• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there evidence your god beliefs are true while other god beliefs are false?

What are their errors? Don't you think they'd point to errors in your beliefs? What exactly do you believe? Why should we respect your beliefs more than other woo beliefs?

It just always sounds to me that everyone thinks they have good reasons to believe in whatever "supernatural" or divine things they believe in, but they sound like all the other reasons people believe in supernatural things to my ears. Even as you sit there and tell me about the bar you set, I can hear any woo making the same claim.

Why are people mistaken about astrology, but you are not similarly mistaken about god?
 
Last edited:
Think you could unreify a bit for me? Is language an "artificial" human "construct"? Are you on board with the idea that some of the constituents of justice and mercy might be built into our skulls?

I'd say language at least is obviously a hybrid. Some of it is direct human invention and some is hardwired. Some may have evolved "meme" fashion on a more abstract level.

Same deal with justice and mercy. I don't think we have a complete answer yet.

There is evidence that moral decisions of this type are based on emotional reasoning as well as cognition. There is also evidence that emotional reasoning can be trained and structured by language. The next step in the chain is an unproven hypothesis, but not a delusional one.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to get at here. Yes, language is an artificial human construct. You can't point to something in reality and say, "There, that's an English." How much of it is 'hard-wired' in is irrelevant to the fact that absent a mind to conceive of it, language would cease to exist (along with justice, mercy, and other such concepts).
 
ETA: It would be ever so nice if, when you post your scathing, invincible, irrefutable rebuttal, you address the propositions I am actually suggesting, instead of whatever the last five god bothers you discussed this with had to say. Please note that "Nuh uh" is not a response fostering further discussion.

Yes, and it would be ever so nice if someone actually answered the question in the OP. Yes... you all have different bars and different beliefs and fervor of belief... I'm just trying to figure out why you think your version is truer than those others. Do you think there might be some real psychics out there? If so, how would you tell them from the fake ones? I'm just wondering how people determine that some version of some invisible being is "real" when they know that others cannot be. Do you believe in demons? Demon possession? Reincarnation? It seems like there is no valid way to determine whether your beliefs are a delusion or not. I can't tell them from a delusion and believers never test their beliefs for delusion the way they dismiss others (like Xenu) as just that.

I'm not being scathing--you just hear it that way because you don't want to think your beliefs are as wooish as beliefs you don't share. But to most skeptics, I'm sure they are.
 
Last edited:
She doesn't like the message, so she considers the messenger (you) rude.

All woos think those who don't "respect" their woo are rude.


Moby was rude to her. Of course, he correctly stated that this did not effect the quality of his arguments. Beth, being a poor, emotionally frail theist, choose to put him on ignore instead of deal with the hassle. I would have advised her to do that, if she had asked me since there are at least four of you here to make the same arguments on his behalf.

It is in fact possible to be terribly rude to a woo of any kind Articullet. You do it the same way you would if you wanted to be rude to a real person.

It may sometimes be appropriate. Even pretending Beth's posts were all deeply flawed it is hard to see how patiently attempting civil discussion justifies that kind of treatment, though.
 
Yes, and it would be ever so nice if someone actually answered the question in the OP. Yes... you all have different bars and different beliefs and fervor of belief... I'm just trying to figure out why you think your version is truer than those others. Do you think there might be some real psychics out there? If so, how would you tell them from the fake ones? I'm just wondering how people determine that some version of some invisible being is "real" when they know that others cannot be. Do you believe in demons? Demon possession? Reincarnation? It seems like there is no valid way to determine whether your beliefs are a delusion or not. I can't tell them from a delusion and believers never test their beliefs for delusion the way they dismiss others (like Xenu) as just that.

I'm not being scathing--you just hear it that way because you don't want to think your beliefs are as wooish as beliefs you don't share. But to most skeptics, I'm sure they are.

Rejected. I've explicitly answered the OP in two posts. One - 419 - got Sketigirls' acknowledgment, though she rejected my conclusion.

And really, putting aside the issue of god or no god, I can say that you don't have the beginning of an inkling of about my motives or feelings. I quite respect a scathing reply, when it is done well.
 
Not sure exactly what you're trying to get at here. Yes, language is an artificial human construct. You can't point to something in reality and say, "There, that's an English." How much of it is 'hard-wired' in is irrelevant to the fact that absent a mind to conceive of it, language would cease to exist (along with justice, mercy, and other such concepts).

I can point to your post and say, "that's English". I could do it even if ever single mind that understood the language disappeared (though in that case, I would presumably be making the equivalent statement in some other language). Someone would have to be around to do the pointing, but that gets a bit arcane for me.

It has been at least suggested that some components of justice and mercy would fall out of a proper analysis of group behavior. The buzz words would be game theory, reproductive utility, group strategies etc. I can google something, but I bet you're at least as familiar with this idea as I am. That suggests they deserve a similar classification.

SkG and various neurologists have suggested that our moral sense is the result of the fact that we are hard wired with an emotional "grammar" to help us navigate group dynamics. There is evidence that we can influence the shape and scope of those feelings.

I think (but can't prove) that has almost always been one of the functions of religion. If that's right, then the appropriate god beliefs may very well foster certain qualities of mercy or justice that wouldn't necessarily arise without an equivalent stimulus.
 
. I can't tell them from a delusion and believers never test their beliefs for delusion the way they dismiss others (like Xenu) as just that.


Liberals never test their beliefs for delusion the way they dismiss others (like Bush's) as just that.
 
Liberals never test their beliefs for delusion the way they dismiss others (like Bush's) as just that.

Now, you are doing what Beth does. You are pretending that an abstraction or opinion or ideal is the same as god because they both are "invisible". But the god most people believe in is "real" not "conceptual". Some people say "god is love"... in which case, that god exists as much as love does; I just don't call it god. But when you refer to god, you are doing what Tom Cruise would do in referring to Xenu... or what those who believe some psychics are "real psychics" are doing.

You are playing word games with yourself in order to make you immeasurable god on par with an abstraction. Do you consider your god an abstraction... that is, "not real" absent human thought? I do. Opinions about Bush's politics don't exist absent the human mind. Is that what you are saying your god is? If so, then I think we agree.
 
Moby was rude to her. Of course, he correctly stated that this did not effect the quality of his arguments. Beth, being a poor, emotionally frail theist, choose to put him on ignore instead of deal with the hassle. I would have advised her to do that, if she had asked me since there are at least four of you here to make the same arguments on his behalf.

It is in fact possible to be terribly rude to a woo of any kind Articullet. You do it the same way you would if you wanted to be rude to a real person.

It may sometimes be appropriate. Even pretending Beth's posts were all deeply flawed it is hard to see how patiently attempting civil discussion justifies that kind of treatment, though.

Again... you are confusing opinion for fact. You and Beth are avoiding saying that you believe in your god because you don't think you can be fooled like other people who believe things you find woo-ish. But instead of saying that, you dance around the subject and pretend that others are being rude.

I would like a reason to believe that you guys are saying something... I've spent my whole life listening for a reason... I wanted to believe that somebody somewhere must know something when they believed in all this nebulous crazy "divine" stuff... but they all are just angry like you that anyone would even question whatever nebulous thing they feel proud for believing in (but don't really say.)
 
All beliefs are true. If one believes something, then one truly believes something.

The question to be asked, is whether or not these beliefs are related in some way, to an actual truth.

A belief is a belief, but still it is not directly connected to a truth, thus it is just a belief, thus it is not the truth. It may point you toward a truth, but you still have to move from your current location to get to the truth, and thus reach a completeness rather than remaining with the incompleteness of a belief.

Most people are happy with beliefs, and thus most people do not venture far enough to reach the actual truths, nor are they interested in truths since they are satisfied with less than truths, meaning being satisfied with beliefs.

If one is happy with beliefs, and one happens to believe in something that does not agree with the actual truth, then if the actual truth is presented to such a person, they will spit at it, for they are happy with less than truth.
 
:rolleyes: These are artificial human constructs that do not correspond to any object in objective reality.
Well, they certainly don't correspond to any object in objective reality, which is why I used them as an analogy. Whether they are artificial human constructs or whether they might exist in minds other than human ones is the key question.

Do other apes think about concepts like justice and mercy? Might aliens on another planet? If so, can they not be said to be part of our shared reality that exists even when we stop believing in them?

I'm no more sure of the answers to those questions than I am of whether a creator god exists outside of human minds. That you, and others, are certain that the answer is "no" to all of them is not a convincing argument to me. It seems to me these questions are unanswerable by us at this time, so I must content myself with merely acknowledging my lack of knowledge regarding the existance of such intangible ideals outside of human minds to think of them.
BTW: Mobyseven sends you his love.
How sweet of you to pass the sentiment on.
 
Again... you are confusing opinion for fact. . . . but they all are just angry like you that anyone would even question whatever nebulous thing they feel proud for believing in (but don't really say.)

I feel like Charlie Brown replying to these posts, and can't help thinking we are headed for "abandon all hope" with this theme. To be clear, I don't think rudeness is a hanging offense. At the same time, I'm a grown up. I'm capable of distinguishing the wheat from the snarkiness in a heated debate.

The snarkiness doesn't add anything to either side of an argument (possibly a certain style, if properly kept in check). My quarrel with you is the extent to which you're apparently willing to attribute flawed inner qualities to whole classes of people, based on your omniscient understanding of what they "must" be feeling. I think it's creepy, frankly.


Now, you are doing what Beth does. [/qoute]

I'm a lefty lib. What I'm (snarkily) doing in that post is calling attention to the style of "argument" you keep indulging (along side other, interesting and reasonable points, for goodness sake!). It's in the same key as arguments made by people I assume you respect as little as I do. It does piss me off, but it doesn't command my attention or respect. You'll notice that the remark I parodied it is not a question.

articullet said:
Do you consider your god an abstraction... that is, "not real" absent human thought? I do. Opinions about Bush's politics don't exist absent the human mind. Is that what you are saying your god is? If so, then I think we agree.

I'll have to think about this. I think the answer to your question is "no", though. I don't concede that language, culture, politics, government, god, money, fairness what have you are "not real absent human thought" in any meaningful way.

At the same time, I am certain that not every element in the mix of my religious practices and beliefs is correct. I just have no method of seperating out the key functional parts yet. The best I can do is continue to test whether any of the elements are harmful against my best judgment.

I don't think your analogy clarifies the position, though. We aren't talking about whether opinions about god's existence are real, we are talking about whether god is real, or more accurately whether a particular opinion about god's existence is reasonable.

ETA would you say a pulley is not real absent human thought? Maybe I can say I think my religion, including god beliefs : god :: pulley : principles of leverage.
 
Last edited:
Well, they certainly don't correspond to any object in objective reality, which is why I used them as an analogy. Whether they are artificial human constructs or whether they might exist in minds other than human ones is the key question.

Do other apes think about concepts like justice and mercy? Might aliens on another planet? If so, can they not be said to be part of our shared reality that exists even when we stop believing in them?

I'm no more sure of the answers to those questions than I am of whether a creator god exists outside of human minds. That you, and others, are certain that the answer is "no" to all of them is not a convincing argument to me. It seems to me these questions are unanswerable by us at this time, so I must content myself with merely acknowledging my lack of knowledge regarding the existance of such intangible ideals outside of human minds to think of them.
How sweet of you to pass the sentiment on.

I think this is very well said.
 
We aren't talking about whether opinions about god's existence are real, we are talking about whether god is real, or more accurately whether a particular opinion about god's existence is reasonable.

From my vantage point, that area of the discussion has been addressed.
Perhaps you can expand on that versus concentrating on the personal impugnment.
 
Cute but silly. You didn't use any latin and you know as well as I do who originally got all hot and bothered about the taxonomy of logic.

So Ad Populum is not latin? You continue to enlighten me;) Anyway you're the one trying to float appeal to the masses out there, not me.

Pat but unjustified. We know a lot about the mechanism of tobacco addiction. The idea that religion is some sort of psychic addiction is a largely untested hypothesis. Fun to chant, though.

Did you really just try to strawman me by claiming I made a woo claim about anything psychic? Yes you did! Good for you, you fit right in with the theists here.

Of course you will crawdad by claiming you meant psychic in the psychological sense, but don't worry I'm sure you will be awarded your strawman merit badge all the same.

Religion can do some of these things. Of course, it's quite possible to do them without religion. These are themes in the literature dating back to Voltaire. When was the last time you tested them against reality?

My whole life since I was a teen shows the reality is fine. Most people here show the reality is fine. I assume you are here because of that fact that there is a growing number of people willing to admit to atheism.

1. We have evidence based medicine now. Very few people walk around obsessing about death. Yet religion persists.

Did people ever walk around obsessing about death? WTF are you talking about?

But people do fear death and people do die in horrible pain. Everyone dies. Very few people want to. The only thing that changes is we have a lot more time to think about it once death darkens our door. Hence religion.

2. Personal responsibility has been a constant theme in at least some protestant sects since Martin Luther. Check out some 19th century theologians, to gauge the timeliness of your complaint.

I'm not complaining, I'm observing. Morality does not require religion, and I posit is impeded by it. Just as being handed a calculator impedes your ability to do long division, and more importantly you are obliged to take it on faith the calculator is giving you the correct answer.

3. TV/internet is the new opiate of the masses, don't you read Calvin and Hobbes?

Talk to me when the NBC Jihad starts. Until then I will simply observe no jihads or purges or crusades have been justified by TV. (tho it is definitely used as a propaganda tool of religion)

Religion does lots of things. Different religions even do different things. As mentioned earlier, I can't give you a complete list, because it falls into areas (social dynamics, identity, psychology, etc) that haven't been very well analyzed yet.

Yet you make morally certain claims.

Some of the obvious ones: fosters and creates conditions for various types of relationships; teaches various emotional processes (efficacy open to ordinary judgment), provides a tested moral framework etc.

Tested and failed. Ever had a gay friend beat up for that simple fact? I have.

Since I was talking about making distinctions based on judgment (a point which you, like so many others ignore) I didn't so much omit the violent ones as I did judge and choose the helpful ones. The Westboro folks aren't my co-religionists any more than the Jain are. It's an entirely different conception of God. I have no trouble distinguishing between sects on the basis of the practioner's acts, and hold mine to the same standard.

Yet you defend religion in broad terms, not just your own. If you made a case for your own I'd be interested to read it.

Allow me to translate from philosobable: Stawman. Paying attention to inner experience is not necessarily equivalent to disregarding the rules of objective evidence. Seriously, you just need to be clear about how conflicts get resolved.

Wow, you accuse of strawman while doing it. I didn't say that. You even quote it THEN mischaracterize it, lol. Brazen.

Moving on. Are you going to assert that inner experience is not subject to external manipulation? Because that was my point. When you become accustomed to faith as a valid mental process you do internalize the doctrine. It's unavoidable. Once you're on that path your ability to distinguish right from wrong is compromised by degrees. You may think you will never get past some magical line that you would somehow magically be able to tell when your 'inner experience' was telling you things that you would have previously considered abhorrent, and who knows, maybe you have that facility, tho I am not sure how it would work. What we do know is that most people do not have this facility. They believe, with certainty, whatever crap the religion they were indoctrinated told them.

Sometimes, you might. I leave construction of the hypothetical as an exercise to the reader.

I would have to go with evidence over impossible to prove promises as a model for social interaction. I can imagine exceptions but that's a long way from thinking that in general it's a good idea for religions in general to appeal to credulity.

In any event, the question of faith hasn't been raised by anyone but the atheists. In my view the important battle is to properly circumscribe its scope (or magisterium if you will, thanks JREF for the new vocab).

Of course why would a theist bring it up? If you're here at all you know the idea faith is not an error cause is something many people here are skeptical of.

Certainly I agree faith should be circumscribed. Then circumcised then castrated;)

Seriously I do recognize faith has been used to motivate people to good. But it's not required to do good. Faith has been used to motivate people to do evil, and that evil could not have been accomplished otherwise.

On reflection, I feel you may be bringing a personal perspective to this question that I don't yet understand. In any event ennobling faith over reason would seem to be an epistomological choice, so the use of the word "completely" appears a little reflexive.

No completely was used because you were completely wrong:)

Allow me to remind you of your position:

The only possible equivalence between Co$ and e.g. liberal Presbyterians is in the area of epistomology.

(emphasis mine)

The very obvious common thread is faith. That's the common factor of religion.

More to the point, I have specifically argued that a denomination's attitude toward faith is the litmus test for reasonableness. I and many others would say that faith has to be subordinate in the areas where our best epistomological methods have produced results.

That's certainly a step, but why stop there?

I'll tell you why, because absent making faith a virtue, religion really has no legs. Even assuming a particular religion wasn't designed with social control in mind it's way to tempting to abuse the power provided by the faith consumer. The promise of immortality or freedom from existential responsibility is the foot in the door. "I have the answers!" If you would say that any religion that goes beyond these (relatively) harmless sort of emotional sops then we might find room to agree. Though you won't like the fact I recognize them for what they are:D

But religions, all to often, don't stop there. Certainly there are socially 'polite' religions that do stop there. Really those aren't the main problem from a sociological perspective. From a human perspective although it does make me sad that people willingly befuddle and delude themselves but oh well. Even spoonfed morality can be relatively benign, but jeepers it's SO susceptible to abuse.
 
Last edited:
....
SkG and various neurologists have suggested that our moral sense is the result of the fact that we are hard wired with an emotional "grammar" to help us navigate group dynamics. There is evidence that we can influence the shape and scope of those feelings.

I think (but can't prove) that has almost always been one of the functions of religion. If that's right, then the appropriate god beliefs may very well foster certain qualities of mercy or justice that wouldn't necessarily arise without an equivalent stimulus.
Could you summarize some more examples of "god beliefs may very well foster certain qualities of mercy or justice"? I gave one, a criminal finds God and turns their life around. That's not exactly a major function of religion. It's more of a, "once in a great while religion helps a person change moral behavior".

And for everyone of those examples there are tens of thousands of examples of a Jerry Falwell condemning people for being born gay or a Pat Robertson condemning some abortion doctor while taking church donations to buy equipment for his diamond mine in a country where the diamond trade is responsible for some of the worst atrocities one could imagine like hacking off the limbs of children with machetes.

Church charities often have the underlying goal of converting people to Christianity rather than simply offering charity. In Africa and for that matter, all over the world, you have the religious imposition of "abstinence only" programs imposed on groups working to prevent HIV-AIDS when the evidence clearly shows those programs are a waste of resources, and worse, you have religious pressure limiting family planning because believers want to impose their white middle class America 'values' on poverty stricken powerless women who cannot "just say no" so they are forced to have too many children, who often end up as orphans in a system that cannot care for them ..... the list is endless for the incredible immoral crap that believers are currently imposing on people who the believers have no clue what the results of their beliefs and actions have on millions of women and children in the world.

Are you one of those believers, epeos? Believing in your narrow little world view, never having been to a third world country, never seen what a stupid idea it is to tell a woman who can either be a sex worker or starve they should "just say no", never seen a wall in a church covered with a gold plated shrine built from church donations given by those impoverished but indoctrinated town's people, never seen the wealth in the basement under the Vatican full of priceless treasure kept there for the enjoyment of the church elite, I guess, ...

And I haven't even gotten to atrocities like the Crusades.

Do you think it is possible you see what you want to see and disregard the rest?
 
...
Do other apes think about concepts like justice and mercy?
Actually, there is pretty clear evidence they do.

Scientist Finds the Beginnings of Morality in Primate Behavior
Some animals are surprisingly sensitive to the plight of others. Chimpanzees, who cannot swim, have drowned in zoo moats trying to save others. Given the chance to get food by pulling a chain that would also deliver an electric shock to a companion, rhesus monkeys will starve themselves for several days....

all social animals have had to constrain or alter their behavior in various ways for group living to be worthwhile. These constraints, evident in monkeys and even more so in chimpanzees, are part of human inheritance, too, and in his view form the set of behaviors from which human morality has been shaped....

...human morality would be impossible without certain emotional building blocks that are clearly at work in chimp and monkey societies.


As for tying religion in here, the researcher whom the article is about has the following view.
Religion can be seen as another special ingredient of human societies, though one that emerged thousands of years after morality, in Dr. de Waal’s view. There are clear precursors of morality in nonhuman primates, but no precursors of religion. So it seems reasonable to assume that as humans evolved away from chimps, morality emerged first, followed by religion. “I look at religions as recent additions,” he said. “Their function may have to do with social life, and enforcement of rules and giving a narrative to them, which is what religions really do.”

As Dr. de Waal sees it, human morality may be severely limited by having evolved as a way of banding together against adversaries, with moral restraints being observed only toward the in group, not toward outsiders. “The profound irony is that our noblest achievement — morality — has evolutionary ties to our basest behavior — warfare,” he writes. “The sense of community required by the former was provided by the latter.”
 
Last edited:
...

1. We have evidence based medicine now. Very few people walk around obsessing about death. Yet religion persists.
This is a bizarre statement. Because we can extend some peoples' lives, no one worries about death?


...Religion does lots of things. Different religions even do different things. As mentioned earlier, I can't give you a complete list, because it falls into areas (social dynamics, identity, psychology, etc) that haven't been very well analyzed yet. Some of the obvious ones: fosters and creates conditions for various types of relationships; teaches various emotional processes (efficacy open to ordinary judgment), provides a tested moral framework etc.
The article I linked to in the above post addresses this. Religion evolved out of social rules, social rules evolved out of living in groups. I think there is substantial evidence religions served as the first framework and set of laws before nations and other political group rules evolved, or they co-evolved. At some point political laws and religious laws separated. The leaders of these two types of societal organizations have cooperated and/or battled for control ever since.
 
Last edited:
She doesn't like the message, so she considers the messenger (you) rude.

All woos think those who don't "respect" their woo are rude.
To be fair, they had a tiff, words were spoken. I respect Beth's preference to ignore Moby rather than to continue fighting. I've gotten to the point with a couple people where I've said, why on Earth am I putting up with this? and put them on ignore. It happens.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom