@theprestige argued that empirical science can test its own validity using its own tools.
I argued no such thing.
I
claimed that the claim, "the scientific method is the only reliable way to test claims, that we know of" can be tested using the scientific method.
I haven't bothered to argue it, since (a) demonstrations of the principle have already been provided to you in this thread; (b) the method's tools have already been provided to you in this thread, so you can try it for yourself*; and (c) whenever an argument is made, you seem to hand off all the responsibilities to an AI and mentally check out of the conversation, so why bother?
However, using empirical science to prove that only empirical science yields valid knowledge is a textbook example of begging the question (circular reasoning).
That is the claim.
Also, you are confused about your own ideas. You have already made a distinction between empirical science and logical proofs.
I have never claimed that one or the other
should be used for this question. I have only claimed that the toolset they share in common, which I call "the scientific method"
can be used for this question.
[Does your AI detect and understand text formatting for emphasis? Will it read the phrases "should be" and "can be" and realize that their emphasis strongly indicates that they embody a core concept that should be focused on and studied carefully?]
You know what? I'm going to do it. For my own amusement, and hopefully the amusement of others in this thread. I know you won't read or understand it, so it's not like I'll be doing your homework for you.
The Scientific Method (after theprestige): Observe, Predict, Test, Observe.
Question: Is the scientific method the only way of knowing things, that we know of?
The Method in action:
Observation: When people know a way of knowing things, they talk about it and use it to know new things.
Prediction: If we know of another way of knowing things, we should see people talking about and using it.
Testing: Do we see people talking about and using other methods of knowing things?
Observation: Yes, we do see people talking about and using other methods of knowing things. Divine revelation, for example. Received wisdom, for another example.
Question: Is the scientific method the most reliable way of knowing things, that we know of?
The definition of reliable, and the application of the scientific method to the question, are left as exercises for the reader.
My conclusion is that received wisdom is marginally more reliable than divine revelation, but not nearly as reliable as the scientific method. YMMV.
If a rule is allowed to validate itself, any worldview can claim the same authority. Is there a non-circular justification for radical scientism, or are we agreeing that its foundation is an unprovable philosophical assumption?
I'm happy to agree that this foundation is an unprovable philosophical assumption.
I already believe that
all foundations are unprovable philosophical assumptions. Keep digging deeper, keep distilling further, and inevitably you'll get to a foundation of unprovable philosophical assumption.
That's why I find philosophical questions so boring. They're always dead ends.
And in this case, we don't even have to dig or distill at all, to find the dead end to your idea. It's already obvious that you have no alternatives to suggest, no concept of how to apply the scientific method or any other method to the questions you raise, and no interest in remedying any of these deficiencies in your thinking on this subject.
In conclusion, I'll leave you with this:
It's no accident that the world's natural philosophers have
always preferred the scientific method over divine revelation and received wisdom, when looking for truths that are measurable, predictable, and repeatable, even in the hands of someone else.
How many times has the end of the world been predicted by divine revelation, only to be proven wrong by events? How many times has the scientific method made the same mistake?
*One thing I've noticed in these threads is that you show no interest in actually trying out anything for yourself. You could try the scientific method's toolset, and tell us your results, but you won't. You won't try anything for yourself. You won't do any of the work you could and should be doing, to contribute to this topic. Your entire effort seems to be focused only on getting to a philosophical dead end as fast as possible, with as few "distractions" as possible.