I'll ask posters here (again) if they support Arthwollipot's view that
Pornhub is reputable and law-abiding?
The entire point of that FTC complaint as far as I can tell is that there's no mechanism for victims of revenge porn to get compensation from pornhub for having hosted material with them in it without their permission. As I said
when I replied before, I'd be fully in favor of giving the legal system more teeth so that companies are properly incentivised to spend more energy than they want to, to moderate content to meet legal requirements.
And a nitpick, they are talking about 100 porn sites all run by the same parent company; Pornhub is just one. For all I know Pornhub is doing a decent job while its parent company runs 99 filthy illegal unmoderated sites that need to be shut down.
When Pornhub said the hands-off approach to illegal porn was a pre-2020 problem the FTC said "other general allegations are ongoing and deliberately written in the present tense" but with no idea what 'general allegations' constitute, there's not much I can say to this.
All that said, the guy is citing section 5 of the FTC Act which is about unfair/uncompetetive buisness practices? So I guess the angle is that sites that use illegal content have an unfair business advantage?? This can't possibly be the mechanism for penalizing hosts when they serve illegal material? And further, he cites a Supreme Court decision that disallows people from suing the host for this. Which sounds like a Big Powerful Buisnesses Don't Want to Get Sued issue rather than a They Are Protecting Porn Too Much issue. (I assume the same ruling would stop Facebook from getting sued when your criminal ex posts revenge porn on there; same principle)
There's a discussion to be had over whether the broader idea that Hosts Basically Aren't That Responsible For Uploaded Content is worth it (for various kinds of 'it') but the entire landscape would indeed be different without that; for one thing there would be essentially no large content hosts as there's no economical way to proactively moderate all user generated content.
I
will say that as long as hosting user generated content is a thing at all, banning dedicated porn sites WILL drive more porn onto mainstream sites.