• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Luton Airport Car Park Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been busy, but I wanted to come back to this.

I have clearly read it with far more care than you have. The quote which you have plainly stated was his "one and only press statement as of today" came from an article dated Oct. 12. The other statement, linked to by zooterkin, in which he definitively states that the vehicle which started the fire was not an EV, was dated Oct. 16.

1. What proof do you have that the earlier dated statement was Andrew Hopkinson's one and only press statement as of Oct. 18?

2. What proof do you have that the statement dated Oct. 16 was distorted in reporting or was a false attribution?

Is this really what you mean by "six steps ahead"?


In Vixenworld the earliest reports are the most reliable.
 
Again, stop making things up. Andrew Hopkinson is not the only person at Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service in a position to comment on the fire. Full Fact spoke to an unnamed person at Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service and got a clear confirmation that the vehicle was a diesel.

The bod Full Fact spoke to can't have been in possession of the full facts, given that it was several days before the Fire Brigade could even enter the building safely.

If the Cork car park fire took ten weeks to ascertain, it certainly can't be known what caused the Luton Airport one as of yet.
 
I've been busy, but I wanted to come back to this.

I have clearly read it with far more care than you have. The quote which you have plainly stated was his "one and only press statement as of today" came from an article dated Oct. 12. The other statement, linked to by zooterkin, in which he definitively states that the vehicle which started the fire was not an EV, was dated Oct. 16.

1. What proof do you have that the earlier dated statement was Andrew Hopkinson's one and only press statement as of Oct. 18?

2. What proof do you have that the statement dated Oct. 16 was distorted in reporting or was a false attribution?

Is this really what you mean by "six steps ahead"?

Careful, strawmen are prone to spontaneously combust.

Fact: the fire happened circa 11 Oct. It was too intense for the fire brigade to go in. All they have so far is s CCTV camera and the word of the car owner and possibly another witness who claims she saw a fire extinguisher on the path suggesting someone had been attempting to put out a fire.

If the Cork fire took ten weeks to confirm the cause why are you so adamant we already know what caused the Luton airport one?

Why haven't the tabloids and the news channels grabbed the driver of the said vehicle for an interview, or the other direct eye witnesses, as they normally do?
 
First, I'm not claiming any expertise in the area of automotive fires. But I don't need to be an expert to see when someone else's "expert" opinion is contradicted by facts. People can claim to be knowledgeable. But if they make statements that are contradicted by evidence then they're just idiots trying to seem smart, which sadly, is the second most common entity present on the internet after cats.

I'll ask you again: what makes you think that working at a garage or a car dealership makes someone an expert on how various vehicles succumb to fire? How many car fires of each type does someone have to witness before he or she gains a reasonable measure of expertise?

What if someone said, "in my experience as an airport baggage handler, I think there's something fishy about the official report on the cause of that airplane crash"?

A lot of these people have attended courses relating to the mechanics of a car. My last car dealer was some kind of graduate in the subject; he knew everything; all the latest gadgets and safety features, etcetera. I am into my second hybrid car. I wasn't aware in particular that this type of car is likely to burn more fiercely if it did catch fire. Far from going into hysterical potty-mouthed emotional meltdown, I am glad that this issue has now come to my attention via the Luton fire because IMV it is better to know than not know. Should my car start burning, I know to park it particularly safely and to treat it seriously.
 
A lot of these people have attended courses relating to the mechanics of a car. My last car dealer was some kind of graduate in the subject; he knew everything; all the latest gadgets and safety features, etcetera. I am into my second hybrid car. I wasn't aware in particular that this type of car is likely to burn more fiercely if it did catch fire. Far from going into hysterical potty-mouthed emotional meltdown, I am glad that this issue has now come to my attention via the Luton fire because IMV it is better to know than not know. Should my car start burning, I know to park it particularly safely and to treat it seriously.

What exactly was your plan before?
 
The bod Full Fact spoke to can't have been in possession of the full facts, given that it was several days before the Fire Brigade could even enter the building safely.

If the Cork car park fire took ten weeks to ascertain, it certainly can't be known what caused the Luton Airport one as of yet.
You do know there's a difference between knowing the cause of the fire, and knowing where it started?
 
Or Crowley in Good Omens?

Good comparison, the book makes it clear that it keeps going because of the power of Crowley's imagination overcoming the facts of objective reality.

For the last thirty miles he had been imagining that a ton of burning metal, rubber & leather was a fully functioning automobile and the Bentley had been resisting him fiercely
 
You do know there's a difference between knowing the cause of the fire, and knowing where it started?

I think you have it here.
Not knowing the cause of the fire exactly, means we shouldn't be able to know where it started or even what car it exactly is.

It all hinges on the precise cause of the fire. Not knowing that means the rest is also unknowable.

Or something. :rolleyes:

I'm certain Vixen will be along very soon and explain to us, why that is so.
 
Good comparison, the book makes it clear that it keeps going because of the power of Crowley's imagination overcoming the facts of objective reality.

Maybe somebody should tell Vixen, that Good Omens was not a documentary?
 
"Ask the owner" can be a cunning way to determine the make and model of a car that's been in a fire. I wonder if the fire service tried it?
 
From what I have seen of roadside fires, probably lift up the bonnet to let the thick black fumes escape and await the road side assistance.

In the case of an EV or HEV fire it might be wise to call the fire brigade immediately.

edited:

Ah, bad joke eh? Must admit you got me for a moment.
 
Last edited:
Or Crowley in Good Omens?

Never heard of it. I did see a film which was entirely about a motorist being chased by a lorry. Really scary. Until late night presenter after the film, whose job it was to close down TV for the night, 'Diddy' Hamilton, made a quip about how he was terrified of getting home safely after seeing that and then I creased up laughing at the sheer comedy of the whole thing. When horror turns to comedy.

Maybe Netflix has something in the pipeline of spontaneously exploding EV's in a chain reaction, spreading horror and much frothing at the mouth as big corporate oil executives plot against gangs of EV manufacturers determined to foist their evil JIT products on the world. Japanese, as they are good at that sort of thing. So the oil executives skulk around setting fire to EV's whilst the baddies seek to suppress the news of mass destruction of car parks as a result thereof.
 
All they have so far is s CCTV camera and the word of the car owner and possibly another witness ...

Exactly. That's all they have so far: asking the person who owned the car what kind of car it was, and at best maybe checking their registration number with the DVLA to confirm.

So there could be a conspiracy where the owner of the car lied for some reason about what model of car they owned, and the DVLA and DVSA are in on it too as they will know the specific model as registered on the V5C and through its MOT emissions tests.

And even if none of them are lying, there remains the possibility that someone else secretly switched the number plates and swapped the person's diesel car for a diesel hybrid of the same year and colour without the owner noticing. Their motive for doing so is obviously that they heard hybrids burst into flames so they decided they needed to get rid of it quick. As it happens, they did so just in time.

These are both very real and believable possibilities and it's extremely premature to assume neither of these things happened and that it was just another car fire like the thousands of others. What skeptic could possibly be satisfied with the level of so-called evidence available so far?
 
You do know there's a difference between knowing the cause of the fire, and knowing where it started?

AHA!!! I note you are 'skillfully' trying to change the context to make it seem you will 'win the debate' in any which way you can. I see you are a seasoned game player ruthlessly going after the 'I told you so', Cup. I'll raise you Mornington Crescent.
 
I think you have it here.
Not knowing the cause of the fire exactly, means we shouldn't be able to know where it started or even what car it exactly is.

It all hinges on the precise cause of the fire. Not knowing that means the rest is also unknowable.

Or something. :rolleyes:

I'm certain Vixen will be along very soon and explain to us, why that is so.

So you can say...see? Although the driver has been charged with criminally modifying his DIESEL car with an EV engine by a back street garage, yah boo, we can still say for sure the fire started in a diesel car.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom