• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Russian Invasion of the Ukraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, I think PUtin will go there, though, irony is that ruined buildings often make better defensive positions then intact buildings.
St Lo and Cassino are good examples of this.

I think given mass casualties it will force Ukraine to end organized, official, resistance. There will still be insurrections against the occupying force though. Although if Putin does do that the west might really step up sanctions against Russia, and hopefully Belarus too.
 
Last edited:
I find it odd that all men 18-60 are prevented from leaving Ukraine. I'd surely be ready to defend my country, but I'm not sure I'd like to be basically drafted at the age of 59.

Best guess the older men aren't there to fight on the front line, but to replace men who are being sent to the front line.

60 year old man takes the places of the 24 year old man at a desk job, 24 year old man goes to the front lines.
 
Or Russia starts indiscriminately bombing population centers. Not sure Putin will go there or not.

In Chechnya, the Russians flattened the cities with bombs instead of fighting in them. City fighting can be tough.

If they do that to Ukraine, though, I think support for the war will plummet in Russia. Chechnya was a far away place that no one had been to, filled with barbarians, while Ukraine is a place it wasn't that uncommon for Russians to go on holiday.
 
If I pick up that weapon, you will have the moral high ground.

Well your contrarianism has convinced me, the Ukraine's best bet is to not fight back and be passively slaughtered so everyone can see how evil Putin is.
 
In Chechnya, the Russians flattened the cities with bombs instead of fighting in them. City fighting can be tough.

If they do that to Ukraine, though, I think support for the war will plummet in Russia. Chechnya was a far away place that no one had been to, filled with barbarians, while Ukraine is a place it wasn't that uncommon for Russians to go on holiday.

Yeah this is starting to look like a major domestic policy misstep from Putin. Possibly his first major domestic policy misstep. If Ukrainians are Russians, and Putin is willing to bomb Russians, what are other Russians supposed to conclude from that, other than Putin is willing to bomb them too?
 
I hate that randos on twitter are the best sources for accurate journalism these days.

I find it odd that all men 18-60 are prevented from leaving Ukraine. I'd surely be ready to defend my country, but I'm not sure I'd like to be basically drafted at the age of 59.
They're not conscripted yet. Could just be cover so R forces can't declare any man aged 18-60 an enemy combatant?
 
If I pick up that weapon, you will have the moral high ground.

Well no, an invading force never has the moral high ground, and it's not like the Russians care.

Off topic, but this can show how effective the US 2nd amendment is. Can poorly trained civilians with hand-held weapons hold off an invading army?
After all, this is a dictator coming to take freedom.

I'm afraid I know the answer, but still.
 
Well no, an invading force never has the moral high ground, and it's not like the Russians care.

Off topic, but this can show how effective the US 2nd amendment is. Can poorly trained civilians with hand-held weapons hold off an invading army?
After all, this is a dictator coming to take freedom.

I'm afraid I know the answer, but still.

Vietnam.

Fallujah.

The Taliban.

It all depends on the political will of the military leaders and the morale and devotion of the troops under their command.
 
Thank you, these are good links.

I read:
#UkraineWar Ukrainian Army sources tells me that JAVELIN missile ambushes against armor convoys are now Standard Operating Procedure.
(about 4 hours ago)

#Ukraine used #Javelin missiles and neutralized a convoy of 15 #Russian T-72 tanks near Hluhiv - Adviser to the Commander of the Land Forces (Kyiv Post)

“Near the town of Hlukhiv, Sumy region, the military used Javelin anti-tank missile systems and neutralized a column of Russian equipment. Fifteen T-72 tanks,” the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine posted on Facebook.

VIDEO of #Russian T-72B tanks with roof screens in Belgorod region.There are lots of #Russian tanks now being seen with protection over the turret.This is supposed to protect from anti-tank missiles like Javelin but tests in #Ukraine showed they don`t really work #UkraineConflict

It would be nice if Western countries could supply (or keep supplying) Ukraine with lots of advanced weapons, in order to destroy many tanks, aircraft, and attack helicopters of the aggressor country.

It seems that it might be useful also to not forget to defend the capital Kiev with well trained and well equipped soldiers.
 
Last edited:
Vietnam.

Fallujah.

The Taliban.

It all depends on the political will of the military leaders and the morale and devotion of the troops under their command.

Oh I'm not saying an insurgency can't work, and it probably will.

But that happens *after* your country is overrun.
 
Well no, an invading force never has the moral high ground, and it's not like the Russians care.

Off topic, but this can show how effective the US 2nd amendment is. Can poorly trained civilians with hand-held weapons hold off an invading army?After all, this is a dictator coming to take freedom.

I'm afraid I know the answer, but still.

History says no
 
If I pick up that weapon, you will have the moral high ground.

Wait are you saying if civilians in a country invaded by a foreign power (and completely unjustifiably so) lose the moral high ground if they pick up a weapon in retaliation?? If so thats... ******* ridiculous. If you mean thats what Putin will claim... yeah he totally will.
 
Yeah this is starting to look like a major domestic policy misstep from Putin. Possibly his first major domestic policy misstep. If Ukrainians are Russians, and Putin is willing to bomb Russians, what are other Russians supposed to conclude from that, other than Putin is willing to bomb them too?

Yeah, he's not running a police action against unruly citizens. He is conducting this as if he is engaging enemy combatants.
 
Or Russia starts indiscriminately bombing population centers. Not sure Putin will go there or not.

I'm not certain that all technicalities may be met to say that Russia's indiscriminately bombing, but hospitals, kindergartens, and homes are being hit anyways.
 
I'm not certain that all technicalities may be met to say that Russia's indiscriminately bombing, but hospitals, kindergartens, and homes are being hit anyways.

Its certainly possible that we are not getting the full picture, but it doesn't appear to me that Russia has resorted to a full scale terror bombing campaign yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom