• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Apollo 11 Moon Landing Revisited: Hoax ~vs~ Debunk

It's shocking people don't know how light works.
That would appear to include Marcus Allen. I demonstrated at the beginning of this thread how long it takes to expose stars, and you agreed it would take tens of seconds. That's how weak starlight is. Yet Allen claims you should see stars in Apollo photographs at much shorter shutter speeds.

Was Allen's expectation reasonable? I feel like I've asked this before.
 
Last edited:
That would appear to include Marcus Allen. I demonstrated at the beginning of this thread how long it takes to expose stars, and you agreed it would take tens of seconds. That's how weak starlight is. Yet Allen claims you should see stars in Apollo photographs at much shorter shutter speeds.

Was Allen's expectation reasonable? I feel like I've asked this before.
You asked about Trevor Weaver t'other day asking for his credentials:


His has a degree in Civil Engineering, and a Masters Degree in Operations Research. His early career was as a University lecturer and researcher into computer simulation at Southampton University. In 1969 he started a software company which he ran successfully for 10 years before selling it. He then moved on to Europe to work as a contract software manager on projects for the European Commission, World Bank, OECD, ESCAP, United Nations, and several European Governments. ~ Blurb


I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed. Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime. That is not like for like for the Moon. There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight. Ever. That would not be a case of 'weak starlight' and I believe a lunar South Pole PSR expedition is scheduled soon, so there's the opportunity to do so with digital equipment. Good job we have no Apollo starry skies to compare it to. ;)
 
You asked about Trevor Weaver t'other day asking for his credentials
No, I didn't.

I know Trevor. Trevor and I have corresponded quite a bit. You don't know Trevor. I did not "ask for his credentials." I know what they are, and that's how I'm able to say is not qualified to offer the opinions he is offering under color of expertise. Trevor cites to me as an expert on this subject.

I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed.
No.

You assured us that Marcus Allen made valid points that should be given some deference. Was his claim that stars should be seen in Apollo photos based on an objectively reasonable expectation?

Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime. That is not like for like for the Moon.
How, exactly? Is starlight so much brighter as seen from the Moon that it can be photographed using only a small fraction of a second for the shutter speed?

There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight.
Sunlight falling on the lunar surface is utterly irrelevant to the question of how bright the stars are and what it takes to photograph them.

...there's the opportunity to do so with digital equipment.
Irrelevant to whether it has already been done using film.

Marcus Allen's claims can be evaluated using information we already have reliably in hand. Was it reasonable for Marcus Allen to expect stars to be visible in the Apollo 11 photographs of the surface activity?
 
Last edited:
I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed. Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime. That is not like for like for the Moon. There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight. Ever.
The stars are not significantly brighter on the Moon.
 
I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed. Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime. That is not like for like for the Moon. There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight. Ever. That would not be a case of 'weak starlight' and I believe a lunar South Pole PSR expedition is scheduled soon, so there's the opportunity to do so with digital equipment. Good job we have no Apollo starry skies to compare it to. ;)
Absolute nonsense.
 
You asked about Trevor Weaver t'other day asking for his credentials:


His has a degree in Civil Engineering, and a Masters Degree in Operations Research. His early career was as a University lecturer and researcher into computer simulation at Southampton University. In 1969 he started a software company which he ran successfully for 10 years before selling it. He then moved on to Europe to work as a contract software manager on projects for the European Commission, World Bank, OECD, ESCAP, United Nations, and several European Governments. ~ Blurb


I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed. Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime. That is not like for like for the Moon. There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight. Ever. That would not be a case of 'weak starlight' and I believe a lunar South Pole PSR expedition is scheduled soon, so there's the opportunity to do so with digital equipment. Good job we have no Apollo starry skies to compare it to. ;)
So much straw in one short paragraph.
 
◊◊◊◊!!! You were making a viable argument, like, yesterday!!! Why did you switch back to an unadulterated ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ argument!?!?

I'm not mad, I'm just dissappointed :cry:
 
How, exactly? Is starlight so much brighter as seen from the Moon that it can be photographed using only a small fraction of a second for the shutter speed?
Stands to reason, guv. You're about a quarter of a MILLION miles closer to the stars on the Moon. Obvi they'd be brighter.
 
I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed. Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime.
It takes tens of seconds to expose visible stars on a film camera anywhere. Which is why we know you were lying about having "easily" (or was it "no problem") photographed stars in a manner that proved that the Apollo photos should have had stars in them.
That is not like for like for the Moon.
So now you're turning 180° and going back to claiming that you can photograph visible stars with a film camera using 1/125 sec. exposure time, because of some magical quality possessed by the moon to reveal stars to silver halide crystals?
There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight. Ever.
That is irrelevant. Sunlight doesn't "soak in" to parts of the moon that are exposed to it. There is no difference between a deep polar crater that's always in shadow and the night side of the moon. In fact, those low areas shadowed from direct sunlight will still get a little bit of reflected light from the rims of the craters, and be technically still brighter than the night side of the moon when the earth isn't in the sky, even though that part gets ≈2 weeks of sunlight. It's not like the sun goes down on the moon and someone says, "If you think that's dark, just wait ten or twelve days".

You're still stuck on this misconception that you can photograph stars on film, without all the special procedures I mentioned back in my post about working at a planetarium, as long as you can get it dark enough. But you could go to a rogue planet in interstellar space, light years from any star, and you still wouldn't be able to see stars in photographs without doing all the same steps I mentioned.
That would not be a case of 'weak starlight' and I believe a lunar South Pole PSR expedition is scheduled soon, so there's the opportunity to do so with digital equipment. Good job we have no Apollo starry skies to compare it to. ;)
Starlight isn't appreciably brighter from the moon that it is under excellent viewing conditions on earth. And you've already been informed that modern CCDs are enormously more light sensitive than film, so what would photographing stars with a digital camera prove about the Apollo photos?
 
... I honestly think it is a moot point talking about what shutter speed is needed. Yes, it might take 'tens of seconds' to photograph weak starlight from UK Home Counties in the nighttime. That is not like for like for the Moon. There are parts of the Moon that have never seen sunlight. Ever. That would not be a case of 'weak starlight' and I believe a lunar South Pole PSR expedition is scheduled soon, so there's the opportunity to do so with digital equipment.
How strange. It appears you imagine cameras adapt to the dark like human eyes and become more sensitive. Or you believe stars shine more brightly on dark places. Neither of these is true. Starlight may be slightly weakened by being seen through Earth's atmosphere but not multiple f-stops weaker.
 
That is irrelevant. Sunlight doesn't "soak in" to parts of the moon that are exposed to it. There is no difference between a deep polar crater that's always in shadow and the night side of the moon. In fact, those low areas shadowed from direct sunlight will still get a little bit of reflected light from the rims of the craters, and be technically still brighter than the night side of the moon when the earth isn't in the sky, even though that part gets ≈2 weeks of sunlight. It's not like the sun goes down on the moon and someone says, "If you think that's dark, just wait ten or twelve days".
It's shocking people don't know how light works.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom