I've been wanting to get back to this thread to post regarding Thomas Jefferson and his work in 1776 on a proposed seal for the United States, which was a topic earlier in this thread. I'm running miles behind, as usual, but will return here with that eventually. But in the meantime, I think I can help regarding the question of Misty Newberry.
I'm a little surprised there is virtually nothing about this available on-line. However, I am fairly sure this is an actual person and an actual incident. I recall reading about this at the time it occurred, and I probably have some clippings or newsletters related to it (stored away in some box where I am unlikely to be able to find them any time this decade).
So I sent an e-mail to
the Rutherford Institute asking if they had been involved in the case and if they had any information on it. They sent me back a speedy reply, including 4 documents related to the matter.
One of the documents was the transcript of Henderson's testimony, which has already been linked to in this thread. One was a transcript of Congressional testomony by Jay Sekulow. And one was a transcript for the July 14 1995 CNN program Talk Back Live, for which James Henderson was one of the participants. Congressional testimony and talk show appearances are notoriously unreliable as sources, and these are good examples of that. I'll come back to these items and elaborate on that in my next post.
It was the remaining item which contained what I was interested in:
a newspaper clipping related to the matter. From the clipping, it becomes apparent why there is so little available about this matter on-line. There is no arrest record because Newberry was never arrested. There is no court record, because the matter never went to court. The proceeding at which Henderson represented Newberry was a local school board meeting. (In saying that, I am not trying to be dismissive of the incident. It was a newsworthy incident, and one which I think is worth knowing about.)
The newspaper clipping is listed as being from the St. Petersburg Times (Florida) for September 28, 1991. But it likely appeared in many other newspapers as well; it's one of a number of short items of religious news gathered from around the country for use in various newspapers' religion section.
Praying high school students dispersed by police
An Illinois school board has apologized for an incident in which six high school students were dispersed by police and two students were temporarily detained for taking part in a prayer rally around the school flagpole.
The Sept. 11 incident at Massac County High School in Metropolis, Ill., was filmed on videotape by the grandmother of Misty Newberry, one of the two students taken into custody by police. The police locked the students in the back of a police cruiser while they conferred with Principal Sidney R. Sexton.
Christian Advocates Serving Evangelism (CASE), which represented Newberry at a school board meeting Monday night, said a police officer had warned the two detained students that if they attempted another such prayer gathering they would be arrested and charged. Sexton also called all the praying students into his office, where he lectured them about the dangers of riots and other demonstrations.
At its meeting, the local school board said it would adopt policies to insure that students are permitted to gather voluntarily for student-led prayer at the school.
"This is complete vindication for Misty Newberry and her fellow students," said Jay Sekulow, chief counsel for CASE in Washington. "We appreciate the board's forthright and clear admission of error. Now we plan to complete this task by turning our attention to the conduct of the Metropolis police in this matter."
A quick comment to clarify something. This clipping mentions CASE instead of ACLJ. That's not an error. CASE and ACLJ were among the various hats which Sekulow wore somewhat interchangeably during the early 1990s. There were several other sets of initials he also used, but my memory isn't good enough to recall them at the moment.
Another quick comment. Note that the date on the clipping is given as September 28, 1991. I was surprised by that because in searching for it I had been looking for something from 1992 -- the year Henderson claimed the incident occurred in his
prepared testimony to Congress.
Could the Rutherford Institute have accidentally misdated the clipping? That thought occurred to me. But I was able to satisfy myself that was not the case. You see, there are 4 other stories which were included in the document they sent me (because all 5 items were part of a weekly roundup of religious news), and it was possible to confirm that several of the other items seemed clearly to be from September 1991.