• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Charlie Kirk shot at Utah Valley University event. / Charlie Kirk Shot And Killed

Doesn't engraving things on a bullet risk causing it to malfunction? I'm no physicist but surely a smooth outside leads to better performance.
You'd intuitively think so, but not really. The part of the casing where you would engrave is just holding the powder together, and when fired, it expands against the chamber, again just to kinda hold everything together while the bullet (the head out in front of the brass casing) goes on its merry way.

Eta: if you didn't know what you were doing and left a bunch of brass burrs hanging off it, I guess it could jam up trying to feed the round from magazine into the chamber but it would have to be a substantial amount of burrs.

Eta deux: when they say "engraved the bullet" they don't mean the actual part that goes out to kill mother ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊. They mean the casing. In the pic below, the casing is the pretty long gold (brass) part, and the bullet (properly) is just that copper looking tip at the business end. "Bullet" gets used generically for the whole shebang in the news to describe where the engraving is, when they should be saying 'casing'. The casing doesn't go anywhere when being fired. The actual bullet head does.
1758469371844.jpeg
 
Last edited:
when you use an engraving tool it barely disturbs the metal a few thousands of an inch. barely a surface level scratch, but still visible

edit

maybe think about scouring a pot when you’re cleaning. you can see you’ve scratched the surface but you can’t feel it with your fingers. that’s about what an engraving tool would do
 
Last edited:
when you use an engraving tool it barely disturbs the metal a few thousands of an inch. barely a surface level scratch, but still visible

edit

maybe think about scouring a pot when you’re cleaning. you can see you’ve scratched the surface but you can’t feel it with your fingers. that’s about what an engraving tool would do
I'm sure they make ones that fine, but I've used ones that engrave in steel that you could store a pencil in. The kind you're talking about sounds like a jewelers instrument?
 
I'm sure they make ones that fine, but I've used ones that engrave in steel that you could store a pencil in. The kind you're talking about sounds like a jewelers instrument?

it’s just a little vibrating dremmel style tool. they come with a variety of tips. for example if you just want to put your initials into your tools you don’t really want to destroy them

edit


here’s an example of what i mean.
 
Last edited:
Shutting someone up for spreading right-wing hate strikes me as on that spectrum, though.
Right, but if Robinson was only targeting Kirk for limited views that Tyler personally valued, while theoretically supporting the bulk of the right platform...?

I'm thinking along the lines of a MAGA who supports MAGA positions, but there's one part of the platform that he thinks warrants killing an advocate over.
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking along the lines of a MAGA who supports MAGA positions
Such as the elder Mr. Robinson does?
...but there's one part of the platform that he thinks warrants killing an advocate over.
Possibly the elder Robinson and the younger one were both MAGA except that only one of them believed in the joys of gay sex and gender expansive experience and was violently insistent upon protecting those communities from hate speech.
 
Last edited:
More or less, since my dad died. Not so much in my twenties.

That aside, Tyler Robinson's mother said that he and his father very different political views.
Right. I'm opining that the individual 'tells' don't indicate that he is conventionally left or right. I think he is unconventionally unhinged, in the conventionally far right way (individualism and rifles versus collectivism).
 
Last edited:
#1,729 and also quoted at #1,731.
Thanks! Right, that is what she said:
She stated that Robinson began to date his roommate, a biological male who was transitioning genders. This resulted in several discussions with family members, but especially between Robinson and his father, who have very different political views.
 
I think he is unconventionally unhinged, in the conventionally far right way (individualism and rifles versus collectivism).
I'd be surprised to learn that he's anti-ACA or anti-Medicare/Medicaid or anti-Social Security, but does any of that stuff matter if he was radicalized around culture war issues rather than socialism vs. capitalism?
 
Last edited:
What a steaming load of ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ ◊◊◊◊!

Charlie Kirk’s surgeon says gun wound revealed his final ‘miracle’

The surgeon who treated Charlie Kirk after the fatal shooting in Utah has described the circumstances of his death as ‘an absolute miracle.’

He stated that the bullet that struck the conservative activist in the neck did not exit his body, likely preventing additional casualties.

Andrew Kolvet, a spokesman for Turning Point USA, shared the account on Saturday night, revealing he spoke directly with the surgeon.

‘I apologize this is somewhat graphic, but in this case, the fact that there wasn’t an exit wound is probably another miracle, and I want people to know,’ Kolvet wrote in a post on X.

According to the surgeon, the .30-06 round that hit Kirk ‘absolutely should have gone through,’ noting that such high-powered ammunition is typically used to hunt big game like deer, elk, and even moose.

‘I’ve seen wounds from this caliber many times and they always just go through everything. This would have taken a moose or two,’ the surgeon reportedly told Kolvet, adding that Kirk’s bone density was ‘so healthy’ it stopped the round.

The coroner later found the bullet lodged just beneath Kirk’s skin.

The surgeon said that had the bullet exited, it could have struck others standing nearby.

‘Even in death, Charlie managed to save the lives of those around him,’ Kolvet added.

:crazy::dl::crazy::dl::crazy::dl:
 
I'd be surprised to learn that he's anti-ACA or anti-Medicare/Medicaid or anti-Social Security, but does any of that stuff matter if he was radicalized around culture war issues rather than socialism vs. capitalism?
Not really. As I see the culture wars though, it's more normal to have disparate positions than on the political dichotomy. Whatever got his silicone chip switched to overload doesnt need to fall neatly into any narrative. Nuts, I would humbly opine, don't always play by the same rules as the rest of us.
 
Last edited:
I'd bet my profile pic (for up to three months) I can guess the narrative which burned out his empathy chip.
I'd certainly agree that it's the leading contender, or a variation of it (Robinson might also have hated on all Republicans more than just Kirk, but Kirk was the one showing up close by soon). Opportunistic representative target, or Kirk specific? I dunno.

Eta: Kirk, in that 2023 video (assuming Robinson has heard it) blames men globally for not taking care of things like we did in the 50s and 60s. If Kirk was a man back then (he says 'we'), I want a book of his grooming tips.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom