Naw, done enough interviews for the day. See my agent for other booking times.Explain what you think is so great about moral subjectivism and so horrible about moral relativism.
Naw, done enough interviews for the day. See my agent for other booking times.Explain what you think is so great about moral subjectivism and so horrible about moral relativism.
Naw, done enough interviews for the day. See my agent for other booking times.
To this:This article from today's paper made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd link to it for the perspective of a child whose pictures appear in 80% of kiddie porn collections![]()
http://www.thestar.com/article/169555
http://www.thestar.com/article/169557
Unless, of course, you happen to agree with me.I think there are also defensible arguments for saying that criminalising such possession or distribution is a bad idea.
Unless, of course, you happen to agree with me.
Another false abstraction: "downloading a picture of a crime"! This is not exactly what is happening in this case. The poor girl is not talking about somebody downloading photos of the Kennedy assassination or films from a surveillance camera of somebody shoplifting.
She is talking about paedophiles downloading fotos of her being sexually abused with the intention of whacking off to these fotos! She is talking about people who get turned on by watching the humiliation that she was exposed to for several years as a helpless child, about people who use that as pornography.
Why do you have this need to abstract from what is actually going on? And why does it upset you so that one disgusting act may not be "morally equivalent" to another one?
And why do you have to make yet another abstraction from what this case is actually about?
"... pictures of other people ..."!!! Are you actually unable to make the distinction or are you just being silly? Are you actually unable to distinguish between kiddie porn and a photo of somebody who did not look his best that day and therefore does not want the photo distributed?
Aren't you even able to see the distortions of the facts you have to make in order to present the case as an example where "criminalising such possession or distribution is a bad idea."? Is there no length you won't go to in your pursuit of presenting the "possession or distribution" of child pornography as something that "there are also defensible (!) arguments for"?
Tsk. A general dictionary. Try using the more specialised and more specific one I provided you instead. If it is not yet clear for you, I am saying you confuse terms; therefore, use exact definitions from the specialised source I gave you.Well, here is my understanding, from a fairly standard dictionary of words:
(American Heritage Dictionary)
You obviously didn't read that one well. Try again? Succint enough, I hope. It mentioned specifically subjectivism, in the first lines yet.EFETA: The last article isn't much about either, but about "cognativism vs. non-cognativism", and seems to conclude that there really isn't much difference at all.
First off, I'd dispute that many people claim to get their morality from a god. As far as I'm aware, the ten commandments are pretty out of vogue these days. Secondly, moral relativism isn't the problem as much as insistence on it being rigidly applied to all situations.For most people who decry moral relativity there is a source for their absolute morality. Most of the time this is some god or another. As you proudly disavow all gods as well, I'm wondering where you get yours.
See above. Playing rugby has exactly the same to do with morality as atheism; zero.No, they aren't.
"s not [let every man do as he will, and be ready to accept the consequences] a morally relativistic position?"
"...[W]hich of these [brands of totalitarianism] do you particularly favour over "moral relativism"?"
""Until that unhappy point" [when the fascists ultimately take over, which Hammy can somehow mystically forsee], we are a nation and culture of laws, yes? So how are [discussions of legality and morality] meaningless?"
That's obviously untrue. The first mention of subjectivism is in paragraph 1.3, hardly the first lines. And it deals only with a specific kind of subjectivism: cognitive subjectivism.It mentioned specifically subjectivism, in the first lines yet.
You did not need to make this response anyway, but you did.Second question first. I'm not "upset", although you seem to be, I'm pointing out that the claim advanced by Masha Allen's statement that they are equivalent is silly. If the statement had not made that silly claim of equivalence I would not have needed to make that fairly obvious response.Another false abstraction: "downloading a picture of a crime"! This is not exactly what is happening in this case. The poor girl is not talking about somebody downloading photos of the Kennedy assassination or films from a surveillance camera of somebody shoplifting.
She is talking about paedophiles downloading fotos of her being sexually abused with the intention of whacking off to these fotos! She is talking about people who get turned on by watching the humiliation that she was exposed to for several years as a helpless child, about people who use that as pornography.
Why do you have this need to abstract from what is actually going on? And why does it upset you so that one disgusting act may not be "morally equivalent" to another one?
Nice trick, but like your false abstractions it is too obvious. The victim of a very disgusting case of sexual abuse of children states that she feels violated when paedophiles download photos of her abuse, which, apparently, happens every time paedophiles exchange child porn on the net. You now turn that into the (only) case against child porn (“Secondly”). And you repeat your false abstraction from your previous post and makes her example simply a question of ‘people feeling bad’ about a photo in circulation. (That you know that some people do indeed feel very bad about this is rather interesting.):First question second. If the reason why child pornography is bad is that those who were sexually abused in the creation of child pornography feel bad if pictures of that abuse are in circulation two things follow.
You continue:Firstly, that other photos which are in circulation that make people feel bad are also up for criminalisation (unless you are going to indulge in blatant special pleading, which you probably are). Secondly, that child pornography that is not a record of actual sexual abuse is okay, because nobody feels bad because it is in circulation.
You abstract from a case of sexual abuse of a child being photographed and the photos used as child pornography (The previous fourteen words are an abstraction from a particular case. However, they are not a false abstraction like yours!) and turn it into a question of people who simply don’t like photos of themselves being circulated on the internet. This abstraction is not necessary to remove the danger of engaging ”in emotional rhetoric and special pleading”. You, however, appear to find it necessary to do so – apparently because you have to abstract from sexual abuse of children and child porn in order to defend them!Because if we need to engage in emotional rhetoric and special pleading to make our case sound plausible we have a bad case. It's that simple.And why do you have to make yet another abstraction from what this case is actually about?
I don’t hide behind rhetorical questions, Kevin, and I don’t wallow in special pleading, but I can see why it may seem so to somebody who hides behind false abstractions from what this is all about: sexual abuse of children and child pornography.That paragraph is a good example. You hide behind a string of rhetorical questions while assuming all sorts of silly things about my position, and completely fail to make any clear point."... pictures of other people ..."!!! Are you actually unable to make the distinction or are you just being silly? Are you actually unable to distinguish between kiddie porn and a photo of somebody who did not look his best that day and therefore does not want the photo distributed?
Aren't you even able to see the distortions of the facts you have to make in order to present the case as an example where "criminalising such possession or distribution is a bad idea."? Is there no length you won't go to in your pursuit of presenting the "possession or distribution" of child pornography as something that "there are also defensible (!) arguments for"?
Here's a challenge for you. Explain to us using simple, precise, unemotional statements what your point is. Don't hide behind rhetorical questions, don't wallow in special pleading, don't substitute emotional appeals for evidence. Don't assume you are correct and then ask everyone else to prove otherwise, show that the position you are taking is correct if you can do so.
I think if you try to do that you'll discover the problems with your position on your own, but I would be more than happy to be proved wrong .
You are correct. My apologies to Piscivore; I confused two different references, only one of which I gave.That's obviously untrue. The first mention of subjectivism is in
Moral subjectivism leads directly from cognitive subjectivism; the recognition that all such standards and morals are individually and/or intrasubjectively perceived and created, and that therefore moral statements cannot have truth values.. And it deals only with a specific kind of subjectivism: cognitive subjectivism.
You did not need to make this response anyway, but you did.
Nice trick, but like your false abstractions it is too obvious. The victim of a very disgusting case of sexual abuse of children states that she feels violated when paedophiles download photos of her abuse, which, apparently, happens every time paedophiles exchange child porn on the net. You now turn that into the (only) case against child porn (“Secondly”).
And you repeat your false abstraction from your previous post and makes her example simply a question of ‘people feeling bad’ about a photo in circulation. (That you know that some people do indeed feel very bad about this is rather interesting.):
You continue:
You abstract from a case of sexual abuse of a child being photographed and the photos used as child pornography (The previous fourteen words are an abstraction from a particular case. However, they are not a false abstraction like yours!) and turn it into a question of people who simply don’t like photos of themselves being circulated on the internet. This abstraction is not necessary to remove the danger of engaging ”in emotional rhetoric and special pleading”. You, however, appear to find it necessary to do so – apparently because you have to abstract from sexual abuse of children and child porn in order to defend them!
I don’t hide behind rhetorical questions, Kevin, and I don’t wallow in special pleading, but I can see why it may seem so to somebody who hides behind false abstractions from what this is all about: sexual abuse of children and child pornography.
And you aren’t happy to be proved wrong, Kevin.
Such an assumption is illogical. Tell me which part of the "Affirmation of the consequent" fallacy do you fail to grasp? Or non sequitur?Since you have not disagreed with my response, I assume you agree with me ....
Your favourite word, huh? I suppose because of your lack of any better arguments.silly
Such an assumption is illogical. Tell me which part of the "Affirmation of the consequent" fallacy do you fail to grasp? Or non sequitur?
Your favourite word, huh? I suppose because of your lack of any better arguments.
Dann, do us a favour and don't give this preacher any more air-time; derail instead.
I think that you are right, Gurdur. When he cannot defend child abuse or child pornography as such, he tries to defend it as something else, i.e. the false abstractions. And when this is pointed out to him, he moves on to the strawman argument.
Let's derail!
I would say it's kind of obvious. That and that he uses the word "silly" so much that I feel like doing a comparative count sometimes, but lack the OCD to do so.I think that you are right, Gurdur. When he cannot defend child abuse or child pornography as such, he tries to defend it as something else, i.e. the false abstractions. And when this is pointed out to him, he moves on to the strawman argument.
Met any good nannies lately? Did Proudhon diddle any? Sound Of Music? Or how about Anna And The King Of Siam? Or how about Mary Poppins?Let's derail!
Tsk. You provided an encyclopedia. A resource that does not define, but explores in depth. If you have a specialised dictionary to share, you failed to mention it.Tsk. A general dictionary. Try using the more specialised and more specific one I provided you instead.
From your encyclopedia article:If it is not yet clear for you, I am saying you confuse terms; therefore, use exact definitions from the specialised source I gave you.
I didn't read it carefully, I scanned it. That's why I used the word "seems".You obviously didn't read that one well. Try again?
No.Succint enough, I hope.
"Non-cognitivism is a variety of irrealism about ethics with a number of influential variants. Non-cognitivists agree with error theorists that there are no moral properties or moral facts. But rather than thinking that this makes moral statements false, noncognitivists claim that moral statements are not in the business of predicating properties or making statements which could be true or false in any substantial sense. Roughly put, noncognitivists think that moral statements have no truth conditions. Furthermore, according to non-cognitivists, when people utter moral sentences they are not typically expressing states of mind which are beliefs or which are cognitive in the way that beliefs are. Rather they are expressing non-cognitive attitudes more similar to desires, approval or disapproval.It mentioned specifically subjectivism, in the first lines yet.
False dichotomy, and false.Tsk. You provided an encyclopedia. A resource that does not define, but explores in depth.
Hee hee, you cherry-picked there; you didn't give the rest of it. You really need to to do it properly."moral relativism, the view that moral truth or justification is relative to a culture or society."
Nope, still the conflation between subjectivism and relativismThis seems pretty close to my "general dictionary", isn't it?
Hammegk clearly means something else than you do; therein lies the confusion.This is clearly the way that I used the term, and the term itself was chosen (twice) by Hammy, not me. I don't see that I've suffered any confusion.
Tsk. Read it. Subjectism is the recognition of epistemological problems owing to individual perception.As for your "definitions" of Subjectivism, your first link does not address "Subjectivism in General", as advertised, but "Epistemological Problems of Perception". Tsk.
Wrong. The recognition of the epistemological problems leads directly to recognising moral statements have no truth values.That doesn't really seem to be a definition germane to morality, does it?
Bad idea.I didn't read it carefully, I scanned it.
So where is the other one?You are correct. My apologies to Piscivore; I confused two different references, only one of which I gave.
Which to me sounds surprisingly close to a relativist position, so it would really help if you could explain why you consider relativism as such a horrible thing.Moral subjectivism leads directly from cognitive subjectivism; the recognition that all such standards and morals are individually and/or intrasubjectively perceived and created, and that therefore moral statements cannot have truth values.