Herzblut
Master Poster
- Joined
- Sep 29, 2006
- Messages
- 2,234
Emotions select what you believe, think, remember.Beliefs and emotions are two different things.
Emotions select what you believe, think, remember.Beliefs and emotions are two different things.
I can examine through science how moral choices developed. If one then identifies what outcome the moral choice is based on, I can measure objectively which option will result in a better outcome.
Do you treat people fairly because you are afraid of going to hell? I treat them fairly because I grew up with that concept. Not everyone does. Some people grow up to be thieves. Why does someone think it is OK to steal and someone else not think it is OK? Certainly both of those people could be atheists and it is no guarantee being a theist will stop you from being a thief.
Now could you please take this to another thread?
Because it's practical and useful.All you are doing by this discussion of evidence and morality is avoiding discussing why you dismiss some god beliefs and not others.
It adds unnecessary potential confusion to include multiple brands of "god" into your worldview. That's why it's useful to dismiss all brands but one.I don't get your comment, Herz. Could you elaborate?
It adds unnecessary potential confusion to include multiple brands of "god" into your worldview. That's why it's useful to dismiss all brands but one.
If you have some evidence to discuss, the discussion would be pertinent. I see no request for only empirical evidence in my OP. All you are doing by this discussion of evidence and morality is avoiding discussing why you dismiss some god beliefs and not others.
Equally, why do you dismiss some moral beliefs and not others?
You do so for the same reasons that theists have been attempting to explain to you they use vis-a-vis Gods.
From inner experience.
You may like to call it conscience, intuition.. or such like... something feels right or wrong.
Why is it, then, that atheists are willing to accept the value of inner experience when it comes to morality, but when it's a question of religion inner experience is attacked and ruled out as invalid, just 'subjective'. ?
This is a central inconsistency in their whole argument. And, in my opinion, a fatal one.
So stretching your rambling here into some semblance of an answer to the OP, you are saying that Pe'le and Zeus are immoral gods and the god(s) you believe in are moral?
I know nothing about Pe'le (wasn't he the Brazilian God of overhead kicks?), and little about Zeus. Whether they existed as real deities, or were moral or not, I don't know either.
Perhaps God manifested them to some people at some particular point in history, for his own reasons which I'm not aware of.
Maybe they were mythological figures created by some creative individual at the time, as an attempt to allegorically explain certain aspects of reality.
Whichever is the case has no bearing whatsoever on whether God does or does not exist.
If it makes you feel better, fine.It seems to me either you chose your god-beliefs totally at random, or there is in fact some reason other than this "practicality" involved in your decision to choose your particular god-beliefs.
I don't subscribe to that 'morals come from magical thoughts' scenario. My morals are the result of cultural and genetic evolution over time as a group dependent species. And the cultural genetic evolution model explains immorality as well. A number of animal species have cooperating behaviors and aggressively behaving members with success due to different strategies.Equally, why do you dismiss some moral beliefs and not others?
You do so for the same reasons that theists have been attempting to explain to you they use vis-a-vis Gods.
From inner experience.
You may like to call it conscience, intuition.. or such like... something feels right or wrong.
Why is it, then, that atheists are willing to accept the value of inner experience when it comes to morality, but when it's a question of religion inner experience is attacked and ruled out as invalid, just 'subjective'. ?
This is a central inconsistency in their whole argument. And, in my opinion, a fatal one.
So you do see some god beliefs as possibly, "mythological figures created by some creative individual at the time, as an attempt to allegorically explain certain aspects of reality."I know nothing about Pe'le (wasn't he the Brazilian God of overhead kicks?), and little about Zeus. Whether they existed as real deities, or were moral or not, I don't know either.
Perhaps God manifested them to some people at some particular point in history, for his own reasons which I'm not aware of.
Maybe they were mythological figures created by some creative individual at the time, as an attempt to allegorically explain certain aspects of reality.
Whichever is the case has no bearing whatsoever on whether God does or does not exist.
A scenario of your own, invented in order to easily dismiss.I don't subscribe to that 'morals come from magical thoughts' scenario.
My morals are the result of cultural and genetic evolution over time as a group dependent species. And the cultural genetic evolution model explains immorality as well. A number of animal species have cooperating behaviors and aggressively behaving members with success due to different strategies.
There are nature and nurture components of behavior which are well understood and other components which while not completely understood, the general mechanisms involved are understood. Surely you have heard of Phineas Gage? We have learned a lot about the physical aspects of the brain and its affect on behavior from accidental injuries to the brain. There are emotional injuries such as detachment disorder, there are chemical injuries like fetal alcohol syndrome which affect behavior. Criminal behavior can sometimes be predicted by certain behavior in childhood, for example cruelty to animals as a child predicts criminal behavior as an adult.
So like I said, I don't believe morals are the result of an unknowable magic force. They result from evolution, nature and nurture.
Yes, possibly... depending on lots of factors.So you do see some god beliefs as possibly, "mythological figures created by some creative individual at the time, as an attempt to allegorically explain certain aspects of reality."
And then there is your 'other' god belief, all god beliefs (except those mythological figures) are different versions of the same god, something like that?
So you have a skeptical explanation for some god beliefs that you do not apply to all god beliefs. But you can't quite articulate why all god beliefs are not, "mythological figures created by some creative individual at the time, as an attempt to allegorically explain certain aspects of reality."
Is that right?
First, just an FYI, anecdotal evidence is very useful WHEN it is collected systematically and proper controls are used to get evidence of the variable specifically being examined. Any research that relies on asking survey questions and many retrospective data collection studies involve anecdotal evidence.
As to your other statement, however, religion is never a reasonable tool in science. You will have to give me an example because I don't understand what you think such a tool provides.
Is it your position that they are all equally invalid?
To answer the question you are asking, I'd say that from the personal point of view, yes, if a given religion fits the person and works for them as a philosophical framework from which to approach life, and the matters of each person's inner life, their spiritual component of life, then pick one that suits you, or, pick something else (as a framework that isn't a religion) that suits you and your life.
Watch carefully: no. What I don't bother doing, and it is related to the OP, is spending time trying to disprove them to those who do.
Into unbelief? I don't think anything at this point.I was curious if my other threads would give me some interesting insight into that. I'm now convinvced that if I abandoned every single belief and ignored every reason I have them I'd be a Diest.
Into another religion? I suppose if they had a God that was bigger than mine is already I might be interested in learning more. I don't want to bother with any idea of God that's less.
Can you cite any genuine spiritual personalities who have argued the inherent inferiority of women?
Can one be called a skeptic if one practices skepticism in all arenas except one? I feel that there is justification for the answer to be "yes".
Since I started as an agnostic, what the hell are you talking about?
Well it wouldn't prove the existence of god or be evidence of miracles unless you could control for other variables. But I think that is the reason, rather than systematically collected anecdotes not being useful to establish the existence of something.Also, systematic collection of anecdotes is useful if you want to know what people think. Not so useful if you're actually trying to establish the existence of something.
I don't know. I heard a number of people remark that if they were to see and/or speak with a leprechaun, they wouldn't believe in leprechauns. Instead they would believe they were hallucinating.