Gravy
Downsitting Citizen
- Joined
- Mar 27, 2006
- Messages
- 17,078
Okay, details. Now, don't get too excited, because this hasn't all been approved yet. At Ground Zero on 9/11 I met three guys from my alma mater, little Franklin Pierce College, nestled scenically at the foothills of majestic Monadnock Mountain in southern New Hampshire. You know, in the frickin' boondocks.
Justin, the guy nice guy (on whom I will use my Svengali-like powers of persuasion to turn from the dark side) interviewing me in the photo, is in charge of getting guest speakers of different sorts for...guest speakings, I guess, at the college. He brought up the idea of a debate, and I jumped at it. So, TruthSeeker1234, while you rant to your keyboard about the "National Debate," a real person in the real world did something about it:
Justin, the guy nice guy (on whom I will use my Svengali-like powers of persuasion to turn from the dark side) interviewing me in the photo, is in charge of getting guest speakers of different sorts for...guest speakings, I guess, at the college. He brought up the idea of a debate, and I jumped at it. So, TruthSeeker1234, while you rant to your keyboard about the "National Debate," a real person in the real world did something about it:
My reply:Mark!
I have great news! Jim Fetzer has agreed to debate you at Franklin Pierce College!!! In fact, the 9/11 Scholars want to move the official Nation 9/11 Debate that is to be held on March 10th 2007 from South Carolina to FPC. Here is the proposal I sent to my boss about the event:
Dr. Nevious,
President George W. Bush has called 9/11 the pivotal moment of the 21st century. I personally am appalled that educators and citizens alike are being written off as conspiracy theorists, and being made to feel ashamed for studying what the president himself has called the “pivotal” moment of this century so far. What happened on September the 11th 2001 is an issue that transcends gender, age, race, religion, or political affiliation.
A recent Poll conducted at Ohio State University has shown that 33% of Americans do not believe the government’s official account of 9/11 (this includes almost half of the families who lost loved ones in the attacks). Many grassroots organizations have sprung up across the country, including an organization founded by Professor Jim Fetzer (of McKnight University at Duluth Minnesota) called Scholars For 9/11 Truth. Scholars for 9/11 Truth has over 400 members that include esteemed professors from colleges across the nation. Since it seems that so many Americans are affected by this, I have a hard time dealing with the fact that the mainstream press is not covering this dissent in our country.
When I went to New York City on the five year anniversary of the attacks, I had the opportunity to meet with many prominent members of the 9/11 Truth Movement, as well as outspoken critics of the movement. While there I learned that there are plans to hold a national 9/11 debate on March 10th, 2007 in South Carolina. However, the 9/11 Truth Scholars were having trouble finding anyone who wanted to seriously debate their research. The next day, I found someone who is foaming at the mouth to do so.
Franklin Pierce College Alumni, Mark Roberts (class of 1986) has worked on many pieces that “debunk” the supposed conspiracy theories about 9/11. I have been in contact with him since meeting him and he has expressed interest in coming to Franklin Pierce to participate in a debate with anyone who would like to debate him on the issue.
This past Friday I placed a call to Professor Jim Fetzer (founder of Scholars for 9/11 Truth). When I told him about Mark Roberts he immediately volunteered to debate him. In fact, he has expressed interest in moving the official 9/11 Debate from South Carolina to Franklin Pierce College. With your permission I would like to be in charge of the organization of the official 9/11 debate to be held in the Marlin Fitzwater Center for Communication at Franklin Pierce College.
The event would be done with the utmost respect to the sensitivity of the issue, with an impartial moderator, and give both sides an opportunity to present well crafted theories that they have created through scientific evaluation. I’m sure that you are hesitant, and rightfully so. However, this is an issue that I think is about to become very mainstream and widespread, and I want Franklin Pierce College to be one of the first outlets to address an issue that is very important to many Americans.
Regardless of my personal stance on the subject, our founding fathers went on record saying that dissent within the nation is a positive thing. This is an issue that cannot, and must not be ignored. Please take the time to seriously consider my request, and the importance of this event.
Regards,
Justin A. Martell
I am waiting for a response, and once I get that I will give you a heads up as to whether the debate is a go. What are your thoughts?
Regards,
Justin
Justin,
That's fantastic! You really know how to take the (ahem!) bull by the horns. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will happen. I'll be glad to speak with Dr. Nevious if she needs to know that I'm serious and legit, and that the subject is worthy of a debate. She can also check up on me because I was an FPC employee from '99-'01 as leader of The Walk in Europe. (I just threw a brief hissy fit because I looked at the current Walk itinerary and thought it ended yesterday, which would have made it half the length of the trips I did. I was wrong: it ends Nov. 9.)
Dr. Nevious probably has no idea how widespread these 9/11 issues have become. For example, the site that hosts the online version of my Loose Change Guide – which I don't advertise at all – has received as many as 30,000 unique views in a day, and in the past two weeks I've had interview requests from Dutch, French, Russian, Japanese, Polish, Canadian, and American journalists. If she or the College administration balk at devoting some resources to hosting the debate, let them know that the College will receive an incredible amount of free publicity by doing so. I can hardly think of a more effective and less expensive way to hit the right demographic with the FPC name. They should leap at this opportunity.
To correct a misconception, many of us "debunkers" would gladly take on any of the leaders of the "9/11 Truth Movement" in a serious debate. We do take on all comers on internet forums. The issue we've had with the proposed "National Debate" isn't the makeup of the opposition, but the debate format – or lack thereof. The Scholars weren't able to attract a moderator, had only one media panelist on board, and hadn't posted rules for the debate.
I hope that having the event run by a neutral third party will attract more debaters from "my" side. It might be a good project for communications/journalism/poli sci students to write the debate rules that both sides will have to abide by, as well as to be panelists who ask questions. I'm not a stickler for "formal" debate rules, whatever those may be. I just want a format that requires mature presentations and guarantees equal time to all parties. (You're right in saying that I sometimes "foam at the mouth" over these issues, but in this case I'll try to champ at the bit without foaming!)
I wonder if the school will take issue with calling it a "National" debate. I certainly think it's pretentious and inaccurate, but I haven't thought about better name. I do get a kick out of the name "Team Liberty." What does that make my side, "Team Bondage?" "Team Totalitarianism?"
Great job in getting this far, Justin. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Best regards,
Mark
Last edited: