Meadmaker
Unregistered
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2004
- Messages
- 29,033
I would guess the prosecutors know a great deal more detail than the public has been made privy to. I guess we will find out more at the Crumbley's trial -unless the Crumbleys make a plea deal before the trial starts. Then we may never know.
Yes. In these situations, exactly what you know may depend on where you are. If you are in your car, you would know what's on the radio, unless you have notifications for certain things turned on in your cell phone. I would assume that there is some sort of alert system set up for text messaging to parents in an emergency, although I haven't seen such a message references. If you are in front of a computer screen, you might see a headline on an internet news feed, or even an email. So, we can't say exactly what they knew, but the prosecutors probably have at least some idea. "Don't do it, Ethan." doesn't make much sense to me out of context, but it might make more sense if we knew exactly what she knew at the moment she sent that text, and what else she did.
I don't remember exactly when I first heard about it, but I saw a headline on a local news feed, and I then tuned to a local news source that had gone to full time live coverage, but there weren't any details on injuries and no confirmed deaths at the time. They were sure that ambulances had gone to a local hospital, and I think that parents were being told by then to meet their kids at the Meijer store near the school. That was probably some time after 2:00, if I recall correctly. In other words, as you might expect, initial reports were very spotty and had little confirmed information.
I thought that the text was sent at 1:22, but I might be confusing things. To me, a very interesting thing is that the Crumbley's 911 call didn't happen until 1:37, reporting, first, that their gun was missing....oh and by the way we think the shooter at Oxford school might be our son. That seemed kind of odd to me. Fifteen minutes after they had texted their son, they finally called 911, and the first thing they bring up is the missing gun? When I first heard that I actually thought that maybe they were attempting to cover up something.
Well, one possibility is that they were in the car when they heard the intial reports. The radio reports would have had little or no information, so they leap to the conclusion that the kid had the gun and was threatening suicide. However, he shouldn't have had the gun, right? It's at home, right? So, it takes them 15 minutes to get home, and they rush right to the gun, and see it's missing. That's the first thing in their mind, not because a missing gun is most important, but because the missing gun is confirmation of their worst fears, so they immediately call 911, but what's in their head is that the gun is missing.
This is all speculative, of course. The point is that we don't know exactly what they knew when they made the call, or why they made the calls at the exact times they did. We don't know where they were. Together or apart? Home or car? TV, radio, or internet on?
Assuming there's a trial, we'll learn more. I think there will definitely be a trial, unless prosecutors have a real damning piece of evidence that they haven't shared yet.
I still think it's an uphill climb to get a conviction unless they lied to the school officials. I think an awful lot depends on the content of the conversation held at the school.