• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency: Part 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Fallows is a contributor to The Atlantic and a private pilot.

Here’s a recent article where he compares analyzing what went wrong with the coronavirus response with what happens when an aircraft accident is investigated.

It’s long, but I think it’s a worthwhile read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...house-coronavirus-response-went-wrong/613591/

Note: I’m going to cross-post this in a coronavirus thread as well.
 
James Fallows is a contributor to The Atlantic and a private pilot.

Here’s a recent article where he compares analyzing what went wrong with the coronavirus response with what happens when an aircraft accident is investigated.

It’s long, but I think it’s a worthwhile read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...house-coronavirus-response-went-wrong/613591/

Note: I’m going to cross-post this in a coronavirus thread as well.

There are numerous problems solving methodologies from industry alone that could, and should, have been employed (QRQC, San Gen Shugi, etc). These basics of problem solving and quality control get ignored enough by businesses even though they KNOW they are effective, and so many government organizations don't even try to have them. No, not the ones traditionally cited as ineffective and slow like education and taxes and the like.

I've said before, most police organizations in the US couldn't pass an ISO:9001 certification audit. The parts of the response to Covid-19 that would have used such problem solving have had at least their culture of doing so gutted, and people punished for just doing the simple parts that then got leaked because it, obviously, shows the administration in a horrid light.
 
I keep getting e-mails from Donald Jr. asking for donations and asking why I have failed to protect his daddy from the democrats. I normally respond asking them why I can't have my bump stock back. :)

Ranb
 
I do have to admit, despite much of his utterances being ignorant rambling and hissy fits, I do find something appealing about how casual he is. It doesn't fit the role of POTUS, I don't know if I would vote for a candidate who spoke like that, but I do have to admit I see the appeal. I see the role he's trying to play, and I catch myself sometimes actually enjoying that he talks the way he does.

I despise the POS for pandering to idiots. And I even more hotly despise the idiots lapping it up. Those wastes of skin are like some number of the similar wastes of skin I grew up around. In the milieu of poverty kept alive by Welfare. People who were uneducated dolts, almost proud of their ignorance. Who consumed dreck like wrestling, and ancient aliens. Who berated me in my teens for my use of "big words", because I read a lot.

These echoes of my early environment engender a bitter hatred of such wanton stupidity that holds the world back a half step.
 
I keep getting e-mails from Donald Jr. asking for donations and asking why I have failed to protect his daddy from the democrats. I normally respond asking them why I can't have my bump stock back. :)

Ranb
:D

You'll only encourage them.
 
I despise the POS for pandering to idiots. And I even more hotly despise the idiots lapping it up. Those wastes of skin are like some number of the similar wastes of skin I grew up around. In the milieu of poverty kept alive by Welfare. People who were uneducated dolts, almost proud of their ignorance. Who consumed dreck like wrestling, and ancient aliens. Who berated me in my teens for my use of "big words", because I read a lot.
These echoes of my early environment engender a bitter hatred of such wanton stupidity that holds the world back a half step.
I used to get that, then I made a joke with my mates that I copied from vizz in which I would reply to bullying with
"er.. do you believe that E E Cummings theory of anatapia was naive in the light of new modernism?"

Got me out of a few scrapes I can tell you.
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Cummings insisted he be called "e e cummings" without any caps or punctuation.


Also, did you mean anatopia instead of anatapia?
 
Here is how Trump responded to two right-wing flunkies who asked what his goals were for his second term.

You'll end up on the floor either laughing or crying ... or both.

Oh. Wow. It is real, not faked. It is odd how it is both very funny, and very frightening at the same time.
 
That's assuming they wouldn't try to seize power anyways.

And how would that work? The incoming administration couldn't issue pardons until they were actually in office, by which time Trump would no longer be able to seize power. I suppose Biden could pinky-swear not to press charges.

I'm mostly talking about the tendency for administrations to tread lightly on prosecuting the previous one. Meaning: it's a tradition with a bit of a purpose, if somewhat self serving. More about insiders scratching each others' backs.



One of the key factors in whether the Democrats pursue charges is whether Trump tries to push Obamagate during the election. I recognize that there is no real crime, but Barr may try bringing charges against some former Obama administration officials anyways as an election ploy. If he does that, Democrats will respond in kind.

I'm confident Barr will do something like that yeah. I'm also confident the Democrats won't retaliate. I'm willing to bet money on it.
 
I've said before, most police organizations in the US couldn't pass an ISO:9001 certification audit.
Can't say I have seen you say that before, but I take you at your word.

Now that I have seen it, I have experience in that arena. Both as a recipient and an evil bastard auditor poking in things not meant to see the light of day.

I confess, I never considered it in that light. But you are correct. Reflecting on it, would any police department anywhere pass? And I cannot think of a single one. Anywhere.
 
Follow-up:

NYT: Kimberly Guilfoyle, Top Fund-Raising Official for Trump Campaign, Tests Positive for Coronavirus - She is the third person in proximity of President Trump known to have contracted the virus.
Ms. Guilfoyle traveled to South Dakota with Mr. Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr., in anticipation of attending a huge fireworks display where the president was set to speak. They did not travel aboard Air Force One, according to the person familiar with her condition, and she was the only person in the group who tested positive.

As a routine precaution, people who come in close contact with Mr. Trump are screened for the virus.

That makes the third person that we know of from the Tulsa rally (not counting secret service apparently):
Ms. Guilfoyle attended Mr. Trump’s indoor rally last month in Tulsa, Okla. Before and since then, some campaign staff and Secret Service personnel have tested positive for the coronavirus. Herman Cain, a former Republican presidential candidate who was also at the rally, said this week that he had been hospitalized with the virus.
 
Last edited:
Who do you trust most?
President Trump - 90.2%
Dr Fauci - 9.8%

a poll with no "don't know" option, that's rounded to 0.2%, and everything adds up to exactly 100%.

Yeah, some group really spammed the hell out of whatever website hosted that one, but it's entirely nonscientific and thus meaningless.
 
Who do you trust most?
President Trump - 90.2%
Dr Fauci - 9.8%

a poll with no "don't know" option, that's rounded to 0.2%, and everything adds up to exactly 100%.

Yeah, some group really spammed the hell out of whatever website hosted that one, but it's entirely nonscientific and thus meaningless.

I just am flabbergasted that anyone, I mean anyone would trust Trump over Fauci on issues of medicine. Trump has NO SCIENCE background whatsoever.

In contrast Fauci is not only a Doctor of Medicine. He is an award winning doctor and an understanding of infectious diseases that one only gets from studying for 40 years.

Fauci has made important scientific observations that contributed to the understanding of regulation of the human immune response, and is recognized for delineating the mechanisms whereby immunosuppressive agents adapt to that response. He developed therapies for formerly fatal diseases such as polyarteritis nodosa, granulomatosis with polyangiitis, and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. In a 1985 Stanford University Arthritis Center Survey of the American Rheumatism Association, membership ranked Fauci's work on the treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and granulomatosis with polyangiitis as one of the most important advances in patient management in rheumatology over the previous 20 years.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci

Seriously people?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom