"6.1 times as likely to die from non-natural causes as cis women'
Could that be largely from being assaulted/murdered?
As I said I suspect the differences in general are a combination of the health risks of transition and selection effects. The "non natural causes" difference is probably a selection effect, though it can also be potentially a sex effect: I'm pretty sure mortality rate from non-natural causes of males is significantly higher than females.* (See ETA)
Which gets a point here: it seems weird to compare trans women to cis women when the former are males from any meaningful medical and risk perspective. smartcookie's quote mentions "In comparison to men in the general Dutch population, the mortality risk was nearly double among transgender women" which is still pretty significant, but lower than the comparison to women. If there were no effect of being trans and no selection effects, we'd expect transwomen to be comparable to cis men, not to cis women. To be overly obvious: no trans women die in childbirth.
But of course, even that aspect of the comparison isn't the only issue. As an obvious example, they mention:
Most likely the starkest difference was the mortality risk from HIV, which was 47.6 times higher for transgender women in comparison to cis women.
Is it surprising that the rate of death from HIV is different between trans women and cis women? Again, I suspect that this a selection effect: ie. the population of people who transition also have a statistically higher incidence of higher risk sexual behavior.
For what it's worth, while I'm using "cis" here, I'm not a fan of it, but felt it was suitable to use the same words that the posted study uses
*ETA: I checked the study, it gives the mortality rate by "non-natural causes" for transwomen as being 2.7x higher than cismen, so still higher but by a significantly lower margin, as I suspected.
Last edited:

This is a case where a more explicit translation is appropriate. In this case it lacks an object, so the "sum" is more appropriately translated as meaning "to exist". It ends up having a different contextual meaning than if one were to say, for example "I think I am tall, therefore I am tall". The presence of absence of an object for the verb makes a world of difference.