A charitable reading requires only that we avoid interpreting any given premise in a way that makes it immediately self-contradictory and utterly vacuous of meaning; we should be striving to interpret it in a way that could actually be evaluated as either true or false.
A charitable reading in this particular case requires only that we come up with a version of "gender identity" doesn't lead to vicious recursion when defining either sex or gender. ACLU are not alone in making this difficult, basically any dictionary of social justice has this problem along with (last I checked) Wikipedia. That said, I think what the gender rights activists are really saying is that all people have an inborn sense of which sex (female/male) they would feel most comfortable being / being seen as / seeing themselves as and which gender (woman/man) they would feel most comfortable being treated as in those rare but highly charged and salient situations when we treat women and men differently. This inward sense is called "gender identity" even though it (by hypothesis) exists wholly independently from all observable outward signs of social gender or biological sex.
I'm not asking anyone to assent to any of the four statements excerpted at
post #985 but I am claiming that they a straightforward statement of the ideology on offer here. In another thread, I might provide a concise statement of early Xn belief from the Council of Nicaea for roughly parallel reasons.
Since I've known these people for decades, I've at least a working theory of what changed and when and how. Since you don't believe they are actually being sincere, you would not find it compelling.
You tell me. By contrast, I'd be surprised if Laurel Hubbard, Lia Thomas, Rachel McKinnon and that whole lot were deliberately and dishonestly exploiting gender ideology rather than just going along with a particular set of ideas prevailing at the time.
For this analogy to work, there would need to be a material payoff to modern gender ideology resembling the millions of unpaid manhours which inured to the propertied elite in slave societies like Virginia.