• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there evidence your god beliefs are true while other god beliefs are false?

You traduce me articullet. You wouldn't piss me off so much if I wasn't impressed by your commitment to doing your homework. I just don't think much of your penchant for categorizing people as a class and attributing icky inner qualities to the class you don't like.

Methinks thou doth protest too much. Yes... there is a class of people who believe in things for which there is no measurable evidence. I call these people woos. All the woos think their woo is true and all the other stuff is woo. But I think they are all woos. You don't like being lumped in with other woos, but you can't give any reasons why your belief in an invisible creator of the universe is less wooish than all the stuff that you find woo-ish.

I don't need to do homework to figure that out. And I don't do homework assigned by woos. They tend to be people who think they have a lot to teach, but I find them blinded to their own arrogance and ignorance. You know, like Tom Cruise. He's nice and handsome and a good actor-- but still a woo. Like you. Unless there is some reason why believing in whatever you believe is less wooish than believing in Xenu--so far, there has been no reason given in your and Beth's pedantry.
 
Last edited:
Yes. That doesn't answer the question though. Do you agree with skeptigirl's definition of evidence such that any type of testimony cannot be considered evidence? Just to clarify, she stated:

TESTIMONY IS EVIDENCE.

CONTENT OF TESTIMONY IS NOT EVIDENCE. IT IS A CONCLUSION.
 
It's clear to me that the theists in this thread don't understand what evidence is, on a scientific level.
 
TESTIMONY IS EVIDENCE.

CONTENT OF TESTIMONY IS NOT EVIDENCE. IT IS A CONCLUSION.

No need to shout. Testimony is evidence but the content is not? Could you describe for me what the non-conclusion non-evidence part of testimony is? I would have thought that testimony devoid of content would have also been devoid of evidence.
 
Right. Evidence is not the same as proof. Difference conclusions can be drawn from the same evidence.
Yes, imagine a world in which different ideas could compete to see which is the best. What a paradise that would be, eh? :)

Perhaps. But there still is one truth. A murder is committed. A defendant might be found guilty or innocent. But the verdict is not necessarily the truth. O.J. was not convicted. That does not mean he is innocent. See?

One truth, Beth. The best way to find that truth is to follow the measurable evidence towards the best explanation. That someone's version of an invisible entity or entities might exist in some manner is NOT the best explanation. And yet, it's the one you seem to be hanging on to.
 
No need to shout. Testimony is evidence but the content is not? Could you describe for me what the non-conclusion non-evidence part of testimony is? I would have thought that testimony devoid of content would have also been devoid of evidence.

JEEZUS, it's not that hard to understand.

TESTIMONIAL EVIDENCE: "I saw a red car at place X at time T."

TESTIMONIAL EVIDENCE: "I saw a green car at place X at time T."

NOT EVIDENCE, CONCLUSION: There is a red car at place X at time T.

NOT EVIDENCE, CONCLUSION: There is a green car at place X at time T.

And again this drum is endlessly beaten.
 
It's clear to me that the theists in this thread don't understand what evidence is, on a scientific level.

Only when it's convenient. I'm sure they could understand why someone believing that they were possessed is not evidence that a person is possessed... I'm sure they could understand why someone swearing by astrology is not evidence that astrology works... but when it come to god-- peoples' transcendent feelings suddenly become evidence for god and whatever magical qualities one attributes to that god.

Beth is conveniently stupid. All theists are. They aren't stupid when it comes to other woo-- Xenu, conspiracy theories, etc. I bet they could even tell you why the things believers point to for evidence is not evidence of what they've concluded it's evidence for-- but when it comes to their magical sky daddy that they've been promised they'll be rewarded for believing in-- then lots of believers in something with the same "name" suddenly becomes "evidence" that an invisible form of consciousness exists-- and cares especially about them!

I think it's arrogant, but they always imagine themselves humble for having this belief.
 
Last edited:
Memories exist. Red exists. Cars exist. It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to conclude that someone can accurately remember a the color of a car.

Imaginary friends don't exist, but believers in them often think they do.

You have managed to invent evidence that the one you believe in does. That is NOT evidence that it does. It's evidence that you have an imaginary friend.
 
They seem to want to use a court of law to determine reality rather than science. Perhaps it's because courts of law allow for loopholes and rhetoric matters.
 
Methinks thou doth protest too much. Yes... there is a class of people who believe in things for which there is no measurable evidence.

Classify away. It's the attributing such a florid profusion of wicked inner qualities to your classifactions that I think is a dangerous fallacy. If you want to attribute horrible inner qualities specifically to me, personally, do feel free.
 
Classify away. It's the attributing such a florid profusion of wicked inner qualities to your classifactions that I think is a dangerous fallacy. If you want to attribute horrible inner qualities specifically to me, personally, do feel free.

It's not a florid profusion of wicked inner qualities... just basic credulity. The ones on this forum do tend towards the self righteous... but I imagine it's because they have a desire for skeptics to respect their woo and it's threatening when they don't. Moreover, they tend to feel like they are here to teach and tend to be unaware that others here know more than them on given subjects. Plus, they often put down some of my favorite posters while imagining themselves much more likable than I see them.

Annoying... but not worse than Tom Cruise... no florid profusion of wicked inner qualities... just a much higher opinion of themselves than is warranted by anything they post.

I'm guessing that the woos find themselves their favorite posters and the majority find much to admire in other posters while the woos take offense at everything the majority says.
 
Btw, I know not all believers are the same or have the same level of vapidity or gullibility in their beliefs. But that doesn't make any of the woo true, now does it?... not your god or Xenu or demons-- nor does it mean that some young kid is the reincarnation of some departed holy man.

Sure, people can believe in all these things for reasons they think are good. That doesn't mean that such things exist or that their reasons really are good or warranted. People have very loose standards of evidence for what they want to believe or already believe... and no amount of evidence can change their mind when they think "faith" is the key to salvation.

God believers are making the same fallacy as someone who looks at aberrant behavior and finds that it's evidence for demon possession. It's evidence of aberrant behavior-- maybe mental illness, a neurological disease, drugs, etc. It is NOT evidence of demon possession. First, one would need to show that demons exist-- or that any invisible form of consciousness can exist (and possess people).

Red cars exist. There is no evidence that demons do.
 
Last edited:
You sorted this out then? You meant religion is a sort of mind virus and its popularity is evidence that it is addictive like tobacco right? There is not really any evidence for that hypothesis.

So you would purport that human minds innately know there is a god, and that faith is not transmitted to children when their minds are malleable?

I suppose you think inclement weather causes colds too? Viruses come from nowhere?

Probably. The average lifespan was 35 or so until suprisingly recently.

And you conclude what? That if religion was based on a desire for immortality that religion should be on the decline? Well guess what? Religion is on the decline and that decline can be correlated with longevity. Or were you going to say that increase in lifespan should mean the complete disappearance of religion?;) I mean really this line of exploration isn't helping you:)

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about death. It isn't a major motive in my life.

Why should you? Haven't you been promised immortality?;) All you have to do is internalize doctrine as reality to get it.

I doubt it is in most 21st century types, until they pass middle age. In any event, religion can actually increase fear of death. Why don't you provide some evidence, so I can see what you think you mean. I suspect you won't be satisfied with any interpretation I put on your claim.

So it surprises you that people who are only slightly religious fear death more than people who are more religious? Or that nonreligious people have already given the idea some thought and better accept it?

It surprises you that strongly religious fear death the least?

And this supports your position.. how?:D


It's certainly a hypothesis. I think religion is more like being handed an english teacher. I think it can impede morality, precisely because it is so effective at shaping some of the foundational assumptions we use to make moral decisions. You will get no argument from me that religious persons have to justify their actions by the same objective standards as anyone else.

Not the least quibble with this.

We may yet work up to Fox news/NPR violence. In my view it doesn't take much more than a tool for convincing people that they have a group identity and that it is threatened by another group. Religion certainly can do this. It can also provide a method for connecting with the alien and the outsider.

You mean converting an alien into a believer. Religious 'outreach' has a goal, it's is not to embrace otherness, it's to eliminate otherness. Religion propagates conformity.

Right. I don't fully understand the function of religion, and yet I claim some of the things it does are beneficial.

Agreed. But those things can be done without religion. And religion does bad things that cannot be done without religion.

I am sorry for your friend. I don't think I'll share the incident it brings to mind. In any event, I acknowledge that religion can be a tool to incite violence. Are you under the impression that bully boys need a religious reason to be violent homophobes?

Are you under the impression that homosexuals are not regularly executed in the name of god?

It may help you to note I'm not making absolute claims, so your counters come off as specious. I never said all bad things happen because of religion. And I welcome a debate about how much. But it really doesn't make you look credible when you keep trying to put words in my mouth of the form 'there would never be a gay executed without religion'. There would be, but not nearly as many. And as the cultural stigma and intolerance that is abetted by religion fell out of acceptance I suggest it would diminish.

..What is really impressive about it, though is its ability to teach its practioners certain social attitudes that I find deeply humbling, when I really stop to think about it. Those attitudes translate pretty well into action. I can take another, explicit stab at this, in another post, if you like.

Sure. You may be able to come up with some good, which can be shown to be impossible without religion which might change my mind from thinking in the ideal circumstance no religion would be desirable to thinking, assuming the power (unlikely) and moral authority (more unlikely) to get rid of religion we would see that it would be impossible to do completely and doing so would cause more harm than good. In which case we'd have to devise some method to somehow constrain it so that we could curb the evils while maintaining the necessary goods.


Why don't you explain why it is a strawman? Then I can address whatever you're actually thinking without deploying my psychic powers.

You mischaracterized what I said then attacked the mischaracterization. It's right there. Stop it;) It doesn't fly well here, and you'll get called on it abut every time you try.

Inner experience can be manipulated. It's prone too error. That's why I think deference to better proven methods is the touchstone for reasonableness. I don't see any reason to buy your slippery slope argument, though.

Well you wouldn't would you?;) Questioning faith is after all, defined as a bad thing in religions;)

I think faith can be a cause of error. I haven't mentioned it because I thought the central thrust of SkG's challenge was showing it was possible to discriminate between god beliefs on some other basis. In all honesty I took your focus on it to be some sort of trap, so you could then shout about how I don't understand the difference between faith and reason.

Not at all. And I'm gratified that you do see the difference. You can see that some people don't see the difference tho.

That sincerely drew a snort. Cheers for style.

:D

Thank you for acknowledging the first point. I agree that god beliefs are not required to do good. I think that the ability to do good depends on more than reasoning, however. I have some evidence for this, posted above. I think we have to be trained and to practice particular emotional postures, to get good at them. A sort of psychic training, if you will. Religion may not have a monopoly on this, but its certainly the most common provider.

Then perhaps we should focus on the question of what religion provides that could not otherwise be provided, or would even be too impractical to provide. We will presume I said jihad, inquisitions, intolerance, etc, already and try to focus on the good things;)

The Presbyterian church is governed by a bicameral house of representatives elected by the laity, and has more committees than a fortune 500 company with a new corporate vision. In the midwest it is also blessed with a culture of mild discomfort for extreme positions, and a voracious appetite for "polite" disagreement which advanced practioners can extend for years. There are checks and balances designed by people with your concerns in mind.

Wisely so. And I do accept that 'societally polite' religions do exist. It's almost as if these realize faith is an addictive and dangerous drug but either can't live without it or convince themselves there is some other benefit that it provides that makes it worth the risk. In that recognition they take systemic measures to keep it in check.

I think there's some interesting stuff in here, possibly distorted by typing fatigue. Would you explain how existential responsibility is different from the more mundane kind I'm familiar with? And are you sneering at emotion here, or claiming you're beyond it or what? I not embarrassed by the assertion that religion involves my emotions.

Not sneering at emotion at all. Existential responsibility I mean is taking responsibility for one's own existence. By adopting a religion you are given ready answers for unpleasant questions. Why am I here? What is my purpose? What should I be doing?

It's a common complaint of new atheists. Reason led them down a road but didn't prepare them for what was at the end. "Ok, I never really bought the heaven stuff, and I couldn't avoid getting where I am, but.. now what?" Lots of theists similarly don't even believe in an afterlife, but facing that responsibility is too just much.


I think we agree on almost everything but language, meaning, context and history here. Is it fair to say you think your moral positions are entirely self-derived? Are you the master of your fate/captain of your soul? Greek logic through and through? That sort of thing?

Yes and no. Believe it or not I'm a romantic.

Of course, my moral decisions are not entirely self derived, but they are not based on an external doctrine nor are they immutable. I'm a moral anti-realist, as such I have to take responsibility for my own morality. That responsibility may oblige me to steal some morality from others;) But I won't take dish that comes with a blue pill. Faith is the blue pill.
 
Epeos:

Sorry, I was short, and I don't mean to be short at you. The reason I'm so frustrated is because I've seen all this before with Beth.

In regards to language: The evolutionary processes that led to language are important to consider, yes. But without the existance of a mind (which has also arisen via evolutionary processes), it is meaningless to say that language exists. A sheet of paper will still be a sheet of paper and ink will still be ink should intelligent life cease to exist. But without a mind to interpret and give context, what possible meaning can be assigned to the pattern of ink scrawled on the paper? Where does that meaning exist absent a mind to conceive it? - not necessarily a human mind, mind you. :p It is the same criticism that I apply to the concepts of 'justice' and 'mercy', and that is why they are not valid analogies for god.

Kaylee is too damn cute for words. And I had a weird moment...

...watching the episode where Mal is accidentally 'married'. The girl he gets married to looks exactly like my ex-girlfriend looks, save for the hair colour. It's an eerie experience right up to the point she starts...you know...trying to kill them all.
 
Faithkills:

Yeah, Beth's argument pretty much amounts to, "argument from popularity shouldn't be a fallacy".
 
So you would purport that human minds innately know there is a god, and that faith is not transmitted to children when their minds are malleable?

I suppose you think inclement weather causes colds too? Viruses come from nowhere?

What now? We have to be taught lots of behaviors and beliefs. Tooth brushing, for example. I don't think that makes tooth brushing a mind virus. In fact, I don't think the concept of addictive ideas is well defined.

And you conclude what? That if religion was based on a desire for immortality that religion should be on the decline? Well guess what? Religion is on the decline and that decline can be correlated with longevity. Or were you going to say that increase in lifespan should mean the complete disappearance of religion?;) I mean really this line of exploration isn't helping you:)

I'm saying that whatever role fear of death may have played in religion in the past, it hasn't been the major selling factor for progressive christianity for some time.

Why should you? Haven't you been promised immortality?;) All you have to do is internalize doctrine as reality to get it.

I have never been interest in the immortality part. It would be fair to say that I don't believe it, and it would be fair to say that is not really an uncommon position for progressive christians.

So it surprises you that people who are only slightly religious fear death more than people who are more religious? Or that nonreligious people have already given the idea some thought and better accept it?


It surprises you that strongly religious fear death the least?

And this supports your position.. how?:D

It shows that religion can induce a fear of death as easily as relieve it. nothing in the study suggests that the nonreligious "have given the matter some thought" in any special manner.

You mean converting an alien into a believer. Religious 'outreach' has a goal, it's is not to embrace otherness, it's to eliminate otherness. Religion propagates conformity.

You're mistaken. I'm talking about personal acts that embrace the potential for difference, with no element of evangilism.

Agreed. But those things can be done without religion. And religion does bad things that cannot be done without religion.

Genocide, programatic, violent homophobia, and ethnic cleansing have all be accomplished sans religion. You'll have to identify what specific types of evil acts you are thinking of.

Are you under the impression that homosexuals are not regularly executed in the name of god?

None are executed in the name of progressive presbyterianism. You can find denominations willing to ordain and marry homosexuals. I think its worth staying in for that fight.

This is the same argument as above. Religion can certainly be used to do horrible things, but it isn't the only way to do it.


It may help you to note I'm not making absolute claims, so your counters come off as specious. I never said all bad things happen because of religion. And I welcome a debate about how much. But it really doesn't make you look credible when you keep trying to put words in my mouth of the form 'there would never be a gay executed without religion'. There would be, but not nearly as many. And as the cultural stigma and intolerance that is abetted by religion fell out of acceptance I suggest it would diminish.

What helpful advice. I will bear it in mind. Perhaps you could bear in mind that I can only see the actual words you put on the page, and have to fill in the rest based on what I infer about your position from your style.

Your suggestion is plausible. To me it rests on the idea that without religion there would be no other vectors for widespread prejudice, though. I disagree.

What do you know about the change in attitudes towards homosexuality in China after the communist revolution? Republican Rome v. Greece?

In which case we'd have to devise some method to somehow constrain it so that we could curb the evils while maintaining the necessary goods.

May I suggest a creed emphasizing earthly responsibilites over the otherwordly, recognizing the preeminence of systematic empiricism, and embodied in a church governed by a bicameral legislature elected by the laity?


You mischaracterized what I said then attacked the mischaracterization. It's right there. Stop it;) It doesn't fly well here, and you'll get called on it abut every time you try.

It's right there. Yes. Thank you. The subjective intent you have when you write this stuff isn't self-evidently visible. I'm willing to be corrected. You have the responsibility of communicating your position at the risk of being misunderstood or ignored.

Well you wouldn't would you?;) Questioning faith is after all, defined as a bad thing in religions;)

The heck? Isn't this one of those absolutes you aren't using? How many times do you want me to say that practioners need to (1) defer to better verified knowledge, and (2) continue to test the effects of their beliefs against their best, objective judgment.

I think there is a duty to continually question faith. Questioning changed the shape of mine considerably.


Then perhaps we should focus on the question of what religion provides that could not otherwise be provided, or would even be too impractical to provide. We will presume I said jihad, inquisitions, intolerance, etc, already and try to focus on the good things;)

I'm not sure religion can do anything that can't hypothetically be accomplished by some other means. I think my god beliefs are one known way to teach and practice a state of mind/set of emotional postures/set of relationships that are valuable.

Earlier, I acknowledged it may be possible to replace particular god beliefs, and still make the system work. On reflection, I realized that I know it is possible, because I've already edited the set. I think my current beliefs are the minimum necessary to make the thing work. I certainly could be wrong.

Wisely so. And I do accept that 'societally polite' religions do exist. It's almost as if these realize faith is an addictive and dangerous drug but either can't live without it or convince themselves there is some other benefit that it provides that makes it worth the risk. In that recognition they take systemic measures to keep it in check.

Since I am specifically arguing I think god beliefs provide a particular type of benefits and can be dangerous if not checked, it is very much like that is what we do.

Not sneering at emotion at all. Existential responsibility I mean is taking responsibility for one's own existence. By adopting a religion you are given ready answers for unpleasant questions. Why am I here? What is my purpose? What should I be doing?

That's interesting. At least with respect to the "what should I be doing" part? I think I did get most of my beliefs on that score from watching parents/etc practice actions rooted in, or at least explained by progressive christianity i.e. try to develop your talents, try to support the weak, strengthen the downhearted, people are more important than ideas, pay particular attention to the outcasts etc. Render unto Caeser.

And ultimately, that is likely what I am most moved by. I want to honor the commitment of all of those people to those hard ideals. I value the way my religion fosters them without extremism or exalting purity of theory. I can find other reasons to adopt any I've listed now, but they weren't really taught as a closed set of axioms, and I think the value lies in fostering the emotional and social techniques that produce them.

In any event, my moral positions are not any more "immutable" than yours.
 
Last edited:
I'll address the rest later but this was a gem.

What helpful advice. I will bear it in mind. Perhaps you could bear in mind that I can only see the actual words you put on the page, and have to fill in the rest based on what I infer about your position from your style.

Your suggestion is plausible. To me it rests on the idea that without religion there would be no other vectors for widespread prejudice, though. I disagree.

In two contiguous paragraphs you mock me for suggesting you stop the strawman crap after advising you I have made no absolute assertions, clarifying exaclty what those absolute positions were not, and then, in the very next paragraph, you do it again.

WTH is with theists? I mean seriously WTF. Does this work on your peers? Or is dissent so much more suppressed than I ever imagined that you simply have no idea how this all works? Are you really this ignorant or do you think we are?

Don't do this anymore. Your credibility is being damaged. Stop.

If you want to engage in a discussion that is great.

But if you really think that crap works, you are not going to be happy:)

I reread this before I clicked the post button, because it just seemed implausible you would make this post, but no. You did. Heh.
 
Epeos... you've been drawn to reasons that "validate" religion while excluding your beliefs from the damages that faith does.

Religion is spread like chain letters and Santa... only on a much grander scale-- rewards are promised to those of faith who "spread the word", and doubting is seen as a sin... a reason for punishment. And then there's eternal damnation... even Pascal could be convinced to believe "just in case". People believe because they are told god is true by trusting authority figures when they are kid and inculcated with a fear of doubting. What else is new. Regimes, cults, and religions, have been using stuff like this for years... and as a bonus, they encourage their members to go forth and multiply and begin instilling the indoctrination memes on the gullible genes from birth. The most successful religions spread themselves with this simple start... bonus if you get people to feel indebted for eternity and afraid to ask questions... extra bonus if converting others is encouraged and you get to feel super special or "chosen" for believing...

Humans have always been good at mind games... the ones that are the best at it often spread their genes and memes the furthest.

My contention is that all religions are like all other religions is regards to truth... and all religions are like every other woo in regards to truth. You have yet to show why yours isn't. Or why any religion isn't.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom