ExMinister
RSL Acolyte
- Joined
- Jul 11, 2007
- Messages
- 2,982
The amywilsons of this world really bug the crap out of me at times like this. I worked in a New Age book store when I was in college. I'd had some abnormal psych classes by then as part of my major. And at least once a month someone would come into that store with clearcut symptoms of schizophrenia or manic delusions that even an undergrad like me could see.
Customer: "I'm telepathic and there's a conspiracy of people out to get me. They have my phone tapped." Employee: "You're right! Check out this book on conspiracy theories." Or customer #2: "I hear voices and they tell me to do stuff and it's scaring me." Employee: "That's so cool! You're psychic!" Customer: "I'm supposed to be on meds but they are poisoning me." Employee: "Doctors always try to do that - they don't understand you're just psychic! Here read this book on homeopathic medicine and how regular medicines can be toxic."
I worry that people like Brendy will fall into the hands of someone like this instead of getting the help they need.
Customer: "I'm telepathic and there's a conspiracy of people out to get me. They have my phone tapped." Employee: "You're right! Check out this book on conspiracy theories." Or customer #2: "I hear voices and they tell me to do stuff and it's scaring me." Employee: "That's so cool! You're psychic!" Customer: "I'm supposed to be on meds but they are poisoning me." Employee: "Doctors always try to do that - they don't understand you're just psychic! Here read this book on homeopathic medicine and how regular medicines can be toxic."
I worry that people like Brendy will fall into the hands of someone like this instead of getting the help they need.