And if you doubt my level of expertise, go to Web extras --> Maps: Happiness levels of countries
Apparently
I
live
in
the
happiest
country
in
the
world!
(It's probably just the inhabitants who are miserable!)
Who cares which delusions Blair, Bush and their rich friends might suffer from in private? Who cares if the FBI have a machine which does not help them discover refugees hidden in a container or another one that cannot tell them who is lying or not?
Well, I know who does, but I don't ...
Well, you can all try to end the homelessness problem in the Congo by teaching the Congolese that there's no such thing as witchcraft.
I suppose it's supposed to follow that without the excuse of witchcraft, none of these kids will be "put out" (again, we're pretending here - keep up)
so the families will stay together and happy while they split their monthly pound of grain five ways instead of four, and they all become even more emaciated and susceptible to illness than they would've been, and they all end up dying sooner.
Or, we could try to feed these people, and make families healthy and self-sustaining to the point where they don't need any excuse - witchcraft or otherwise - to throw anybody out just to keep themselves alive.
We know that people in Africa and all over the world have been poor for many centuries. We hear from the Christian Science Monitor that this is the first time that they are turning the children out as witches.
If increasing poverty anywhere had the result of parents claiming their children were witches then I'm sure we would have heard. We know a lot about poverty...we know a lot about humans handle poverty...Claiming that your own children are witches is pretty rare--and you have to live in a very superstitious community for this to become the case, correct. It's pretty much unheard of--even amongst the poorest of the poor--the priest even says that it's unprecedented.
So I think it's just plain nuts to excuse the belief system for the problem. It reminds me of people who don't see religion as being implicated in the 9-11 attacks or people who don't think religious teachings had anything to do with Andrea Yates killing her kids to ensure their salvation. This blind respect for gods and religions where people can't seem to imagine that it is to blame for anything even when people vocally say exactly that (e.g."I'm getting rid of my kid because they are a witch"). I am aghast at this blindness and the way people have learned to excuse faith based atrocities or see it as having another cause.
Where else in the world is increasing poverty associated with families accusing their children of being witches? Why not blame the reason given for turning these kids out--they're families think they are witches--why? because they've been lead to believe their kids could be witches.
How you and the priest manage to blame poverty is beyond me. I think telling the folks that there is no such thing as witches might be a good start--of course a priest would never do that.
Your thinking is that of a subject of a powerful ruler: 'Since I depend on his behaviour, I have to be concerned about the expenditures, whether or not he is behaving rationally etc.', which, by the way, is the reason why we have the kind of media coverage we do: Only because people actually care about this, do we have newspapers following every little move of politicians and other ‘celebrities’, the slightest sneeze from Bush, what happened to Paris Hilton's dog or Britney's panties. They are the ones who count, we are not.Why don't you care, or is it just relatively you care fairly little? I can't imagine why you wouldn't be concerned as to which fantasies the most powerful people in the world indulge in.Who cares which delusions Blair, Bush and their rich friends might suffer from in private? Who cares if the FBI have a machine which does not help them discover refugees hidden in a container or another one that cannot tell them who is lying or not?
Well, I know who does, but I don't ...
How about this one, then?"...many of these children were living with step-parents or extended family members who no longer wanted to have to support them..."
I'm not going to deny that poverty and starvation plague much of Africa, because they do. However, this statement doesn't claim that these children couldn't be supported, ...
"A witch! A witch! Burn her, burn her!""This country is a disaster," Mr. Ifaka says. "Parents are abandoning children, and the reasons involve money and food. When we get in touch with the family, they say, 'Look, I already have children here to take care of, and you want me to take that one, too.' "
You honestly think that I ought to waste my time considering whether or not he also goes to church or if he prefers to performs satanical rituals in his back yard?
Well ...... I don't, but I don’t really think that you’ll get it. Like most of your compatriots you appear to have other concerns - and I don't mean to imply that the ones found among the subjects over here are any better ....
Sorry, my bad! I just assume that everybody here is American, which, of course, we aren't!You mean Australians, or people of similar political ideologies as me or what? I don't quite understand your point.
I don't really know if it makes much of a difference to people in the Middle East or elsewhere, but it is a good example of the way that we tend to look at politicians: as if we were talking about a kind of weather report! What can we expect in the next couple of weeks? What will we be exposed to from the powers that be, so we can take our precautions?It's important to look at not only his actions that have a direct and obvious effect, but actions which could be a precurser to future actions. If George Bush believes that a war against the middle east is necessary to begin armeggedon etc then I want to know.
You would be far better off with anthropological research than with the CSM. Such poverty-caused legitimizational beliefs are very common the world over in history.We know that people in Africa and all over the world have been poor for many centuries. We hear from the Christian Science Monitor that this is the first time that they are turning the children out as witches. So, in the past, the poverty did not make people turn out their children--they may have believed in witches but apparently they didn't think their kids could be witches.
Your argument does not follow.I think that shows that the problem is superstitious thinking more than it is poverty.
If you studied the anthropological literature on this, you would have heard.If increasing poverty anywhere had the result of parents claiming their children were witches then I'm sure we would have heard.
This is a massive strawman; you seem to be wanting to twist things to your own crusade. No-one is saying superstition is OK; so don't pretend otherwise.... This blind respect for gods and religions where people can't seem to imagine that it is to blame for anything
Children have been the victims of beliefs used to legitimize coping with abject poverty to my knowledge in the UK (see above example), China, the Polynesian islands, Australasia, India, and other places --- just the places I can think off-hand with examples. I am sure if you did a proper search of the anthropological literature you would find many more examples, again world-wide.Where else in the world is increasing poverty associated with families accusing their children of being witches?
Quite apart from you being dead wrong about that, the problem is it is largely irrelevant to the actual situation. It is no accident that malignant superstitions are very often most marked in areas of continual abject poverty.I think telling the folks that there is no such thing as witches might be a good start--of course a priest would never do that.
No, as long as they were dealing with the ordinary extent of poverty, it ‘just’ made them get rid of old people!We know that people in Africa and all over the world have been poor for many centuries. We hear from the Christian Science Monitor that this is the first time that they are turning the children out as witches. So, in the past, the poverty did not make people turn out their children-
What is it in the following quotation, already posted above, that you don’t understand?-they may have believed in witches but apparently they didn't think their kids could be witches. Now the kids are accused of being witches. I think that shows that the problem is superstitious thinking more than it is poverty.
You are actually accusing the church of focussing on poverty as the explanation, instead of on superstition? Wouldn’t it be much more in line with the way of thinking of the church Exorcism Inc. to come up with superstitious explanations, i.e. that parents and/or children have been possessed by evil spirits?CSM: Peace has brought its own challenges, as refugee families flow into the capital, Kinshasa, and find they cannot feed themselves. Out of survival, many are using witchcraft as an excuse to expel their most vulnerable members: children.
"Witchcraft has been there for a while, but it was never used against children in the past. Families that have old people used to accuse that old person of being a witch, when they were no longer productive," says Javier Aguilar, a child protection officer for the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in Kinshasa.
Great, Gurdur!
Please, articulett, read Steve Kowit's article about the Xhosa mass-suicide before you post again!
What's with the stupid strawmen?Articulett, you must know that reductionism is not allowed in this thread.
Now you are simply being ridiculous. Wassup? Can't make a decent argument?If these people were not poor, then the fact that they are human/right handed/slow-footed/grumpy/affable/dormant/etc would be to blame for the witchcraft crap.
Articulett, you must know that reductionism is not allowed in this thread. Buy a magazine article and all will be revealed!!!
How dare you disagree with dann? If these people were not poor, then the fact that they are human/right handed/slow-footed/grumpy/affable/dormant/etc would be to blame for the witchcraft crap.
Did I get that right, dann?
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Great, Gurdur!
No, as long as they were dealing with the ordinary extent of poverty, it ‘just’ made them get rid of old people!
What is it in the following quotation, already posted above, that you don’t understand?
You are actually accusing the church of focussing on poverty as the explanation, instead of on superstition? Wouldn’t it be much more in line with the way of thinking of the church Exorcism Inc. to come up with superstitious explanations, i.e. that parents and/or children have been possessed by evil spirits?
Please, articulett, read Steve Kowit's article about the Xhosa mass-suicide before you post again!
Wow. You seriously have some issues. I've seen no real argument from you at all, but a lot of emotion on this topic. Try taking a walk and clearing your head before sitting and responding in the future.
The same error keeps getting repeated by people in this thread; it is one where a single blame is required, and that being witchcraft. Remove the blame (as if it in itself is a simple thing to do), and the problem is solved.
It's ridiculous notion that carries no water. And your constant reference to reductionism is a red herring that demonstrates you have no idea what's going on.
Either offer something to discuss or go find a hobby that doesn't boil your blood so much.
Athon
I thought you always got it right! Do you really need to ask?Did I get that right, dann?
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Was and still is, Joshua. Thank you!
The "Darwinist, Dawkinsist and Randi-ist" way refers to articulett's profile. I would probably be more of a Stephen Jay Gouldist, Richard Lewontinist and Marxist myself, i.e. I don't want to put down the essence of Darwinism or Atheism. It's just that sometimes people of this persuasion appear to be more than a little right-wing biased, unable to see that conditions for poor people don't necessarily improve if they succeed in persuading them to become Social-Darwinists like themselves - and not because the poor people are inferior to the elitist skeptics in a Darwinian sense of the word.
And that is a pity since the poor people are the only relevant victims of religious superstition and thus addressees of educational work about this theme. Who cares which delusions Blair, Bush and their rich friends might suffer from in private? Who cares if the FBI have a machine which does not help them discover refugees hidden in a container or another one that cannot tell them who is lying or not?
Well, I know who does, but I don't ...
It was also bloody obvious, right from the OP.
I am amazed by some of the personal attacks and the evasions in this thread; the whole point was so easily gained, and that is immense poverty breeds self-serving justificatory "superstitions"; i.e., beliefs meant to legitimize practical actions. Therefore, in such situations, poverty is the problem rather than "superstition". Maybe some skeptics really do need to grow up, if they can't easily grasp such a simple point.
Tsk, but I forgive you. It IS possible to be in the middle.
The mistake was made when people weren't reading the OP in depth, and assumed that this was just another thread whining about how intolerant "skeptics" are. Some people, including skeptics, don't like to be accused of being intolerant. They'll admit to being so, and (often rightly) justify their intolerance by insisting that whatever it is they don't tolerate is harmful or dangerous; nevertheless, "intolerance" is a negative buzzword that nobody likes associated with them.
Of course, the OP had nothing to do with intolerance, it was about setting priorities straight - and it was correct, in my opinion.