JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
Those are all used in the scientific method.We should also consider logic, mathematics, and philosophy.Is science the only way to gain knowledge?
Last edited:
Those are all used in the scientific method.We should also consider logic, mathematics, and philosophy.Is science the only way to gain knowledge?
"Scientism" is a term used by people who don't want to a accept their delusions don't matter.Is scientism really justified?
Yes it is.By scientism, I mean the idea that science is the only reliable way to gain knowledge about reality.
You're wrongI am not convinced that this claim is correct.
Logic and mathematics are used in science. Science itself is part of philosophy (it used to be referred to as natural philosophy). There are related and overlapping concepts.We should also consider logic, mathematics, and philosophy.Is science the only way to gain knowledge?
Of course, not all knowledge is scientific knowledge, per se. The works of Shakespeare, poetry, etc. You get the point. There's all sorts of what we might call "cultural knowledge". There's historical knowledge, although here too, some of it is shaky, especially the farther into the past you go. Science can help to make such knowledge more reliable and distinguish myths and propaganda from reality.Then you need to specify what you mean by 'knowledge'.
No, it isn't.I mean knowledge in a broad sense, including science, logic, mathematics, and philosophy. My question is whether science is the only path to knowledge.
Science only accounts for a small part of the sum of human knowledge. An important part for sure, but not even close to the majority of it. Most of the knowledge we gain is processed subconsciously by a method that science has yet to discover. If we had to consciously produce a hypothesis, test it with evidence, and draw conclusions about every observation we made it we would hardly get anything done. Just breathing and keeping your heart beating would be hard work....is a systematic discipline that builds and organises knowledge in the form of testable explanations about nature and society. It is driven by the scientific method: an empirical cycle that typically involves making observations, producing hypotheses, testing them with evidence, and drawing conclusions.
You have a problem. You come here claiming you're not looking for a fight when you clearly are looking for one.What is the strongest argument for scientism?
And how can we justify the claim that science is the only reliable source of knowledge?
By scientism, I mean the idea that science is the only reliable way to gain knowledge about reality.
What about mathematical or logical knowledge? Is that not knowledge?Ideas have a role to play in a very broad sense - see hypothesis. Ideas only become practical knowledge when they are tested and confirmed using the scientific method.
You may have encountered people of various religious persuasions who "know" that their particular god exists. That, and similar ideas and philosophies, are not knowledge in any practical sense.
Give examples of each.What about mathematical or logical knowledge? Is that not knowledge?
It's inference, like figuring out a logic puzzle from some initial hints.What about mathematical or logical knowledge? Is that not knowledge?
I am not proposing an alternative to science.Human knowledge has been around since the first caveman learned that, although fire is burny, he could use it to see at night and cook his dinosaur steak.
Many religious proscriptions are actually passed-down history and knowledge, usually local to the time and place. They arose because someone learned something through observation and recording, proto-science.
So what's the alternative to this?
All part of science.What about mathematical or logical knowledge? Is that not knowledge?
I agree that science is the most reliable method for many questions about reality.The word scientism has its use, there some folks who use the.....sounds of science as though its a sort of magic incantation that can turn nonsense into sense.
That being said, the scientific method is the most reliable way to gain knowledge of reality. That belief is not what I would use scientism to describe. Google says I'm wrong about that though. I'm willing to hear about the alternatives, historically they don't have a good track record though.
I'm not saying we should replace science. I'm asking whether all knowledge has to come from the scientific method.It's the only one that we know of so far. If you discover another source, let us know. If it turns out to be better at making testable claims with repeatable results, we'll probably switch.
The most important aspect of Science is not the discovery of Knowledge, but of Ignorance.
Without it, we would delude ourselves that we know and understand things we really don't.
The most important aspect of the Scientific Method is not Success, but Failure.
We need to learn what doesn't work in order to find out what does. If you are always right, it means that you are either doing something trivial or doing something wrong.
You can always tell a scientist from a pseudo one by their willingness to say:" I don't know".
I agree. Saying “I don't know” is an important part of genuine skepticism.The most important aspect of Science is not the discovery of Knowledge, but of Ignorance.
Without it, we would delude ourselves that we know and understand things we really don't.
The most important aspect of the Scientific Method is not Success, but Failure.
We need to learn what doesn't work in order to find out what does. If you are always right, it means that you are either doing something trivial or doing something wrong.
You can always tell a scientist from a pseudo one by their willingness to say:" I don't know".
I agree that science uses logic, mathematics, and philosophy.Those are all used in the scientific method.