• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Matt Gaetz reported to be leaving the House

Bet Gaetz is going cap in hand to Trumpy to get a pardon off him come January 20.
He's likely not going to be charged by by the Federal government. The DOJ knew he likely did all this and they didn't charge him. Most of those crimes are State offenses anyway. So a pardon by Trump would be worthless. But I doubt he's going to be charged in Florida where I assume most of these acts took place.

I find it amusing that he went to a judge trying to prevent the release after it's been released.
 
He's likely not going to be charged by by the Federal government. The DOJ knew he likely did all this and they didn't charge him. Most of those crimes are State offenses anyway. So a pardon by Trump would be worthless. But I doubt he's going to be charged in Florida where I assume most of these acts took place.

I find it amusing that he went to a judge trying to prevent the release after it's been released.
He could be charged in future. So a Trump pardon could be insurance.
 
He could be charged in future. So a Trump pardon could be insurance.
Anything is possible. I don't think it's very probable.

As I said, it wouldn't protect Gaetz against State crimes. Also while drug use is against the law, proving someone took drugs is a lot harder than you think. There is no physical evidence for that. No physical evidence for possession which is what almost everyone is charged for. And no proof that he ever possessed a substantial amount of drugs to rise to be a federal offence. Then there are the prostitution charges. Those are state crimes. The DOJ was considering charging Gaetz for having sex with a minor. But as I understand it the girl lied about her age and wasn't considered to be a very good witness.

I believe the evidence that Gaetz paid for prostitutes is very good. Not just the testimony of the girls/women, but Venmo receipts.


.
 
Yeah. Gaetz will disappear faster than you can say Madison Cawthorn. Obviously he has no further use and there is little sentimentality in Trumpworld.

That tweet looks like it was written by a teenager. Maybe Gaetz got his girlfriend to write it.
 
Anything is possible. I don't think it's very probable.

As I said, it wouldn't protect Gaetz against State crimes. Also while drug use is against the law, proving someone took drugs is a lot harder than you think. There is no physical evidence for that. No physical evidence for possession which is what almost everyone is charged for. And no proof that he ever possessed a substantial amount of drugs to rise to be a federal offence. Then there are the prostitution charges. Those are state crimes. The DOJ was considering charging Gaetz for having sex with a minor. But as I understand it the girl lied about her age and wasn't considered to be a very good witness.

I believe the evidence that Gaetz paid for prostitutes is very good. Not just the testimony of the girls/women, but Venmo receipts.

It really depends with regards to federal charges on if he crossed state lines with said minor, paid for her to travel to where he was, took her on an out of country vacation or something like that. I understand the hesitancy of charging a sitting congress critter but he isn't a sitting congress critter anymore. He's just some ass hole that's about to get his own television show on a 2nd rate right-wing news outlet.

It's entirely possible that the release of this report will put pressure on state or federal officials to move forward with charges. We've seen it before.
 
Gaetz is damaged goods now, Trump will ignore him.
I agree, Trump is likely to turn down Gaetz if he asked. Still, you never know with Trump. He pardoned Bannon and Flynn. But he never pardoned Rudy G.

But if the Biden DOJ wouldn't prosecute Gaetz, there is little reason to think the Trump DOJ is going to. So no way does Trump issue a preemptive pardon given the possible Federal charges that are extremely unlikely. Why waste the political capital when Gaetz is unlikely to be charged?
 
It really depends with regards to federal charges on if he crossed state lines with said minor, paid for her to travel to where he was, took her on an out of country vacation or something like that. I understand the hesitancy of charging a sitting congress critter but he isn't a sitting congress critter anymore. He's just some ass hole that's about to get his own television show on a 2nd rate right-wing news outlet.

It's entirely possible that the release of this report will put pressure on state or federal officials to move forward with charges. We've seen it before.
Yes, it does depend on all that. But I stand by assessment that Gaetz is unlikely to be charged. And it's even more unlikely that Trump would issue a preemptive pardon for Gaetz. That is unless Gaetz has something on Trump. And given Trump's abilities to avoid accountability, it would need to be very good.
 
But he never pardoned Rudy G.

What would he have pardoned Rudy G. for?
Yes, it does depend on all that. But I stand by assessment that Gaetz is unlikely to be charged. And it's even more unlikely that Trump would issue a preemptive pardon for Gaetz. That is unless Gaetz has something on Trump. And given Trump's abilities to avoid accountability, it would need to be very good.

I doubt he'll be charged as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if the report came out and questions were asked as to why. The louder it is talked about the more pressure comes from it. He also doesn't have the clout of a current sitting member of the House, which I think is a pretty big deal.
 
I don't think it's so much clout anymore. They all hate him, which is quite an achievement. They are more concerned about a scandal attached to the House.

As well they should! I just meant that the DOJ is going to have to be 100% sure, beyond any reasonable doubt that they have a locked down case if they're going after someone in the House. More than if they're going after you or I (assuming you aren't actually in the House). They would err on the side of caution. The GOP is pretty impervious to any form of bad publicity it seems.
 
What would he have pardoned Rudy G. for?
Rudy was heavily involved in election interference in the 2020 election. And it was reported that he was seeking a pardon at the end of Trump's first term
I doubt he'll be charged as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if the report came out and questions were asked as to why. The louder it is talked about the more pressure comes from it. He also doesn't have the clout of a current sitting member of the House, which I think is a pretty big deal.
All of which is true. Gaetz's buddy is doing time for this. So maybe.

But I wouldn't expect Trump to even consider it until there are signs that Gaetz may actually face charges,
 
FYI: State of Florida Statute of Limitations for the following possible Gaetz offenses. Keep in mind that the offenses took place between 2017 and 2019.

Statutory Rape: 3 years
Prostitution: 1 year
Drug possession 3 years
The clock starts on discovery. So charges must be filed within that amount of time from when the State discovered the commission of these crimes. It seems highly unlikely that clock hasn't been ticking for at least a few years. But maybe a Florida prosecutor could argue it starts today.
No way do they charge him for the drug charge. Too difficult to prove.

No, this was about putting a dagger into Gaetz's political career.
 
FYI: State of Florida Statute of Limitations for the following possible Gaetz offenses. Keep in mind that the offenses took place between 2017 and 2019.

Statutory Rape: 3 years
Prostitution: 1 year
Drug possession 3 years
The clock starts on discovery. So charges must be filed within that amount of time from when the State discovered the commission of these crimes. It seems highly unlikely that clock hasn't been ticking for at least a few years. But maybe a Florida prosecutor could argue it starts today.
No way do they charge him for the drug charge. Too difficult to prove.

No, this was about putting a dagger into Gaetz's political career.
They just need to file new charges today. Clock restarts.
 
FYI: State of Florida Statute of Limitations for the following possible Gaetz offenses. Keep in mind that the offenses took place between 2017 and 2019.

Statutory Rape: 3 years
Prostitution: 1 year
Drug possession 3 years
The clock starts on discovery. So charges must be filed within that amount of time from when the State discovered the commission of these crimes. It seems highly unlikely that clock hasn't been ticking for at least a few years. But maybe a Florida prosecutor could argue it starts today.
No way do they charge him for the drug charge. Too difficult to prove.

No, this was about putting a dagger into Gaetz's political career.
Hasn't he been hired to be a conservative network talking head?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom