• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Apollo 11 Moon Landing Revisited: Hoax ~vs~ Debunk

I didn't say it was 'insurmountable', I said it was 'additional' to all the other stuff on the crib sheet.

The sun that bids us rest is waking
Our brethren 'neath the western sky


So, just as bedtime calls here, you all are just waking. Nice catch.

Why do you think NASA had DSN tracking stations in California, Spain, and Australia?
 
Telescopes have had mechanisms to track astronomical objects for two hundred years.
Good ol' Herr Fraunhofer. The institute that bears his name has been one of my best customers for years.

It isn't a problem at all. It's no more an 'additional logistical challenge' than putting fuel in an aircraft, or connecting a television to a power outlet.
Literally that easy. You literally just point the dish at Earth. The built-in high-gain antennas on the LM and CSM were aimed by the computer, so the astronaut had to do nothing more than tell the computer, "Point the dish at Earth now, please." The LRV and erectable S-band antennas were literally aimed by hand, just by pointing the dish at the prominent blue thing in the sky. In the J-missions they did this by hand every time the LRV stopped.

And no, the prominent blue thing in the sky wasn't whizzing around at breakneck speed as in the AI slop video. It stays in the same place in the sky for days on end, moving in a tight figure eight. And it spins slowly enough that you have line-of-sight to a point on Earth's equator for up to 12 hours a day. Because Earth's orbit is tilted with respect to Earth's rotational axis, some high-latitude receivers can maintain continuous contact for a week or more.
 
But Vixen wants to know if you understand "the principle of spinning". A suitably vague term of her own invention that she can stretch out for a few more pages.
I think her idea of the "principle of spinning" is to spin this thread to 500 pages and beyond. I think it's hilarious to be lectured on planetary rotation and other planetary motion by someone who can't do simple division.
 
I visit this thread regularly for two main reasons:
1. It is very educational.
2. My blood pressure issues tend toward the too low.

I also visit this thread regularly because I find it amusing to watch a self proclaimed 'triple-niner' flapping and gasping like a turbot on a dock

I make no claims to being a good person.
 
Last edited:
Good ol' Herr Fraunhofer. The institute that bears his name has been one of my best customers for years.


Literally that easy. You literally just point the dish at Earth. The built-in high-gain antennas on the LM and CSM were aimed by the computer, so the astronaut had to do nothing more than tell the computer, "Point the dish at Earth now, please." The LRV and erectable S-band antennas were literally aimed by hand, just by pointing the dish at the prominent blue thing in the sky. In the J-missions they did this by hand every time the LRV stopped.

And no, the prominent blue thing in the sky wasn't whizzing around at breakneck speed as in the AI slop video. It stays in the same place in the sky for days on end, moving in a tight figure eight. And it spins slowly enough that you have line-of-sight to a point on Earth's equator for up to 12 hours a day. Because Earth's orbit is tilted with respect to Earth's rotational axis, some high-latitude receivers can maintain continuous contact for a week or more.
And the Apollo astronauts on the surface knew when the high gain antenna was aligned properly because Mission Control would tell them when they got a good TV signal.
 
And the Apollo astronauts on the surface knew when the high gain antenna was aligned properly because Mission Control would tell them when they got a good TV signal.
Before someone asks the obvious chicken-and-egg question, the voice comms went over the low-gain antenna which was essentially omnidirectional and could send signals to Earth when the rover was in motion. Television required the high-gain antenna.
 
Vixen said:
photos taken without view finders and directly transmitted to Earth via a non -Geopositioned satellite
Re-reading this is confusing me even more. Never mind the confusion between photos and TV footage, is Vixen saying that the photos TV footage was supposedly transmitted directly to earth or that it was transmitted via a non-geopositioned satellite, those are mutually exclusive surely? If she thinks that a satellite was involved, or that NASA claims a satellite was involved, then what satellite is she referring to?

For a scientist, author, triple niner, etc. with dozens of letters after her name, etc. Vixen sure does use some vague mushy language describing things that should be easy to state clearly.
 
Last edited:
Never mind the confusion between photos and TV footage...
...which is still ignorant in the extreme.

...is Vixen saying that the photos TV footage was supposedly transmitted directly to earth or that it was transmitted via a non-geopositioned satellite, those are mutually exclusive surely? If she thinks that a satellite was involved, or that NASA claims a satellite was involved, then what satellite is she referring to?
Ironically this is as close as she's ever gotten to getting Allen and Weaver's argument right.

If you recall, A. & W. claim that the Apollo 11 telecast from lunar orbit shows features apparently taken from a stationary platform, which isn't possible. They aren't stationary, and the narration they edited out makes that plain. The "non-geopositioned satellite" is the CSM itself. That's technically valid: the CSM is a satellite in the strict sense, but that's not the first word you'd use to describe it. The TV images weren't sent "via" this satellite but from it.

And no, the CSM wasn't "geopositioned" (which at this point it seems is what @Vixen—in her extreme ignorance—thinks means geostationary, or more accurately, selenostationary). It was in its normal lunar orbit, taking television images of features on the surface by—gasp!—keeping the camera pointed at the object as they passed overhead.

For a scientist, author, triple niner, etc. with dozens of letters after her name, etc. Vixen sure does use some vague mushy language describing things that should be easy to state clearly.
She's not a genius. I've worked with some of the world's greatest geniuses. I work with ordinary geniuses every day. She's a no-Niner.
 
Never thought I'd run into someone who can't grasp the concept of a straight line.

I'm working midnight shifts now, the moon and I are great friends again. I look up and the Sea of Tranquility is in spectacular view. I know that if I had the right antenna, and if there were astronauts on the moon with their own antenna, I could communicate with them. It's the easiest line-of-sight ever. I understand it's a little more complex than that, but that's the easy version. Plus, when the earth rotates, and the moon sets, I know that someone on another hemisphere can also continue to relay signals from the moon back to Houston, or wherever.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom