• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean the people protesting? I imagine some of them are concerned that rights are being infringed with very little thought, and in some cases to very little purpose. Wasn't there a state that was banning drive through Easter services, I think at the same time as drive through liquor stores were still allowed? It's not like there aren't lots of examples of official overreach if its the sort of thing one is interested in. In the UK police were threatening to search peoples shopping baskets in case they bought something non-essential with their essential purchases.

I watched some film of the protests, and there were some pretty scary people at those protests, but there are plenty of people who thought the governor went too far, but didn't join the protests. There are plenty of not so scary people who thought the governor went too far.

I don't think any state actually banned drive through services, although technically in Michigan merely leaving the house for an unauthorized purpose, such as going to church, would violate the stay at home order. No one was being ticketed, though, if they stayed in their cars.
 
Do you mean the people protesting? I imagine some of them are concerned that rights are being infringed with very little thought, and in some cases to very little purpose. Wasn't there a state that was banning drive through Easter services, I think at the same time as drive through liquor stores were still allowed? It's not like there aren't lots of examples of official overreach if its the sort of thing one is interested in. In the UK police were threatening to search peoples shopping baskets in case they bought something non-essential with their essential purchases.

"You're not reacting 100% consistently, so we're going to block hospitals and ambulances during a pandemic."

*Makes jerk off motion*
 
Probably not, but some might have been less motivated to say "I'll show you!" and vote for Trump.

Yeah, so their response to being called deplorable was to go out and prove it. I can't argue with you there.
 
Well, certainly presidents are not "normal" or "average".
Quite, but in what way are they generally not normal? It's a competition to see who is the smartest. Who ever becomes President is the one who managed to climb over all the other desperate, overpowered monsters and their teams to wring enough money out of of people, stab the right people in the back and climb to the top. If you get to the top and don't at least have a personality disorder, or something... then I can't imagine you lasting long when you get there.

I think the former leads to the latter.
Let's suppose for a minute that Obama was the sort of good man you are looking for. Other than that he was President, I don't have any great reason for believing he wasn't. To my mind, he failed to manage the Middle East, or Russia leading to the refugee crisis and the conditions that have destabilized the EU. Did his being a moral person lead to that outcome? If one took a Burkean conservative view, maybe all that and even Bush's initiation of the conflict come from an excess of confidence in terms of what was possible? One might prefer somebody with a more limited international vision, even if they weren't such a good person?

There's a certain transparency on people with no filter, but it isn't honesty with Trump. It's just impulsiveness.
Perhaps, I question whether either of us can know this for sure. For an impulsive idiot surrounded by yes men, he has done remarkably well for himself. Maybe he does it deliberately to differentiate himself from traditional politicians?

He has no regard for the truth.
Perhaps, again... most successful politicians speak in a misleading way - lies of structure, omission etc... His lies tend to be more straightforward. Pick your poison.

Reality is expected to bend to his will. Trump isn't a phony. What you see is what you get, and I wouldn't say that about every politician or every president. What you see is the real deal with Trump. And it's ugly.
Maybe some people like "what you see is what you get" even if it is ugly? Again, this is cosmetic stuff... He hasn't started an unwinnable war or destabilized the EU. He's doing OK.
 
The only other descriptors I would add are short-sightedness, ignorance and contempt for experts.
The other day, I came across some advocating that we boycott China!?
 
I watched some film of the protests, and there were some pretty scary people at those protests, but there are plenty of people who thought the governor went too far, but didn't join the protests. There are plenty of not so scary people who thought the governor went too far.

I don't think any state actually banned drive through services, although technically in Michigan merely leaving the house for an unauthorized purpose, such as going to church, would violate the stay at home order. No one was being ticketed, though, if they stayed in their cars.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/11/judge-blocks-louisville-from-banning-drive-in-easter-services/
In Louisville they managed to get a judge to overturn the Mayor's ban on drive through services. Maybe not a state level ban, but that was what I was thinking about. Different versions of this seem to be going on all over.
 
Do you mean the people protesting? I imagine some of them are concerned that rights are being infringed with very little thought, and in some cases to very little purpose.

“Very little thought” and “to very little purpose” according to whom and based on what?

Please be specific.

And this idea that these people are principled defenders of freedom and rights is a joke long past its expiration date.

Just a few days before they decided that blocking ambulances from getting to hospitals was a good way to express their concerns, Trump was on television proclaiming that as President he has total authority, in complete defiance of the Constitution.

I don’t recall that sparking protests from these champions of American values.

Wasn't there a state that was banning drive through Easter services, I think at the same time as drive through liquor stores were still allowed?

I have no idea. Sounds like maybe that’s a question you should have already known the answer to before mentioning it here.

It's not like there aren't lots of examples of official overreach if its the sort of thing one is interested in. In the UK police were threatening to search peoples shopping baskets in case they bought something non-essential with their essential purchases.

Please cite specific examples of overreach that these people were protesting against that made it necessary for them to literally put lives at risk.
 
Trump tweets

Today people started losing their jobs because of Crazy Nancy Pelosi, Cryin’ Chuck Schumer, and the Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats, who should immediately come back to Washington and approve legislation to help families in America. End your ENDLESS VACATION!


Why did the W.H.O. Ignore an email from Taiwanese health officials in late December alerting them to the possibility that CoronaVirus could be transmitted between humans? Why did the W.H.O. make several claims about the CoronaVirus that ere either inaccurate or misleading....

....in January and February, as the Virus spread globally? Why did the W.H.O. wait as long as it did to take decisive action? Lanhee Chen, Hoover Institution Fellow
@FoxNews
 
Trump Tweets

LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
LIBERATE MICHIGAN!
LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!

The States have to step up their TESTING!
 
Last edited:
Trump tweets

Governor Cuomo should spend more time “doing” and less time “complaining”. Get out there and get the job done. Stop talking! We built you thousands of hospital beds that you didn’t need or use, gave large numbers of Ventilators that you should have had, and helped you with....

....testing that you should be doing. We have given New York far more money, help and equipment than any other state, by far, & these great men & women who did the job never hear you say thanks. Your numbers are not good. Less talk and more action!

Cuomo ridiculously wanted “40 thousand Ventilators”. We gave him a small fraction of that number, and it was plenty. State should have had them in stockpile!
 
Last edited:
Trump Tweets

Biden/Obama were a disaster in handling the H1N1 Swine Flu. Polling at the time showed disastrous approval numbers. 17,000 people died unnecessarily and through incompetence! Also, don’t forget their 5 Billion Dollar Obamacare website that should have cost close to nothing!

China has just announced a doubling in the number of their deaths from the Invisible Enemy. It is far higher than that and far higher than the U.S., not even close!
 
There were approximately 12,000 deaths over the span of a year due to H1N1. Trump has “beaten” Obama by having nearly 35,000 dead in weeks.
 
“Very little thought” and “to very little purpose” according to whom and based on what?

Please be specific.
How much thought and purpose was served by allowing drive through liquor stores and banning drive through Easter services in Louisville?

And this idea that these people are principled defenders of freedom and rights is a joke long past its expiration date.
Who? Please be specific.

Just a few days before they decided that blocking ambulances from getting to hospitals was a good way to express their concerns, Trump was on television proclaiming that as President he has total authority, in complete defiance of the Constitution.
It's never hard to find examples confirming our views of the other side. I'm aware of both of these incidents, but I'd have to do some research to do more than parrot a partisan position.

I don’t recall that sparking protests from these champions of American values.
Maybe they were well intentioned, but didn't think it through? I don't know... I'd have to read up on it, but I'm quite prepared to believe that they made some bad choices.

I have no idea. Sounds like maybe that’s a question you should have already known the answer to before mentioning it here.
Maybe you should look into what the opposing side are actually complaining about before assuming their is no basis to their grievances?

Please cite specific examples of overreach that these people were protesting against that made it necessary for them to literally put lives at risk.
If you aren't aware of this stuff, the news media you consume is clearly not serving you well. I've given you one. This kind of overreach is going on across western europe right now.
 
Also China increased numbers 50%, not doubled.

Also all countries' numbers are likely to increase whe home and care home deaths are included.
 
Wasn't there a state that was banning drive through Easter services, I think at the same time as drive through liquor stores were still allowed?

It's a matter of substitutes. Religious services can be carried out digitally ("Prayer: the world's greatest wireless connection); liquor stores deal in material goods.
 
The only other descriptors I would add are short-sightedness, ignorance and contempt for experts.
The other day, I came across some advocating that we boycott China!?

I was looking into masks at Amazon the other day. Obviously, they are in short supply, but my point is that one mask I saw had four reviews, all low. One review said it was poor quality. The other three said nothing at all about quality and rather said they're made in China so I'm not buying them.
 
There were approximately 12,000 deaths over the span of a year due to H1N1. Trump has “beaten” Obama by having nearly 35,000 dead in weeks.

It is a poor comparison. H1N1 was not the danger that COVID-19 is. (I wonder why COVIDs 1 through 18 were so mild! Something to ponder!)










I feel I must add that I know that 19 refers to the year discovered, so please don't jump in and correct me.
 
I haven’t been looking at the news.
What did the Dems do that caused people to start losing their jobs today?
Trump said:
Today people started losing their jobs because of Crazy Nancy Pelosi, Cryin’ Chuck Schumer, and the Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats, who should immediately come back to Washington and approve legislation to help families in America. End your ENDLESS VACATION!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom