• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

So you're an atheist. Ok, what next?

well, you'll be familiar with the genius idea of the 'selfish gene'.. and if there's no objective morality what is stopping someone who believes in that kind of materialist theology coming along and encouraging all men to be serial rapists?

remember, if there's no objective morality, that system is exactly equally as 'good' as any other.
I'm afraid you're confusing the argument of subjective morality with relativism.
 
Plum, you still have to define "intuition", in order to know what it is exactly, so we can measure it and appreciate it.

jeez, the record has stuck.

test it in your own experience... think of a paedophile raping and killing a child, .. that feeling inside of you which tells you that his actions are wrong, that is your moral intuition.
It really isn't difficult.
 
jeez, the record has stuck.

test it in your own experience... think of a paedophile raping and killing a child, .. that feeling inside of you which tells you that his actions are wrong, that is your moral intuition.
It really isn't difficult.

Allright.

Now think about gay marriage. What does your moral compass tell you?
 
jeez, the record has stuck.

test it in your own experience... think of a paedophile raping and killing a child, .. that feeling inside of you which tells you that his actions are wrong, that is your moral intuition.
It really isn't difficult.

Ahhh now you're preaching subjective morality. I thought you were against this?
 
Ahhh now you're preaching subjective morality. I thought you were against this?

I've explained this at least twice already.
Your visual perception is likewise an internal experience referring to 'objective external truths'. Moral intuition is like that too.
 
I've explained this at least twice already.
Your visual perception is likewise an internal experience referring to 'objective external truths'. Moral intuition is like that too.

And what exactly are these 'objective external truths' and how do you know them to be 'objective external truths'? Explain your methodology.
 
I base exclusive materialism on evidence which concludes a truth about our universe. So therefore it's due to truth.

and which moral truths does exclusive materialism cast light upon? what kind of evidence can exclusive materialism present for, for example, telling us that racism is morally wrong?
 
I won't be answering the question due to it containing false embedded assumptions.
It's funny you should say that, because remember post #125? Here, I'll repeat some of it for you.
The origins of morality are complex, but they are not the exclusive domain of theists, no matter how much your faith requires it to be true. It appears that this is your fundamental assumption. You are essentially making the circular argument that theists tend to be more moral than atheists because morality derives from a belief in god.

The whole premise of your contention is based on a false embedded assumption. If you release the assumption that morality derives from God, then your whole argument collapses like a house of cards.
 
and which moral truths does exclusive materialism cast light upon? what kind of evidence can exclusive materialism present for, for example, telling us that racism is morally wrong?

That we're all from the same race, homo sapiens? Just a guess.
 
and which moral truths does exclusive materialism cast light upon?
Didn't I just get done explaining that there is no objective morality?

what kind of evidence can exclusive materialism present for, for example, telling us that racism is morally wrong?

The fact that there is no biological evidence which concludes that there are inferior races should tell you that racism is a flawed ideology.
 
And what exactly are these 'objective external truths'
for example, raping then murdering a child purely for fun is morally wrong.. there you go, an objective moral truth


and how do you know them to be 'objective external truths'? Explain your methodology.
like I've said at least a dozen times, by cultivating and examining your individual moral conscience.
you know how it's done too; you do it dozens of times a day.. just like I don't need to explain to you a methodology for looking at a chair I don't need to explain to you how to examine your conscience.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom