• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Can't we all just get along?

Well, I'd honestly be VERY surprised if men were raped more often by women than the other way around. I can honestly say that. I lean perhaps a little too much on the side of equality in many arguments, but in that case, there's so many variables that seem to point it to one direction than the other all around.
It's highly unlikely that female-on-male rape is anything more than a very small minority of rape cases, for the simple facts of biology and cultural indoctrination. But it clearly does happen.

Anyone who thinks that male rape, either male-on-male or female-on-male, or female-on-female rape, is taken anywhere nearly as seriously as male-on-female rape is simply not paying attention. Culturally, it's blatantly obvious that it isn't. Look at the humour, for example. While there's a certain amount of tasteless humour regarding male-on-female rape, it exists only in a limited, marginalized context. The instigators of such humour are typically themselves the butt of more mainstream jokes. In the mainstream, it's definitely not acceptable, and there is no way that commedians in the public eye could possibly get away with such humour. They'd be pilloried, if not crucified.

By contrast, male-on-male rape, of the "prison" variety, is a perfectly acceptable subject for humour in the mainstream. There's hardly a single "edgy" or "alternative" commedian who hasn't done a prison-rape gag at some point, and it's a fairly consistent subject of humour in mainstream comedy as well. Some movies have used it as a running gag, and many more use it as a throwaway gag.

Female-on-male rape is rarely the subject of comedy, because so few people will even admit it exists. When it does come up, the concept itself is considered so absurd and near-impossible that the bare mention of it is considered humorous in and of itself. By contrast, female-on-female rape is merely incomprehensible.
 
<snip>

So, while I can understand the initial question Ivor put forth, the answer is easy: things go from that initial dilemma to one more complicated than that pretty quickly. My guess is that Francesca was frustrated because this much should be obvious. If it's not obvious, then now you know

<snip>

I'm sure a clever and verbose prosecutor could make the situation appear very complicated. But without physical evidence or unusual circumstances it still comes down to the jury guessing who is telling the truth.

Given that it is claimed by some to be known how many rapes are committed each year, why not just toss a coin for a proportion of the cases where there is no supporting evidence other than the testimonies of the victim and defendant? That would increase the number of guilty people convicted.
 
I'm sure a clever and verbose prosecutor could make the situation appear very complicated. But without physical evidence or unusual circumstances it still comes down to the jury guessing who is telling the truth.
Even if that were completely true, their ability to discern the likely truth could easily be aided by more awareness on the subject.
 
@ Ivor the Engineer. From my perspective you are taking a stance which is rather simplistic and I would like you to address the evidence instead.

First: can you accept that many types of court case depend, in the end, on who the jury believes? In the media it seems that cases are always settled by hard evidence obtained by really clever detectives or forensic experts or whatever: that is not real. The fact is that most trials do depend to some extent on credibility. Go down to you local court and watch a few cases if you are not aware of this. If you can accept this can you show me why rape is a special case that is not based on myth and fear of false accusation?

Second: In the other thread I have specifically referred to the presumption of innocence. That is fully in place in rape cases as in all others. One of the myths I am trying to dispel is one which has been repeated here: that somehow that presumption is not properly upheld in the case of rape. The attrition figures disprove that assertion, I think. If you do not believe that please show why.

Third: As others have said, your idea that nothing can be done to improve the situation is not based on evidence: the law has been changed in some jurisdictions and in those the conviction rate is higher. There is no reason at all to suppose that more innocent men are convicted there: although this is often implied in these kinds of debate. There is never going to be a high conviction rate. Please note that while many of the legal changes were designed to remove some of the disadvantages suffered by female rape victims, but they were not all for that purpose: the same legislation has usually altered the definition of rape so as to include men as victims: that did not used to be available. I do not think those changes would have come about without the determined efforts of women to open up the underlying assumptions to challenge. As ever, women have not fought for themselves alone, though that is their primary focus here. Men have benefited too: I think they always do when a female perspective is heard: for this kind of polarisation hurts us all

Fourth: I am fully aware of the rules of evidence and I am very concerned that proper safeguards are in place for those who are accused of a crime: any crime. But I will say this. Had I chosen to report my experience I would have been very distressed that a case could not go forward for lack of evidence: but I think I have shown that I understand why this is. What I would have found intolerable is the idea that what I did showed I am dishonest: it doesn't. I did what many women do. I had hoped to show that every move I made was understandable. Fatal in terms of a court case: yes. But not an indication of dishonesty. It is a far different experience to go to a police station and to have it explained that although you are believed there is insufficient evidence to prosecute than it is to go there and be told that your behaviour shows you are lying. That is why I wish to dispel all these myths. This is what a lot of women do in the circumstances of typical rape. Not all do it: and there is a lot of advice around saying you should not do it and saying why. I was aware of all of that and it did not help: but it did help me to accept that there was no chance of doing anything about it: and I do accept the reasons for that.
 
My stance may seem simplistic but it is the way everyone would like the legal process to work if they were the one being accused of a crime.

I have already stated that if there are unusual circumstances (which would cast doubt on the credibility of the defendant's story) then that may be enough to cross the threshold of reasonable doubt. I am fully aware of the CSI effect (I've worked at the FSS - I was so disappointed:))

What conviction rate do you think is realistically possible?
 
Fiona,
I have just spent an hour trying to compose a post explaining why I think men and women don't understand how the other feels about the rape issue.
In each case, no matter how careful I was, I ended up asking something I expect you to find hurtful (because that thing is itself illustrative of the male/ female mental divide on the issue).
I profoundly want to avoid upsetting you for many reasons- not least that some night I just may find myself asking if I can crash on the sofa. So I've stripped it down to the part of your story I truly cannot understand, which is this:-

"I was soundly asleep. I did not hear the door open. I knew he was there when he climbed into my bed.I was half awake: I remember asking what he was doing and saying he was in the wrong room. I wasn't that worried - he had been drunk and he got lost in a strange (though very small) flat. I thought. But he did not speak to me. He got into my bed and he made it plain he intended to have sex. I came fully awake. I got scared. He would not speak and he just carried on. I shut up. I offered no resistance at all. I was paralysed - maybe it was shock, or maybe I am not very assertive. It is still a surprise to me. I did not think I would react like that, and as I choose to see myself I still cannot believe it: but that is what happened. I lay there and allowed this to happen and I was terrified. "

About the time the guy came in the door, I would have told him to get out. About the time he got into bed, once certain he was awake and not sleepwalking, (you don't say if you were sure or not), I would have removed him from the room by any means whatever (or left myself).
Now if he was bigger than me, I might have got hurt, but I would have done something to get him (or me) out of there.
Why did you do nothing?

This is, for me, a genuinely baffling thing- that anyone would simply permit such an assault . Yet it seems to be common. The explanation I often see is that passivity helps avoid injury- but who cares? You are being injured. Bite the bastard's throat out! Let the courts argue about the verdict later.
It sounds to me like this man could have been put off by simply screaming at him- and few drunks can survive a kick in the nuts.
Please. I apologise if I seem to belittle what happened. It honestly is not my intent.
But help me out here. I truly do not understand. It appears even you do not understand.
Is this a genuine difference between men and women? Your reaction puts me in mind of the way I've seen herbivores go calm and quiet while a lion chokes them to death. Do you feel this passivity is something instinctively female? Or was it a result of too much drink?
If the latter, it becomes a very real factor in cases of "date rape" given the changed alcohol use patterns in places we all know.
(She put up no resistance).

ETA- I wish I hadn't posted this. But I'm curious.
 
Last edited:
I do not find that question hurtful, Soapy. It is an obvious question and it is important. But you are correct: I honestly do not know.

What I can say is wholly unsatisfactory to me, so it probably will help you even less. Forgive me if a ramble around a bit, too.

I did not wake when he came in the room I think: only when he came to the bed and then not fully. My recollection is that I was not worried then - I thought he was lost. I have had that happen before in fact: one time a guy was genuinely sleep walking, and he came in my room and peed on a chair then went back to bed. I am certain he was not awake at any point and he had a very embarrassing morning.

And I have seen people crash, then come half awake in the middle of the night and set off to find their bed and get lost, too. In that situation you speak to them, as I did this time, and they realise, and they apologise, and go away.

One of the things that made a big difference this time was the silence. I spoke to him and he did not answer: he just kept on. It is hard to be sure when I knew he was awake, but that was the important thing. He did not acknowledge me at all. For some reason that frightened me. I mean it really frightened me. I know that probably sounds weird and I cannot really explain it. But I did not feel human. People talk about " objectifying" women. I do not know if that is what they mean but I had a sense of being an object to him. And in my mind all bets about what he might do were off: because somehow that made neither of us human. I do not expect that to make any sense to you. I can hardly express this: but I no longer had any social skill in that unknown territory so I could not make any prediction at all about his limits. He had stepped over all of mine and the fact he did not speak to me was the clearest indication that was so.

I do not think of myself as a passive person, generally. In day to day life I can be quite assertive, or so I fondly imagine. There have been other occasions when I have been in confrontation with men and I have taken action to protect myself, even up to a "kick in the nuts (though this does not come easily to me I have concluded that sometimes it is necessary to hit someone to get your point across: I am not very proud of that but there it is). So yes, I could and should have done something. But in every other confrontation I have had to face I was engaged with another human being. All I can say is that this was not like that. And it was to do with the fact he did not speak. I think it was.

There are other factors: I was kind of trapped because of the layout: he was on the open side and there were three walls: so he was between me and any possible exit. I had nowhere to go.

I am nearly 5 feet 2. I was not brought up with other children and I have less experience of fighting than most, I think. But when I have been in a physical confrontation it had a lead up and a context and words, and I did not feel there was no floor under it. You mentioned in another thread that you saw two women fighting and it was your impression that they had no limits in the way that men have. I cannot remember exactly what you said, but my sense of it was that men have some mechanisms for calling a halt which they learn as children. You hypothesised this is learned, though it is equally possible it is innate: animals seldom fight to the death, I am told. I think what I am trying to say is that my sense was that that inhibition was not there.

I do not know if that perception was true: it is obviously informed by a lot of mythology about rape and murder which I have got from our culture. Perhaps I injected those scenes into a situation in no way like them. I do not know.

Why not scream? that would be enough sometimes. I know that. There are two functions served by making a lot of noise. One is to summon help: and that was not a possiblity. And one is to shock him to a sense of what he is doing or to give him the idea this is not going to be easy and that he will meet resistance. Quite simply, that night I did not believe that would work. I thought he was going to do what he was going to do. I thought he wanted sex. I used to think that rape was always a matter of power and control and that it was always a violent crime. But I do not think that in quite the same way now. I think he wanted sex and if he got it it would be enough: but if he had to fight for it he would. And again I have no idea if that is correct. I have no way of knowing if he would have been deterred by more active resistance from me: I can only say that that is how I saw it at the time. I think. Memory is a terrible liar though, and so you must remember that in reading this.

One thing that does seem to be true is that most women do not get angry in the same way as men. I talked about this before in the context of a defence of provocation in cases of domestic violence. I have no idea if this is innate or cultural and I see no way of sorting that out. But the evidence suggests that women get angry much, much later than men: it is not an instant response in most circumstances. Your perception of how you would react seems to include an assumption you would be angry, I think? I can only say there was no anger in me. I was scared and it froze me.

I have read about this reaction. I do not seem to be alone in it but it appears to be partly personality and partly situational. In the literature about gathering evidence about rape it talks about exploring the details of what happens in quite surprising ways: and one of the things sometimes mentioned is "passive resistance". Some women do not resist actively by screaming or fighting but they will not cooperate: and that is what I think I did. I "went away" at some point: I was terrified and I "went away". He had sex with a lump of meat and I think he would have had more response from a doughnut. I do not think my fear showed: I do not think I reacted in any way at all. In some sense I wasn't there at all

If you had asked me before it happened what I would do I would not have said it would be like that. I do not think we can know what we will do till it happens. But this is what I did. It is not innate I think: it is one kind of reaction among many. I do not know if I would always react the same way if the situation ever arose again, either. It is not how I see myself, you see. And I do not think it is to do with drink, though again I cannot be sure: but I think it was the silence.

It shames me.
 
I trust you would not be in this thread if your last sentence was not true, Phantomwolf. It is true we cannot wholly understand another's experience: but I think we can listen and learn from each other and understand better than we do now. I appreciate you are trying to avoid an annoying cliche, but what I am hoping is that we will make the honest effort to hear what each is saying. It is not easy. I imagine I will always pay greater attention to some aspects because of the things I have been taught: as will you, to different aspects. The ability to truly see everyone as fully human and to give their perspective as much weight as our own is vanishingly rare: we call those who can do it "saints" and they are not 10 a penny. But we can try.

I think that with a lot of things we are in agreement, I suspect that in some things we likely agree, but are getting the wrong end of each other's stick.

I do not think this is true. If that is the case then how do you account for the attrition rates in rape cases? I gather you are in NZ? Gumboot has shown some indication of the climate there and what I take from what I read in his links is that you began the process of changing the law etc quite early: and you are now in the middle of a major backlash. That is to be expected; social progress is not smooth.

I suspect here you might be misunderstanding me. I understand that rape cases are hard to prosecute, but, at least in NZ, the police believe and proceed with more then half of them, only failing them if the claiment lies to them in some way that would make her statement less believable. However, I am not talking about a female victim being more believed than a suspected male attacker, but rather a female victim is more believed than a male victim. Female victims at least have a 55% chance of getting the trial, more if they don't lie about how much they were drinking and such, males don't even get that much because the claim is pretty much one that won't be believed from the very start.

You assert that when a woman is raped there is generally a lot of evidence that we now know about. You mention "the types of injuries". This merely reiterates the myth of the violent stranger rape: and as the evidence shows this is a very, very small proportion of perpetrated rape.

I think here you misunderstand me again. Without getting into the details, I am sure you are aware that any sexual intercourse will result in minor injuries to the woman, mostly tears to delicate tissues. The intercourse doesn't have to be rough to do it, and it's one of the ways that coroners can determine if a female murder victim has been sexually active before her death. The pattern of the damages differes between rape victims and consentual sex and this can be used to show rape vs not. It's not foolproof but it certainly is a marker.

You go on to say there is DNA. Well DNA certainly exists and in some ways it has made the position of the rape victim harder. Its absence is taken as an indication that no rape took place. I am not an idiot, Phantomwolf: I was not unaware of the advice to rape victims. Yet if you read my OP every move I made meant that any complaint I made would fail:

I don't think you are an idiot, and I certainly hope my posting didn't come across that way. However had you laid a complaint then there likely still would have been DNA evidence, especially nowdays where very little is required to get a result. Bedding and clothing may have contained traces of semen and even skin cells as well as pubic hairs etc. While showering certainly destroys the best evidence, I can certainly understand doing so, wanting to wash the offender off, and I have heard of women almost rubbing their skin raw to get the smell off of themselves, but there are other sources of DNA that can be used even when such actions are taken by the victim.

I took a man home - instant reason to doubt my account, because I stepped outside of role, and because what possible reason could I have for doing that if I did not want sex. Can you hear the police questioning? Can you hear the defence lawyer? I can

Taking a man home isn't an invitation to sex. The police may certainly have considered you silly for doing it, but they wouldn't turn you away for that action, at least not in NZ. Even Prostitutes whop are raped (yse it can happen) get the same treatment and right to be heard out as everyone else.

I offered no resistance - what self respecting woman would not make even a token attempt at physical resistance? you said it yourself - we are looking for injury. After all it is a fate worse than death, isn't it? Well not to me, actually, but what do I know?

This would likely count against you in a trial, but it is also explainable. A lot of victims freeze. The account of "Mike" reports the same thing. He was a marine, strong fit quite able to throw his attacker off, but instead he froze. Behaving in a way that many victims do doesn't make you less believable to those that regularly deal with it, rather more.

I destroyed the evidence - it is a well known principle of law that the one who destroys the evidence is more likely to be lying is it not? But knowing that I went and showered. For a long time. And I was not thinking about how that would be seen at all: though I know how important it is if a case is to be brought. The advice about this is there because this is what a lot of women do. And I do not think I could have done anything else. I am even more suspect: I washed the bedding too because it stank of him. Obviously no honest woman would do that, and so the defence would say if it ever got to court. But it wouldn't. That is what attrition is all about

Again this would have hurt the case, and may have prevented it being able to go forward, not because the police would have disbelieved the story, but just because they may have felt they simply wouldn't have the evidence. Having said that, had they been called in, they may have found DNA on the matress cover, we honestly don't know. Again, doing something a lot of victims do won't reduce your believablity, though it could certainly reduse any possiblity of conviction. Often in these case the Police in NZ will call the offender in and read them the riot act to give them enough of a scare that they won't dare do it ever again. Not the perfect solution, but when they simply don't have the evidence to proceed despite believing the incident occured, it is a good option.

I did not report it at once. I did not report it at all, as it happens, but if I had it would not have been immediate. It took me a long time to process this event and to come to a place where I was sure I had not been at fault. And that is not so unusual either. What DH Lawrence called "the voices of my education" were very loud, and they drowned out my reason for a time.

Not reporting it immediately is one citera that police do look at in trying to evaluate the truth of the claim. It certainly isn't the only one, but it is a factor. Given that there was no reason for them to believe you had lied about any of the other events of the hight of the attack though, this probably wouldn't be enough to cause them to disbelieve you.

You assert that police departments will go out of their way to accept a complaint unless there is good evidence it is false. Go and read the attrition thread again. In many jurisdictions that is what is supposed to happen: in the real world we have made progress: for example the complainant is no longer required to take a lie detector test (yes those tests that don't work were standard in many jurisdictions for complaints of sexual assault: but curiously not for burglary - no idea why. Well I do actually): but when you have senior police officers telling the press that 50-80% of complaints are false then I am afraid I do not believe that the rules about what should happen are a reflection of the real practice. And the evidence bears this out. The police are people. They are subject to the same myths as all the rest of us: training helps but we have a very very long way to go. You talk as if it has all changed on the ground: it has not.

I actually read the documentation posted in the thread that explained why and how they reach a conclusion of whether a claimant is telling the truth. Unlike Gumboot's figues the study that was posted had about 35% they considered false and pointed out quite clearly why they would do so, mostly because the claimant lied somewhere in the testimony mixed with other signs such as the rape being "historic".

The rules for police response are identical. Why do you believe they are not followed when the complainant is a man, yet are followed when she is a woman? Do you have evidence for this? It is a curious belief on the face of it.

While the response should be identical, the first wall a male has to get over is the disbelief that a) a man didn't really want sex with a female, and b) that a female can force sex onto a male. Females don't have to first convince the officer that woman aren;'t always wanting sex with anyone and that men are capable of forcing women to have sex, those beliefs are already set. Fighting the disbelief from the start makes the entire claim less believable from the word go and more likely to be rejected or at least written off as unprovable in court.

It is the attitude women face now. I refer you again to the attrition figures

The problem is pointing at the figures doesn't tell the entire story. The police can believe the complainent, but decide they can't get a conviction. This adds to the attrition figures, but doesn't indicate they weren't believed. The case can go to trial but the jury can decide that there wasn't enough evidence to find guilty beyond reasonable doubt, again it adds to the attrition figures, but not because the police refused to believe. Simply saying "only 12% of complaints lead to conviction and therefore the rest are considered false" simply isn't true.

I am going to say something which will probably confirm all your suppositions now, and I am sorry for it but I know no other way to respond: that would be a perfectly reasonable expectation if: 1. Women had won their own fight and 2. Men had articulated what they see as the problem and had provided the evidence as women did and do.

If men get themselves organised and direct their complaints to the right quarters- the law and the culture- then I, for one, will support their struggle because then "they" will be "us". . But it is hardly reasonable to expect women to fight men's battles for them when they will not take the first step; and when so much of what they complain of is directed at taking away new and hard fought rights from women. For that is what is happening. Can you see that? I do not direct this at you personally: you have stuck to a call for the rights of male victims to be recognised and that is fair. But men did not initiate the fight for a change in women's position and they were in a good position to do that, having greater representation in the law and in government. Once women started it many men did help and I do not take that away: but they did not do it for us and nor should they have, necessarily.

I can understand that men have to be willing to stand up and fight for their rights as well, and unforunately you are correct that often the louder voices are those that seem to want to clamp dopwn on the "false claims" thogh in a way I can understand that too as real false claims hurt both women and men. Nothing frustrates me more then when a real fraud has been exposed and shown to be a 100% no doubt lie and rape crisis, instead of coming out and saying, "we all need to work together to say no to false claims", closes ranks about the "victim" and basically says "oh but she really was raped at some stage, and he probably would have done it if he had the chance cause he's a man." As such I can certainly understand where the call for clamping down on false allegations is coming from as well, but to me the more important fight is for equal justice for the groups left behind. In that area it is even worse to see people already victimized, revictimized by the people one would think should be the first to help them when they do actually stand up. I'm not asking women to fight the battle, merely to stand beside those that are out there trying to fight it, instead of stamping on them like they are an enemy.

I notice that you focus solely on female on male rape here too: you acknowledge that most male rape is by other men: that in those cases the kinds of evidence (injury and dna) you lean on so heavily is just as available: yet you do not make a start with that: instead you focus on the far rarer situation. Have you asked yourself why that is? It is important and I have acknowledged that: but nobody here is arguing it is very common (well actually you might be: not sure). Why this focus?

Because it generally isn't recognised. I tend to be someone that likes to fight for the underdog no one else will, I have been fighting for equal recognition for men suffering from DV for years, and that battle is finally starting to make head way. Male victims of female rapists is another under reported area where people's lives are ruined and offenders are getting away scott free. Generally people are well aware now of male-male rape and it is treated seriously. Female-male rape really only gets treated seriously when the victim is a minor. When I first became aware of and started fighting for male victim DV awareness, it was believed that this was very rare as well, but through talking to victims and even people weren't apparently victims to begin with, it soon became clear this is actually very common, just that no one would reported it, and when they did, few people believed them. Now studies are starting to back up the figures. In the same way, while I don't expect the numbers to be anywhere near those of male-female rape, if it includes the numbers for men emotionally or just plain blackmailed into performing sexual acts, I expect that people will be surprised by the number of female offenders who force by threat or physically force men to have sex with them. Allowing them to come out about it and talk about it without fear is the first step to healing for them, and for our society.

I have already agreed to all of this. But again I say, it seems to be quite rare. I do not resist the notion that women can be predatory: but they are not so in huge numbers, at least insofar as male rape is concerned. You cannot honestly expect women to divert attention from their own ongoing and big concerns to address the needs of a small number of men until their own struggle is much further forward. Is that hard to understand?

I tend to be less concerned by them not helping at all as I am by them diverting attention from their own ongoing and big concerns to actually actively oppose male victims getting equal recognition.

Again the point of this thread. Let me unpick a bit.

"all women are duplicitous liars" is a thread which runs through our culture. It is deep and it is simplistic. It is part of the unexamined narrative, because it goes in before we are conscious. And it has enough truth to allow it to persist. Like all powerless groups women have had to be economical with the truth in the past: without money or freedom they are still people. That means they have wants and desires they will try to meet: and consequences they will try to avoid. Powerless groups do not tell truth to power if the punishment for doing so is severe: that is true of all people. And so there is some justification for this charge, historically.

And now I will get jumped on by some, because that will be enough to make some of our more simplistic thinkers fall back on stereotype and breathe a sigh of relief. I have no wish to deny facts which do not help my case and I think that is always a mistake: but I see this as a feature of people: not of women. The charge of dishonesty is always levelled at the poor and powerless: so the english said it of the irish; and the americans said it of native americans; slave owners said it of slaves: and they were all correct for the same reasons.

But it is a stereotype to tie it to people rather than circumstances, if you see the distinction: and the fact that lie detectors were used in rape complaints: that judges were required by law to warn juries that women often lie in these cases: and all the other stereotypically based "safeguards" which have served to disadvantage women is in no way justified. And we both know that

"all men are potential rapists" is a different thing. It is also a thread which runs through our culture though not as widespread as the other. It is manifest in all the unspoken and unconscious precautions I have mentioned before: but unlike the "women as liars" it was not stated explicitly in mainstream culture until the feminist movement brought it out. It was implicit in the way women were raised and it was an underlying assumption in the whole hydraulic theory of male sexuality: but you did not get the insult in your face till relatively recently. When feminists made that statement we were talking to each other. And the way we understood it was this: in our lives we had to act as if it were true because there are a lot of rapists and we do not know who they are, That is what underpins the precautions we take. It is not saying that every man will rape given opportunity but that some will: and they exist in high enough numbers to restrain our freedom. That is not what men heard, however, so far as I can tell. And since they are not so used to being insulted it obviously hurts.

I cannot address the rest now for I must go to work. I hope that others will continue this conversation and I wish to state again: I am trying to improve our understanding: not to bash anyone. So if this has appeared combative then I am sorry: my intent is to explore the points you have raised and to show where we disagree.

To be honest I have never been exposed to the idea that "all women are duplicitous liars" which is supposed to be out there, but I have encountered the "all men are potential rapists" numerous times. From my personal experience, I honestly think the second is the greater ingrained myth in society today.
 
First, I'd like to thank Fiona for opening up this thread, both for the experience shared and the opportunity to discuss this. I had been going to post in the other thread, but was fairly quickly dismayed by the tone and tenor of what was going on there - I know forums lend themselves to this, which is why I often find myself lurking on them rather than fully participating...

Reading Soapy Sam's post, I can offer my experience in this, though of course, it is mine alone so can't be read as anything but.

In my late teens I was raped, and though I could never be described at the time as a strapping young lad, the man who raped me could likewise never be described as particularly intimidating, in his fifties, certainly a little out of shape, so I should have been able to resist enough to at least have gotten out of the situation. But I didn't, nothing more than a plea to stop. Initially, I don't think there was a fear of greater harm, but I think there was definitely a state of shock going on, and confusion that this was actually happening, and by the time that all sunk in, it was happening and something like defeat or resignation just seeped in.

So I don't know if that's passivity, but if so, then it's something that's not particular to females, anecdotal in my case, and in those of a few other men I've known who've had similar experiences I'd be willing to say it's simple human nature that transcends gender. I don't know if it illuminates anything at all, I'm still puzzled by it myself, often enough, as I am by the complete inconsistency of my reactions in emergencies. Sometimes I react in a clear thinking and rapid way, others I have uncomprehending freezes while my brain struggles to catch up with the reality of the situation. For what it's worth, there was no alcohol involved, nor even factors of being woken from sleep. The evening in question simply spiralled out of control from what had been coffee and conversation.

Returning to the question of the fear of greater harm, I have sometimes wondered since if I might have reacted more strongly if I had faced a more explicit physical threat. I think I knew that this was the worst of it while it was happening, which is plenty bad, true, but I never felt afraid for my life or feared injury beyond the forced penetration.

I'd be giving myself too much credit for thinking this at the time, but I also know afterwards that I wondered if I had reacted physically to prevent it, if that would have come to haunt me. If the man had reported that as assault, I think in a he said/he said situation, the doubt might have been cast on the younger male with a bad haircut and punk looks when pitted against a respectable professional with a public name in the local arts community.

The confusion this issue brought up was one of a number of reasons I never reported the crime, coupled with the usual amount of youth angst and a fear of how I would be perceived among friends, especially if it got out that I hadn't resisted it, I found it all too easy to go silent on the issue altogether, for well over a decade letting it eat away at me for well over a decade.

Sadly, I've talked to an acquaintance on the police force of the city I grew up in, and they had particularly good training on the issue of rape at the time, spearheaded by efforts of a local women's group. In part because of the knowledge of the issues, and certainly in part because of the age difference between this man and I, they would have certainly taken the report seriously.

Doubly sad, this officer admitted that had we been close in age, adults, and it happening between two men, there would have been those on the force who would've completely downplayed the issue. Social views on homosexuality in the late eighties on the prairies would've seen it somewhat akin to "if you play with matches...", even if it one of the parties weren't gay. I guess the heartening part of that was that he only said 'some', which I take to mean that most would've been professional enough to do their jobs regardless of what they thought.

Whew. Long post, it's hard to write succinctly about this, hope it was worth the time spent reading. I'll come back with some of the points I wanted to raise in the thread after a break, since I sidetracked myself talking about this.
 
I have read about this reaction. I do not seem to be alone in it but it appears to be partly personality and partly situational. In the literature about gathering evidence about rape it talks about exploring the details of what happens in quite surprising ways: and one of the things sometimes mentioned is "passive resistance". Some women do not resist actively by screaming or fighting but they will not cooperate: and that is what I think I did. I "went away" at some point: I was terrified and I "went away". He had sex with a lump of meat and I think he would have had more response from a doughnut. I do not think my fear showed: I do not think I reacted in any way at all. In some sense I wasn't there at all

A better sense of what I meant when I mentioned 'defeat' and 'resignation'. It was a very detached experience during the rape.
 
I'm thankfull for these amazing tales. Some strong stuff here. Best to you all, this thanksgiving night.
 
Fiona, thank you for relating your experience (I know it isn't easy), and for so articulately setting out your points (including on other threads). I've been a bit dismayed by some of the attitudes recently expressed by some people on this forum and have been spending less time here. I appreciate that you've taken the time to present well-reasoned arguments and have been persistent and patient.

The only complaint on the sexual offences spectrum that I've made to police was over a peeping-tom incident, and their attitude was discouraging to say the least. In hindsight, the offer by one of my brothers and a couple of his burly mates to "have a word" with the man in question might have been more productive.


To be honest I have never been exposed to the idea that "all women are duplicitous liars" which is supposed to be out there, but I have encountered the "all men are potential rapists" numerous times. From my personal experience, I honestly think the second is the greater ingrained myth in society today.


Here are two recent examples from this forum:

Women lie and use euphemisms.

When I joke with my mates about women being manipulative and deceitful, am I really just, in some strange human way, reinforcing my profound affection for the female of the species?
 
Magenta,

With your ability to quote people out of context I recommend you consider a career as a journalist for the tabloid press.;)
 
Sorry Ivor but I think that is a ridiculous question. The question is how to get a fair process. The outcome of that will be what it will be

How is the process unfair at the moment?

How should the process be changed?

How would such changes affect the fairness of treatment of the defendant?
 
Phantomwolf: Re your assertion that men who have been raped are less likely to be believed, or for their cases to be prosecuted; Magenta posted this on another thread:

• Characteristically rape victims who were most likely to see charges laid were:
male; physically injured; medically examined; not influenced by alcohol or drugs at the time of the offence; subject to other offences alongside the rape; and, raped by offenders well known to police for previous sexual offending. This is despite the overwhelming majority of rape victims (92.5 per cent) being female.

98. Male victims were more likely to see charges laid (27.1 per cent compared with 14 per cent for females). No male victims (n=64) were charged with false reporting or were involved in cases where police doubted their credibility. Male victims were also less likely to withdraw their complaints (8.5 per cent compared with 15.7 per cent of female victims).


http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4232742&postcount=46
 
Last edited:
Phantomwolf: Re your assertion that men who have been raped are less likely to be believed, or for their cases to be prosecuted; Magenta posted this on another thread:






http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4232742&postcount=46

And the reason is bloody obvious. Unusual circumstances. Most men do not willingly consent to having anal sex with or fellating another man.

On the other hand many women do have consensual sex with men after inviting them into their house.
 
How is the process unfair at the moment?

How should the process be changed?

How would such changes affect the fairness of treatment of the defendant?

Ivor, have you done any reading at all on this subject? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, here are some of the problems and some changes to procedure that could help:

http://www.polfed.org/0905news5.pdf
http://www.crimereduction.homeoffice.gov.uk/sexual/sexual13.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/mar/12/ukcrime.gender
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/PO/releases/2006/december/juries.aspx

Here's what one judge has said about rape cases:

He said he thought that Juries got it right 'most of the time'
http://amyblyth.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-does-judge-have-to-say-about-rape.html
 
Ivor, have you done any reading at all on this subject? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Anyway, here are some of the problems and some changes to procedure that could help:

http://www.polfed.org/0905news5.pdf
http://www.crimereduction.homeoffice.gov.uk/sexual/sexual13.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/mar/12/ukcrime.gender
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/PO/releases/2006/december/juries.aspx

<snip>

Thank you. Many of the points raised in the above links seem reasonable, particularly those which related to making an effort to gather the maximum amount of available forensic evidence.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom