• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife went and early voted in person today. No wait at all, she literally walked right up to the first poll worker and was out within 10 minutes. No poll watchers or other shady characters. A couple of giant Trump flags on pickups in the parking lot of the polling center but that was to be expected just by pure demographics for our area. Sat on a bench outside while I waited, nobody got turned away or hassled or made a fuss while I was there.
 
I think someone here has already addressed this, in another thread maybe, but I can't seem to find it, so...

About that GDP claim:


It is, unfortunately, just the sort of sleight-of-hand that Trump can rely on his rabid supporters to be fooled by and then crow loudly about- "see, he does real magic!"; and possibly to the confusion of more honestly-inclined people.

And the people reading it don't realise that a 30% drop followed by a 30% gain still leaves you nearly 10% behind where you were.
 
My wife went and early voted in person today. No wait at all, she literally walked right up to the first poll worker and was out within 10 minutes. No poll watchers or other shady characters. A couple of giant Trump flags on pickups in the parking lot of the polling center but that was to be expected just by pure demographics for our area. Sat on a bench outside while I waited, nobody got turned away or hassled or made a fuss while I was there.

I think I understand the long lines in the US now.

When voting locally here in the UK, I'm usually in and out in less than a minute.

I guess that's a combination of a much more complicated ballot paper, a more complicated ballot process and more stringent ID requirements.
 
I think I understand the long lines in the US now.

When voting locally here in the UK, I'm usually in and out in less than a minute.

I guess that's a combination of a much more complicated ballot paper, a more complicated ballot process and more stringent ID requirements.

Nope, lines where I live (a well-built, well-financed suburb) are also short to nonexistant. It's usually a combination of state-level Republican control and local black or Native communities that lead to long lines, busted voting machines, and the like suddenly appearing - and this has been true for decades now.
 
Nope, lines where I live (a well-built, well-financed suburb) are also short to nonexistant. It's usually a combination of state-level Republican control and local black or Native communities that lead to long lines, busted voting machines, and the like suddenly appearing - and this has been true for decades now.

Oh for sure. But if the mechanics of voting means that it takes 10 minutes to cast your vote even if there's no waiting whatsoever, I can see how a line can quickly build up.
 
Trump Tweets

So true!
Quote Tweet

Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz
"We have a warrior, and he's a good guy, but he loves to fight, and he loves this state, and he loves fighting for Florida, and he loves fighting for our country.
And his name is Representative Matt Gaetz." -President @realDonaldTrump

We don't build walls because we hate the people on the outside.
We build walls because we love the people on the inside.


Joe Biden said he couldn’t get anything done during his last eight years because he had a Republican Congress.
@realDonaldTrump had a Congress that impeached him, yet he still rescued the economy, rebuilt our military, created rising wages, and brokered historic peace deals.
 
Trump Retweeted

Joe Shikhman
@JoeShikhman
Incredible. The one public appearance Joe Biden does this weekend is a speech in Pennsylvania that immediately turns into a massive Trump rally/car parade/GOTV event.
·
Oct 23
Joe Biden said he couldn’t get anything done during his last eight years because he had a Republican Congress.

@realDonaldTrump
had a Congress that impeached him, yet he still rescued the economy, rebuilt our military, created rising wages, and brokered historic peace deals.
 
Lindsey Graham is calling for an investigation into his opponent for raising so much money against him. He claims "shadowy figure" donors are at work.
 
Oh for sure. But if the mechanics of voting means that it takes 10 minutes to cast your vote even if there's no waiting whatsoever, I can see how a line can quickly build up.

FFIW, it's tended to take me more like 3-4 minutes during a more normal time, possibly less, if the waiting parts are taken out of the picture.
 
Trump Tweets

So important to VOTE for Republicans in the House. Break away from Pelosi and her high Taxing new Radical Left friends. Protect your 2nd Amendment, Military, Vets, and sooo much more!

@SeanParnellUSA is a bright star for Pennsylvania. Military, Vets, Low Taxes and your 2nd Amendment will be totally protected. His opponent is a weak and ineffective puppet for Pelosi and her new Radical Left friends. Vote for Sean Parnell!
 
Oh for sure. But if the mechanics of voting means that it takes 10 minutes to cast your vote even if there's no waiting whatsoever, I can see how a line can quickly build up.

//To clarify the process//

You get a paper ballot you have to manually fill out and then when you complete the ballot you take it over to a machine that scans it in and officially counts it.

We did have a particularly big ballot this year (Florida has a lot of state Constitutional Amendments up for a vote this year) that often had a multi-paragraph explanation that you need to read to know what you were voting for.

If it was just the elected offices and not all the amendment/referendums, it probably would be a sub-5 minute process.
 
....
When voting locally here in the UK, I'm usually in and out in less than a minute.

I guess that's a combination of a much more complicated ballot paper, a more complicated ballot process and more stringent ID requirements.


What do you actually vote for? In the U.S. we vote for President/VP, senators, congressmen, governors, state legislators, mayors, sheriffs, city and county councils, school boards, often state and local judges, bond proposals and more. In California this year there are 14 "propositions" about spending or legal changes on the ballot. One advantage of voting by mail is that people have time to think about what they are doing.
 
What do you actually vote for? In the U.S. we vote for President/VP, senators, congressmen, governors, state legislators, mayors, sheriffs, city and county councils, school boards, often state and local judges, bond proposals and more. In California this year there are 14 "propositions" about spending or legal changes on the ballot. One advantage of voting by mail is that people have time to think about what they are doing.

We vote for who we want to be our MP. there is a list of candidates with their party affiliation.
Put an X in the box next to the name you want. Fold it in half and drop it in the box.
 
Lindsey Graham is calling for an investigation into his opponent for raising so much money against him. He claims "shadowy figure" donors are at work.

The big money donors supporting his opponent have been pretty obvious and vocal. They're kind of hard to miss. Maybe this is some definition of shadowy I'm not familiar with.
 
What the heck is happening in Texas? Their reported early voting is already at 80% of 2016's total votes cast:

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

If it were a swing state I'd suspect shenanigans, but it's Texas.

[ETA] Hypothesis: early reports of voter suppression (Harris county ballot boxes) has undermined confidence in the ability to vote on election day and driven up early in-person votes.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom