• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump and Melania test positive test positive for Covid 19

Donald J. Trump said:
And I get it, and I understand it. And it’s a very interesting thing and I’m going to be letting you know all about it.
Unless I miss my guess, he got it, but he doesn't understand it. He will however let us all know about it. And it won't be none of that pointy-headed book-learnin' kind of information either.

My wife is a state social worker and working from home today she had a some sort of conference meeting featuring comments from a state COVID taskforce doctor. The part I overheard concerned the rather troubling neurological/psychological issues many recovering COVID patients were experiencing. Just imagine Trump with these compounding issues.

This is no attempt at humor; Trump is going to be insufferable in recovery, doubtlessly spreading cow manure about his good genes, the innovative treatment he received, and his strength of character.

Then there's the sympathy votes he might get, as hard as that is to believe . . . I don't like the way this is lining up at all.
 
The Trump apologists are going to have to get a new routine. The "Oh LOL I'm totally not a Trump supporter but I'm going to run the same by the book argumentative interference on every argument about him" routine has both gotten old and too recognizable.

The whole thread has been nothing but giddyness of the OMB crowd, where upon it might be more fitting if he got a decently harsh case of it so he knows the feeling and maybe even learns something from it, though I won't hold my breath. That said, the whole pointless Trump Apologist pseudo derail is a one trick pony at this point.
 
The whole thread has been nothing but giddyness of the OMB crowd, where upon it might be more fitting if he got a decently harsh case of it so he knows the feeling and maybe even learns something from it, though I won't hold my breath. That said, the whole pointless Trump Apologist pseudo derail is a one trick pony at this point.

Yes yes yes "Both sides ramble ramble ramble Polly Wanna Cracker" we know. Go count your strikes.
 
Something I've seen stated elsewhere:

I've heard more rightwingers complaining about leftists gloating over the President getting sick than I've seen leftists gloating over the President getting sick.

And I've read this thread here, so have actually seen leftists gloating. But still I have heard more rightwingers whining about it.
 
The whole thread has been nothing but giddyness of the OMB crowd, where upon it might be more fitting if he got a decently harsh case of it so he knows the feeling and maybe even learns something from it, though I won't hold my breath. That said, the whole pointless Trump Apologist pseudo derail is a one trick pony at this point.
Office of Management and Budget?
 
Something I've seen stated elsewhere:

I've heard more rightwingers complaining about leftists gloating over the President getting sick than I've seen leftists gloating over the President getting sick.

And I've read this thread here, so have actually seen leftists gloating. But still I have heard more rightwingers whining about it.

Also people angry at Trump, which carries with an unavoidable degree of Schadenfreude, can actually form a coherent, adult argument about what they are angry at Trump about.

For all the insane rambling about "Trump Derangement Syndrome" and "Orange Man Bad" it's not hard to find actual, detailed, thought out explanations of what exactly with Trump is.

I still have no clue what Trump and his supports end goal is beyond "Burn it all down for the nihilistic trolling glee."
 
Who would have thought that 200,000 needlessly dead Americans could leave behind so many angry family members and friends?
 
Can the pearl clutching industry survive in a world without Trump?

I make clutching pearls. Just like my Daddy and his Daddy before that. As long my family had a name we've worked the Clutching Pearl Mines.

Before Trump my job was at risk. Now it's the biggest industry in the United States. Why we've had to work night and day to keep up with the demand.

Vote Trump 2020. I'm a Pearl Clutcher and I Approve This Message. Paid for the Union of Organized Pearl Clutchers, Hairsplitters, and Pettifoggers.
 
There is also the whole genre of person acting like an idiot gets their comeuppance glee people feel when watching say videos of people driving like idiots then wreaking their car.
 
There is also the whole genre of person acting like an idiot gets their comeuppance glee people feel when watching say videos of people driving like idiots then wreaking their car.

Listen nobody has to pretend like 2020 American culture really has to have schadenfreude explained to it as a concept.

Like everything else the "LOL I don't understand, explain it to me again" routine is an act.
 
I still have no clue what Trump and his supports end goal is beyond "Burn it all down for the nihilistic trolling glee."



Have you read any of the post-apocalyptic novels that have been written in the last 10 or 20 years? There's a whole genre of novels dedicated to the idea that, after society burns down, people can "rebuild it" the "right way". Some people are stupid enough to think this is a good idea.

Of course, the fans of such novels always assume they'll be one of the survivors, not one of the billions of victims.

This genre is large enough that there are major sub-genres, so you can read all about your "preferred" kind of apocalypse. Zombies, plagues, electromagnetic pulses, corona mas ejections, genetically modified plastic eating microbes, asteroid impacts, alien invasions, you name it.
 
Have you read any of the post-apocalyptic novels that have been written in the last 10 or 20 years? There's a whole genre of novels dedicated to the idea that, after society burns down, people can "rebuild it" the "right way". Some people are stupid enough to think this is a good idea.

Of course, the fans of such novels always assume they'll be one of the survivors, not one of the billions of victims.

This genre is large enough that there are major sub-genres, so you can read all about your "preferred" kind of apocalypse. Zombies, plagues, electromagnetic pulses, corona mas ejections, genetically modified plastic eating microbes, asteroid impacts, alien invasions, you name it.

A little bit aside, but I've read some of the older post-apocalyptic novels (and a couple of newer ones, World War Z being excellent). Never really thought of myself in a hero role at all. I liked the stories. I wasn't hoping to be an integral part of rebuilding society.
 
Can the pearl clutching industry survive in a world without Trump?

I make clutching pearls. Just like my Daddy and his Daddy before that. As long my family had a name we've worked the Clutching Pearl Mines.

Before Trump my job was at risk. Now it's the biggest industry in the United States. Why we've had to work night and day to keep up with the demand.

Vote Trump 2020. I'm a Pearl Clutcher and I Approve This Message. Paid for the Union of Organized Pearl Clutchers, Hairsplitters, and Pettifoggers.

A "pearl clutch" is also a common term for ladies' evening handbags decorated with real or fake pearls. It's suitable for the opera, the symphony, and other fancy events. It's possible that somewhere out there this evening there will be a lady named Pearl holding such a handbag while she reacts in horror to something somebody says at a fancy event; that would be a pearl clutch by Pearl clutching a pearl clutch.

Also, duh, pearls aren't mined! They grow inside the stomachs of birds, and get pooped out over time. Makes one hell of a rattle if they're perched above a parked car when it happens.
 
A "pearl clutch" is also a common term for ladies' evening handbags decorated with real or fake pearls. It's suitable for the opera, the symphony, and other fancy events. It's possible that somewhere out there this evening there will be a lady named Pearl holding such a handbag while she reacts in horror to something somebody says at a fancy event; that would be a pearl clutch by Pearl clutching a pearl clutch.

Also, duh, pearls aren't mined! They grow inside the stomachs of birds, and get pooped out over time. Makes one hell of a rattle if they're perched above a parked car when it happens.

Man, I had a whole different definition of a pearl clutch. Gotta go apologize for delivering one when she was clearly expecting a purse.
 
Have you read any of the post-apocalyptic novels that have been written in the last 10 or 20 years? There's a whole genre of novels dedicated to the idea that, after society burns down, people can "rebuild it" the "right way". Some people are stupid enough to think this is a good idea.

Of course, the fans of such novels always assume they'll be one of the survivors, not one of the billions of victims.

This genre is large enough that there are major sub-genres, so you can read all about your "preferred" kind of apocalypse. Zombies, plagues, electromagnetic pulses, corona mas ejections, genetically modified plastic eating microbes, asteroid impacts, alien invasions, you name it.

The Venn Diagram of fans of those novels and people currently running face-first into a virus ravaging the world would be an interesting study in ignorance and hubris.
 
I still have no clue what Trump and his supports end goal is beyond "Burn it all down for the nihilistic trolling glee."
Establishment of an authoritarian state. What kind is still in doubt: the racists want an ethnostate, the religious want a theocracy, the Nazis want fascism, the rich want a kleptocracy, but they all agree that democracy's gotta go, so they're setting aside their differences while there's stigginit yet to do.
 
Establishment of an authoritarian state. What kind is still in doubt: the racists want an ethnostate, the religious want a theocracy, the Nazis want fascism, the rich want a kleptocracy, but they all agree that democracy's gotta go, so they're setting aside their differences while there's stigginit yet to do.

...then they start narrowing their eyes at each other and grip their thoughtfully retained AR-15s a little tighter...
 
I don't know what you are trying to express, but in Trump's case his illness and the illnesses of people around him are the direct result of his own bad judgment. His lies and negligence have killed over 200,000 people. I feel about him pretty much like I would feel about an arsonist who gets trapped in his own fire. I hope the fire department gets lost on the way.

Right, I get it. That's exactly what I'm trying to express, actually. You are not a sociopath who lacks empathy in normal circumstances. You care about others, in general. But there are certain people and situations in which your baseline human empathy goes out the window. I called this idea "situational callousness." In your case, you feel justified in your views. I understand it, even if I don't agree with you. I don't think that people expressing similar views are bad people, just normal people with normal emotions.

In the other thread, dann and I had a discussion about what makes people rape other people. I made a similar point -some rapists are not sociopaths/psychopaths who generally lack empathy; they can be situationally callous and that this is just a part of the range of human behavior. My point is that a lack of empathy in certain situations does not make someone mentally ill or sociopathic/psychopathic. It can lead to horrible behavior, as it does in the case of rape, but it doesn't mean that the rapist lacks empathy for everyone in every situation. A rapist can genuinely love and feel for his wife, children, extended family, etc yet still rape women for a variety of other reasons.

Now, I'm not quite sure why dann decided to inject that old argument into this thread -and I want to make it clear that I do not equate the glee over Trump's illness with the horrible crime of rape. But since he brought it up, I pointed out that I thought the wishes for Trump's suffering and death were a timely illustration of the idea of situational callousness, which he vehemently denies the existence of. I do think it's interesting that if dann is actually correct, then he must think you guys are all sociopaths.
 
Establishment of an authoritarian state. What kind is still in doubt: the racists want an ethnostate, the religious want a theocracy, the Nazis want fascism, the rich want a kleptocracy, but they all agree that democracy's gotta go, so they're setting aside their differences while there's stigginit yet to do.
I believe that's the long and short of it, yes.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom