I'm not the greatest fan of psychiatry and psychology (I think they are still in their infancy as sciences but that is another discussion) but they do seem to consider that there are trans men and trans women, would you say those are expert opinions?
This conversation would have gone very differently if it were actually about a medically-recognized psychological condition, with an established and ethically-sound course of treatment accepted by mainstream medicine.
Coming back around to the question of public policy, which is the only question that really matters:
The public policy question is actually two related questions: What accommodations should we make in public policy, for transgender folks? And how should public policy determine who is eligible for/entitled to these accommodations?
At the start of this thread, I was strongly opposed to requiring an actual diagnosis, to be eligible for accommodations. "Papers please" seemed like a terrible idea. However, fiat self-ID seemed like it would open the door to abuse. At the start of this thread, I had hoped that among our critical thinkers here, someone would offer a solution to this conundrum.
Instead, I've seen the opposite: Further commitment to fiat self-ID, dismissal of the actual cases of abuse it enables, and vilification of anyone who expresses concern about this.
You yourself have offered no better basis for trans-identification than fiat self-ID. This is exactly the problem. This is the impasse at which we find ourselves, for several installments of this thread. Far from cutting the gordian knot*, you grasped the ends of the rope and drew it tighter.
Now you say you think it seems like psychologists recognize transwomen**. But what does that even mean? What objective criteria distinguish transwomen from other men? Oh, right: They claim to be transwomen. But you don't need a psychologist to recognize that tautology. Is it your proposal that public policy should be based on fiat self-ID?
Or do you propose that public policy should be based on some other, perhaps medical, criteria?
---
*Which I acknowledge you probably weren't trying to do; in fact I suspect it can't be done at all.
**For example.