No, the guessing was there to save time. Diversity targets were scored based on the multiethnicity/LGBTQ+ (not that we could ask, but those were clearly in our targets) of the team. Had I guessed wrong from the name and background, it wouldn't have mattered. Just more time wasted at interviewing a candidate I couldn't pick unless I wanted to forfeit parts of my bi-yearly bonus.
You are basically just making a big "no true DEI" fallacy here.
Company DEI policies forced race/gender considerations into our recruitment, without those policies we would have used blind CVs/interviews and ended up with non-diverse teams filled with the Indian/Bangladeshi men that usually made up the top 10 of our merit based rankings.
The difference really came at the other end of the spectrum. Bad recruits were a big problem. People struggling to show up to work in time, taking long sick leaves or my personal favorite, grabbing a mobile phone and going for a 2hr toilet break.
Yup, another stupid company policy along with the DEI that was implemented. As far as I know it was all because of some class action stuff in California.