"
I asked about your interpretation of what is happening with the cart on the belt quite a while ago, and had you confirm that what I wrote was essentially correct at that time. Since you haven't changed how you are thinking the cart works, I doubt that you have more to offer that will be convincing. But go ahead; I'm sure "all" are waiting for a comprehensive and enlightening explanation.
Can't agree. Let them eat cake.
Please try to remember that I'm not blindly accepting anything by anyone.
Good, then you have taken my meaning regarding the value of authority.
I have a prop cart and a treadmill and have been conducting my own testing. I offered to do unbiased testing for you but haven't heard any tests from you, so I did some of my own. I have already tested several of your "concepts" to make sure that I haven't missed a possible explanation. Unfortunately, tests to prove your points have been negative, and have proven the opposite of what you claim.
Yes, I know, thanks. You could have told me that you have tested some ideas! I made a rudimentary belt from an electric drill, some plastic waterpipe and vinyl sheet. I find mine works.
I'll pick one of your "concepts", the inherent balance that you say the cart is forced into by the treadmill test. The balance that you claim is so powerful is not there.
Mender! I have said that
there is almost no force, how many times?
Having the cart remain on the belt for an length of time requires everything to set very carefully and that condition is actually quite delicate. There is a very small window of belt speed that the cart will be close to that balanced condition.
That is in complete agreement with what I have said. The system works only between certain levels of friction. This I have also stated ad nauseaum!!!.
I told Spork that is the case, you must "fit it" to make it work! You have made the same mistake, it seems.
It is indeterminate, yes. About the "flywheel" . Without enough friction, it may become
unstable. I described this as minimum "system Q" as a simplification. See? All been said, but not heard.
Which brings me to another of your contentions: the wheels slipping/cart losing traction/being lifted by a laminar airflow, etc. The consequence of reduced traction by any of the mentioned causes is testable and shows the same result.
Things are not that black and white. It is possible that the presence of the laminar flow broadens the working range, but I suspect it narrows it.
The cart slows down wrt the ground/belt. Remember two of the counter forces acting on the cart, thrust from the prop and induced drag from the wheels to provide that thrust.
Inconsistent. Now there is force at windspeed.
Remove one or even reduce one by a small amount and the cart either moves forward or backward.
As I said it would.
If the wheels slip, the cart moves back with the belt because the wheels have to transmit power from the moving ground/belt to the prop (tested).
I'm batting 100.
The slipping causes a loss of thrust which is more than the loss of drag from the slipping. Sounds wrong but it is true because the cart always has rolling resistance as well as the induced drag from turning the prop.
It also has momentum stored in the prop. That is the
only energy source that is not immediately dependent on friction to the belt. That breaks the wheels-needs-prop-needs-wheels cycle.
Without the prop, the cart has a specific rolling resistance (tested).
Vague. The prop modifies the behaviour. The rolling resitance is not the same as the static resistance, which is again different when balance is achieved.
I though of asking for this test, but it would also be necessary to turn the cart around, for example, to make sure that the applied force (a spring balance perhaps) was not unduly influencing the result.
When the wheels are turning the wheels drag (tested) and the prop provides thrust (tested). At a high enough belt/ground speed, there is enough energy in the wind (real/belt) that can be harnessed to spin the prop and overcome the "base" rolling resistance of the cart at that speed and the cart will move as fast as the air around it (tested).
I suppose it would. Though "energy"?
When the amount of energy in the wind is higher (speed difference between the ground and air is increased) or the induced drag is reduced for the same thrust (higher efficiency of the prop /drive system) or the rolling resistance of the cart is reduced (better bearings on the axles), the thrust from the prop will make the cart go faster still (tested). The final speed is determined by the amount of rolling resistance of the cart vs the power of the wind (not tested or quantified by my tests yet - see Ynot's turntable tests and Jack Goodman's outdoor test for testing so far).
That a prop cart can be built or improved by the means you described, is not in question. The treadmill is.
As for the remainder, I cannot say. Could be either way. Ynot's system has tether, that is quite another matter. (Why do you need a tether?)
Of course, that's only what my testing and JB's testing and spork's testing and Jack Goodman's testing shows, and Mark Drela says and spork says and ... so on. There is a growing mountain of evidence and explanations that support my view. I have yet to see any evidence that supports your view. So far there is nothing to resist.
I see that you
didn't take my meaning regarding authority.
Mark Drela seem to think that a cart can easily go as fast as wind, without hobos in boxcars. All objects blown by the wind, reach windspeed. What is your point?
Sorry, but I would describe your evidence as Phyrric, Mender.
You do need my explanation, after all.