errors of first principles of science let alone physics.
No questions, correctly answered or otherwise, will help either of us because if for no other reason, they assume that you already accept that fundamental knowledge.

A qualified engineers (working for an independent contracting supplier) made such a blunder; one that beggars belief, and apparently operated by magic.

Before I had completed giving the description of the problem to an optics engineer, he threw his head back, burying his face in his hands. Why?

Because he realized, that after waiting a year for the supply that would power his laser, he had been delivered a practical joke.

Qualifications are just paper, and like paper money, may not always hold their face value. And yes, the treadmill is one such joke.
 
No. I can do that on my head. The problem is not there SD. You are all making grievous errors of first principles of science let alone physics.
No questions, correctly answered or otherwise, will help either of us because if for no other reason, they assume that you already accept that fundamental knowledge.

A qualified engineers (working for an independent contracting supplier) made such a blunder; one that beggars belief, and apparently operated by magic.

Before I had completed giving the description of the problem to an optics engineer, he threw his head back, burying his face in his hands. Why?

Because he realized, that after waiting a year for the supply that would power his laser, he had been delivered a practical joke.

Qualifications are just paper, and like paper money, may not always hold their face value. And yes, the treadmill is one such joke.


Pathetic
 
I think I'm following you so far.
Wait a sec... you started off by saying

Are you claiming that the wind is travelling at +10 m/s faster than itself?
You must keep with the same datum. "Winspeed" is an notional inference from the fact that the belt going backwards. Therefore you must that 'translation' again for the belt.

It's logically impossible for something to be travelling faster than itself from it's own perspective.
Yes, but not it seems for geared winspeed carts, Brian-M.
If there is no force or drag at water or windspeed what is to stop water going faster than itself?

Everything travels at 0 from it's own perspective. So to see things from the perspective of any given object, you just have to subtract that object's velocity from all velocities.
Yes, everything is everything w.r.t itself.

Since you started off by stating that Wind = 0, then you started from the wind's perspective.
The fact that you are incapable of switching to another perspective and back again without getting completely different figures from what you started with is a very strong indicator that you have no idea what you are doing.

No, you are missing one step. Arithmetic shows the error. See below.

H: This is the treadmill, I presume?

Wind = 0 (meaning 'winspeed')
Flow = -6
The cart's direction, like the wind's, is positive and moving left to right.
The flow is 4m/s slower than the wind, but moving right to left.
Hence -6m/s w.r.t the cart.
6m/s right to left. Check

To get the observer's perspective, you subtract the observer's velocity (-10) from everything:
H: Belt observer?

Wind = 0 - (-10) = 10
Flow = -6 - (-10) = 4
OR
Wind = 0 +10 = 10 The observer wind is positive going left to right.
Flow = -6 +10 = 4 Belt flow is now referred to the same wind, left to right

4m/s left to right. Superposition of flows.

To get back to the wind's perspective, you subtract the wind's velocity (10) from everything:

Wind = 10 - 10 = 0
Flow = 4 - 10 = -6
No. Winspeed is already "0" because the belt is -10

Easy![/QUOTE]

Lax!
 
This must be because you can't support your own, H'ethetheth?
What?! No, I want to hear about your authority on the matter, because you claim you can ace mine.

No I did not I denied the quiz, because I an not interested.
It seems to me though, H'ethetheth, that you need your colleagues to support you.
If you dare me to ask a colleague, then yes, I need a colleague.

Post any of the windtunnels that you think support your case, from seeds to cars, and I will tell you why they are not like the treadmill. Agreed?
Okay, the water tunnel for fish I designed is a fish wheel flow tank. A guy named Bainbridge (1958 and about the paper) came up with the idea in the 1950's and we found out about that halfway through the design process. It's basically an annular fish tank that spins while keeping the fish in place. I can think of at least two ways it's like the treadmill, but you're going to tell me it isn't, so go ahead.
I'm not sure the paper is freely accessible, but the article about it should be. If not, I'll post a picture of my own version.

An equal appeal to both our "authorities".
Sorry, authority does not work that way. Authority means that it matters what ass arguments are pulled from. I want to know how your authority puts mine to shame, since you assurred me it would, and I'm honestly curious.
 
John, the multiple flaws in your diagram give you away. The master will tear you to shreds if you let him see those. ...
Ah yes. When I went to bed last night, I had actually deluded myself that humber might just find my approach incontrovertible. I'm seeing the doctor today anyway, so I'll mention it.

I'm the "Chief Scientist" at "The Hall of Science".
Is that the one in Scienceville, near the Empirical State Building?

The observer does not matter, John. It's not a matter of a tree falling in the forest without a witness, or the sound of one hand clapping.
But surely you do understand that wind velocities change for an observer, depending on whether they travel and at what velocity w.r.t. the wind. Surely you also know that the forces on a body from that wind will change with their relative velocities. Surely you know that these are the velocities we are interested in, those experienced by the thought-experiment observer on the belt, since they are the forces "experienced" by a cart. Surely also those were the velocities you were eager to show involved a reversal within the boundary layer, this being the basis of one of your contentions that the cart on a treadmill is significantly different from one blown along a road outside. Surely also, it is those relative velocities that would affect your paddle, and thus pertained to your earlier calculations. Surely, we were trying to work out the very same values, even though we disagree about them.

Or was your paddle magical, as I suspected, and able to measure the velocity of a wind relative to the ground when it is itself moving relative to the ground?

The flows are there if you are aware of them or not. Pitot tubes, paddles, anemometers, or some other measurement device, will contradict your conclusion.
They absolutely obviously will not. But if I obtained some under strict scientific scrutiny and subjected them to years of peer review (not that anyone would be interested in measuring the speed of things we already know), you would still contradict the conclusion.

Also, an observer of the kind you suggest, but on the ground or somewhere else, will also contradict your cart observer, whereas all will agree with the direct measurements and the calculations. My solution is correct, if only because it is the same for all observers, and quite clearly not like real wind.
You forgot "QED". But your solution wasn't the same for all observers. Your paddle spun backwards, because the flow on a treadmill was reversed compared with that on the ground! I (and several others) corrected your mistakes, and WE showed that the flows were identical, both between scenarios and no matter whether moving or at rest through the wind, since its relative velocities do not change.

My diagram shows precisely what you said an observer feels - 10 back of head, 6 lower down from front. You were quite clearly working out what that observer would experience. Surely, you're not going to do that low trick of pretending you were stating something different from what everyone thought you were stating? Not you, humber!
 
Wait a minute!
Realwind
10m/s (+2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s downwind
6m/s (+2m/s ) = 4m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s downwind
Wind to flow = 4m/s
Constant difference between wind and flow of 4m/s, independent of observer velocity

Belt
10m/s (+2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s from L to R
-6m/s (+2m/s) = -8m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s from R to L
Wind to flow +16m/s.
Dependent upon observer velocity. It is going the wrong way. Reversal of flow makes it good.

Wait a minute!

Negative indicates velocity in the opposite direction.
You have the "flow" moving the opposite direction to the belt.

No, the flow is with the belt. That is negative. The premise of the treadmill is that the road/belt moves backwards w.r.t the cart. The tailwind is positive.

Since the flow boundary layer is the air that is being dragged along with the belt then it must move in the SAME direction.
So to correct your mistake by fixing your negatives..

No. -6m/s If the cart is moving in the positive direction the belt is negative.

Quote:
Realwind
10m/s (-2m/s +2m/s = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s downwind
6m/s (-2m/s ) +2m/s = 4m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s downwind
Wind to flow = 4m/s
Constant difference between wind and flow of 4m/s, independent of observer velocity. Where observer motion with the wind is positive.

Belt
10m/s(-2m/s) = 8m/s Difference in wind to observer at 2m/s from L to R
6m/s (-2m/s) = 4m/s Difference in flow to observer at 2m/s from R to L
NO!10m/s(+2m/s) = 12m/s wind to observer at 2m/s (Flow is left to right)
-6m/s (+2m/s) = -4m/s observer in flow at 2m/s (Flow is right to left)
16m/s difference.

Yes, faster than the wind! How? Relatively opposite flows, the vary foundation of your claim! an "Inconvenient Truth"

(1)All motion, wind or cart, is positive going left to right, if you say the cart is going forward left to right.

(2)The belt and belt winds, are therefore negative, going right to left.

ETA: When you do the math right you find that there is no difference.
When I do it, yes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom