phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Aug 25, 2010
- Messages
- 13,590
So, I’d say it is a hodge podge....
(1) of not ever being exposed to other news sources,
(2) of being exposed to other news sources but discounting them because the president has groomed them into doubting everything other than what he says
(3) of not understanding how complicated many problems are
(4) of knowing that the president lies about some things, but believing that his underlying message is accurate
(5) of knowing that they lost a bunch of friends when they supported President Trump and knowing that they may lose all the rest if they turn away now
Obviously there is overlap.
I have never thought about #5 before. It’s clear the never-Trumpers will never welcome those folks back.
ETA
(5a) of knowing that they may lose a spouse if they admit the emperor has no clothes.
I'm a never-Trumper, but my Trump-supporting friends are still my friends. I don't understand their political views and I argue with some of them, but they're still my buddies, no matter how I despise their choices in the voting booth.
On the other hand, I have lost some respect for those of them (the majority) who have drunk the koolaid without reservation and buy the transparent lies they read online. I would also lose respect for liberals who lose the basic ability to tell a blatant lie from the truth.
But respect for one's reasoning and friendship are different.
