• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Major explosion in downtown Nashville

I've been trying to get a hold of my uncle in Downtown Nashville, but no such luck. I'm sure he's fine, but I want to know what he heard/saw.
 
Some of the att equipment was running on emergency generators. Authorities ordered that the generators be shut down.

That would do it.

I'd also considered the idea of continuing damage from falling debris inside the building and water - aerial footage shows water spraying from several points on the AT&T building, as well as across the street.

 
Has anyone checked that the local banks gold deposits are still secure?
 
CNN reporting human remains found near vehicle.
No way of knowing if it was an innocent victim, or if this was a sucide style bombing.it just got a lot more serous, though.
Someone was killed in this.
 
Last edited:
I've been trying to get a hold of my uncle in Downtown Nashville, but no such luck. I'm sure he's fine, but I want to know what he heard/saw.

Communications are pretty much out for most of Nashville for the nest few hours at least.\
 
Am I right in saying that incidents of this magnitude rarely go unsolved? What is the perpetrator thinking, if they don't actually take credit for it?

Surprised - this question was actually asked and answered on the news. And the answer is... "Sometimes they go unsolved."

It's an odd thought and I don't know why I have it, but why would someone waste a perfectly good RV to make a statement?
 
It's been an interesting day. My office is just a couple blocks from the bomb site. Although I've only been there a couple time since March (Covid) I live south of Metro but I have several coworkers who were jarred awake from the blast. My brother also, and he's across the river.
As noted earlier, it's interesting communication went down after the initial blast. I wish I had some local scuttlebutt to share, but am just watching the news like you guys.
 
It's an odd thought and I don't know why I have it, but why would someone waste a perfectly good RV to make a statement?

The explosion was tremendous. Perhaps the RV was purely a logistical consideration - you need a big vehicle with lots of room to carry that much splodey, and ever since Oklahoma City rental trucks are too conspicuous.
 
CNN reporting human remains found near vehicle.
No way of knowing if it was an innocent victim, or if this was a sucide style bombing.it just got a lot more serous, though.
Someone was killed in this.

Yeah. Even if the remains wind up being (one of) the perpetrators, that changes the landscape on this a fair bit.
 
Got a hold of my uncle via E-mail. He said the same thing that our resident Nashville locals are saying. It woke him up at 6:30ish and he thought it was a gas explosion at first. No damage to his building, at least. I guess it was about 3 blocks away.

This one is baffling in more ways than one. Why the timing that would minimize casualties? Why the announcement beforehand? Very strange, this one. Should be an interesting follow, however.
 
I know this is nowhere near the magnitude that was claimed would happen, that being the total destruction of Nashville, but wasn't there some nutty cult claiming a bomb would go off in Nashville a while back?
 
If they were trying to blow up the phone building as the primary thing (instead of mostly trying to kill people), they might have just not made a big enough bomb, or they didn't realize how solid those old phone company buildings are.

My Dad worked for AT&T and its various predecessors and spin-off companies for decades, I even worked for him for a while. Those old Cold War era phone buildings are very, very solid, built to stay functional in the event of all sorts of emergencies.

In the late 1990's Dad was forced to retire. A few years later they rehired him and many other recent forced retirees as contractors for much more pay than they all made before being unwillingly retired - Ma Bell didn't anticipate network internet bandwidth needs and had to scramble to build up capacity.

That's when I got hired by Dad, when I was between jobs within my career field.

Those big buildings were mostly empty by then, miniaturization had allowed vastly greater capacity in a much smaller footprint. We were mostly installing huge banks of huge lead-acid batteries for backup power, plus thick copper cabling sewn onto racks. But jeez - those were some seriously reinforced buildings.

I would not be surprised if some 5G conspiracy person tried to blow up an old but still in use phone building and just didn't realize how big of a bomb one would really need to do that.
 
I know this is nowhere near the magnitude that was claimed would happen, that being the total destruction of Nashville, but wasn't there some nutty cult claiming a bomb would go off in Nashville a while back?

Yeah back in June. But that was "Muslims" that were going to detonate a nuke and bring in the end times. I doubt there's any connection.

Thread about the topic from back in July: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344925
 
As to why nobody has claimed responsibility yet. Speculative suggestions:

1. The perpetrator(s) is/are dead. See the recent reports about possible human remains.

2. The perpetrator didn't have a "message" as such, and just wanted to damage the AT&T data center - without getting caught, if possible.

3. The perpetrator(s) is not finished and doesn't want to risk being caught before they can execute the next step(s) of their plan.
 
As to why nobody has claimed responsibility yet. Speculative suggestions:

1. The perpetrator(s) is/are dead. See the recent reports about possible human remains.

2. The perpetrator didn't have a "message" as such, and just wanted to damage the AT&T data center - without getting caught, if possible.

3. The perpetrator(s) is not finished and doesn't want to risk being caught before they can execute the next step(s) of their plan.

4. The perpetrator is already in communication with authorities. But both don't want to talk about it publicly.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom