• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies?

That's like saying that nobody who has been killed is mad that they were killed.

I'm in a hypothetical where I'm imagining what I'm supposed to be empathising with. Hypothetically, I think most people would be mad that they'd been killed, say, on the way home from the pub, with a tire iron.

So I didn't mean it literally as in 'nobody who is dead is around to be upset' I meant this in the 'as you'd have done unto you' way, as in, the hypothetical me in the story that I'm supposed to be using empathy to choose my actions on... I'd be mad as hell to get killed at seven, and it'd be distressing to get killed at one, but I can't imagine giving eff all of a crap about it if I got killed at globule.
 
Last edited:
I'm in a hypothetical where I'm imagining what I'm supposed to be empathising with. Hypothetically, I think most people would be mad that they'd been killed, say, on the way home from the pub, with a tire iron.

So I didn't mean it literally as in 'nobody who is dead is around to be upset' I meant this in the 'as you'd have done unto you' way, as in, the hypothetical me in the story that I'm supposed to be using empathy to choose my actions on... I'd be mad as hell to get killed at seven, and it'd be distressing to get killed at one, but I can't imagine giving eff all of a crap about it if I got killed at globule.
Ah, but people are absolutely furious if they are never even conceived. Their bodiless souls float in Purgatory, cursing the people who weren't their parents but should have been if only they hadn't used birth control!
 
I'm in a hypothetical where I'm imagining what I'm supposed to be empathising with. Hypothetically, I think most people would be mad that they'd been killed, say, on the way home from the pub, with a tire iron.

So I didn't mean it literally as in 'nobody who is dead is around to be upset' I meant this in the 'as you'd have done unto you' way, as in, the hypothetical me in the story that I'm supposed to be using empathy to choose my actions on... I'd be mad as hell to get killed at seven, and it'd be distressing to get killed at one, but I can't imagine giving eff all of a crap about it if I got killed at globule.
Would you be mad to be killed as a newborn?
 
Would you be mad to be killed as a newborn?
It would be distressing to the extent a newborn is capable of being distressed, which is enough distress that I wouldn't want it to happen to me if it was me. Which is the entire basis of Golden Rule thinking.

My golden rule lines on what I'd be comfortable with happening if it were me map 1:1 with my feelings on the 'does it seem fair relative to the developing thing, as an entity in itself' part of my feelings about this stuff. We can go talk in an abortion thread if you want to hash out how much capacity it takes for me to start feeling uncomfortable with causing the death of a developing human.

Bear in mind my comfort levels are not the entirety of my reasoning around my opinions - I bring them up specifically to counter the idea that supporting abortion rights breaks the Golden Rule.
 
It would be distressing to the extent a newborn is capable of being distressed, which is enough distress that I wouldn't want it to happen to me if it was me.
An 8 month fetus has about the same capability of being distressed as a newborn infant.
Bear in mind my comfort levels are not the entirety of my reasoning around my opinions - I bring them up specifically to counter the idea that supporting abortion rights breaks the Golden Rule.
I would say that depends on how far that support goes. If it goes up to the moment of conception (and for some it does), then it's hard to see how it doesn't break the Golden Rule. But yes, for an embryo that has not yet developed nerves, I would agree that it doesn't necessarily break the Golden Rule. And I also agree that the Golden Rule, useful as it is, doesn't really serve well as the entirety of one's moral understanding of the universe.
 
Easily the strongest argument I've seen so far, that 'rape culture' accurately describes our society.

One of its greatest strengths is that it doesn't waste any time on irrelevant questions of pornography, and gets straight to an example of how our society treats rape itself.
Rape culture isn't just about rape - it includes sexual violence. Everyone knows such acts are either actually occurring or being simulated in porn...and telling the difference might be difficult. Anyone who claims to be serious about eradicating this would not tolerate porn. Would we be in the current deep fake crisis if we had said no to porn? It starts from teaching children from a young age. What do we do instead? - we show them porn.
 
It varies by state, county, and city but it can be pretty corrupt, but I'd assume the same of anything like this in any other country. Who was that TV presenter in England that got away with raping kids almost entirely because he was famous? I suspect this sort of thing is more common in small towns where medium-size fish are a very big deal in the small ponds.
Jimmy Savile?
 
As we have all your points regarding porn, yet you still bring them up.
Is that the 'we' where everyone agrees with you that porn featuring legal age actors imitating the underage is abhorrent?
 
Rape culture isn't just about rape - it includes sexual violence. Everyone knows such acts are either actually occurring or being simulated in porn...and telling the difference might be difficult. Anyone who claims to be serious about eradicating this would not tolerate porn. Would we be in the current deep fake crisis if we had said no to porn? It starts from teaching children from a young age. What do we do instead? - we show them porn.
See what I mean? Your argument about rape culture gets weaker and weaker, the further you drift from the rape aspect.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom