Would you mind answering my points, Giordano?
Probably I will mind because this is more complicated than what were the more straightforward ideas I presented that already led to a distracting debate. But I’ll start with public restrooms.
First I believe they should all be unisex: separate rooms for each person or at least adequately partitioned cubicles. Everyone should have privacy from everyone else. I’ve seen this even in poor countries. Don’t most women’s rooms already have this in the USA?
Second, as to what we already have. Most trans individuals heterosexuals are sincere and are not interested in peeking at the genitals of others of their trans gender. Just by numbers in the overall population there are likely many more gay and lesbian cis people who might have a
theoretical interest in other cis people’s genitals than there are gay and lesbian trans people. Yet we don’t segregate trans gay people.
Plus even in men’s restrooms with unpartitioned urinals there is not much to see without making an obvious spectacle of oneself. Less so still for cubicles. Being a peeping Tom is still illegal. So I don’t see any real problem even if some cis people pretend to be trans just to get into a restroom to try to peek.
The threat of assault is a little more complicated but I don’t see it as unique to trans people. Cis gays use the cis restrooms; aren’t the current laws inadequate to prevent assaults in these more numerous population situations? Shouldn’t they be? Note I am not saying gay or lesbian people are more likely to assault people, just that there are more of them in the total cis population than gay or lesbian trans people. Is it a problem? Most restrooms are either occupied enough to prevent assaults or are so isolated anyone can wait for the right moment and slip in from outside, whatever their gender. Anyone willing to commit rape is willing to take the more minor risk of being found in the wrong bathroom under some current laws.
Finally how can one enforce a prohibition of trans people using only their birth sex restrooms? Does one ask each person entering a public restroom to strip before a bathroom cop? Do we challenge people based on how masculine their face appears?
BTW isn’t it as awful for person to be forced to use a shared birth sex restroom both in terms of embarrassment and potential assault?