I've been trying to figure out what happened in this incident and it seems that those who support Kyle Rittenhouse argue that it was all done in self-defence.
Certainly, some video shows him being attacked by protesters who shout about how they are going to beat him up. There are definitely pictures of him being kicked, and hit with a skateboard, and when he shot one person in the arm, the hand connected to that arm is holding a pistol. That looks like self-defence, right?
Maybe not! There are at least a few problems with the self-defence argument:
1.) We don't really know how he came to shoot dead the first person. Was he simply protecting someone's property? Maybe, but was he protecting his
own property or just randomly shooting someone he thought was looting/destroying someone else's property? If it is the former, maybe it would count as self-defence, but I highly doubt he owned it.
2.) Was it legal for him to be carrying the weapon in the first place? From what I understand, whether the state was open-carry or not, he was a minor. If it was not legal for him to open carry as a minor in Illinois or Wisconsin, then he would be committing a crime (I don't know if this is a felony or misdemeanor). Well...
Link