ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
- Joined
- Jul 11, 2006
- Messages
- 54,796
It doesn't count, she was a Republican then.
Which should discount her as a democrat ever, remember there is nothing worse than learning when one receives new information.
It doesn't count, she was a Republican then.
Former Vice President Joe Biden’s top advisers and prominent Democrats outside the Biden campaign have recently revived a long-running debate whether Biden should publicly pledge to serve only one term, with Biden himself signaling to aides that he would serve only a single term.
While the option of making a public pledge remains available, Biden has for now settled on an alternative strategy: quietly indicating that he will almost certainly not run for a second term while declining to make a promise that he and his advisers fear could turn him into a lame duck and sap him of his political capital.
This is largely based on his unapologetic refusal to be transparent about his campaign funding.
Sounds like an argument from ignorance.
What has he _got_ to make this accusation? I'm not interested in what he doesn't have.
Agreed. If he isn't willing to serve two terms I don't see any reason to support him.
I don't think he has ever been that "into this". I think he knows he is too old, and would rather be expending his energies elsewhere.Agreed. If he isn't willing to serve two terms I don't see any reason to support him. I hope this shows people that he really isn't that into this.
I don't think he has ever been that "into this". I think he knows he is too old, and would rather be expending his energies elsewhere.
I believe he is running because he sees that he has the best chance of unseating Trump.
If elected, his presidency will be a rubber stamp for whatever the Party can get through Congress.
I'm not sure what you mean here.
Until a couple days ago, Pete refused to allow press to attend his private fundraisers and did not disclose the names of his biggest supporters. He has only reversed himself after being attacked by Warren about this issue.
Prior to to now, he has been extremely dismissive to these concerns and hostile to those inquiring:
https://twitter.com/GregChung7/status/1203549991853346818
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/stat...erses-course-will-open-doors-press-big-dollar
Ok, and?
It's a half arsed hit piece that works heavily to mislead with cherry picking, lack of context, and suggestive language to lead people to decidedly inaccurate conclusions. As an attack, in general, it's pretty ridiculous.
Agreed. If he isn't willing to serve two terms I don't see any reason to support him. I hope this shows people that he really isn't that into this.
Words have meaning. Neoconservative is primarily defined by an interventionist foreign policy.
Seriously, that is not what a neoconservative is. Many neocons supported the war in Iraq, which may be where this meme started, but I see people claiming that Bush and Cheney were neocons, which is hilariously off-base.
The prefix "neo" means new. Therefore neocons are new conservatives. Considering that Cheney was a Republican congressman back in the 1970s, he hardly qualifies as "new".
The neocons were originally liberal, but came to be suspicious that many liberal programs designed to help the poor were actually having significant negative effects on the people they were supposed to be helping. Many of the early neocons were Jewish intellectuals (like Irving Kristol), which is why the term neocon was also often used as a slur for Jewish Republicans. However, many gentiles (including me) became conservatives via the neocon bridge.
The central tenet of neoconservatism is that the unintended effects of government action are often opposite from and equal to or greater than the intended effects. This should have made the neocons suspicious of regime change in Iraq.
Neoconservatism (commonly shortened to neocon when labelling its adherents) is a political movement born in the United States during the 1960s among liberal hawks who became disenchanted with the increasingly pacifist foreign policy of the Democratic Party, and the growing New Left and counterculture, in particular the Vietnam protests.
Usage and general views Edit
During the early 1970s, Socialist Michael Harrington was one of the first to use "neoconservative" in its modern meaning. He characterized neoconservatives as former leftists – whom he derided as "socialists for Nixon" – who had become more conservative.[9] These people tended to remain endorsers of social democracy, but distinguished themselves by allying with the Nixon administration with respect to foreign policy, especially by their endorsement of the Vietnam War and opposition to the Soviet Union.
It highlights her holier than thou schtick. No, I don't think it has legs per se, other than reinforcing a growing perception.
It doesn't count, she was a Republican then.
Huh? I didn't see any of that in the article. I'd like an example of, for instance, the cherry picking you seem to have found.
And I could care less. One of things that drives me crazy about the far right and the far left are the purity tests. I consider myself a moderate, a conservative and a liberal. It all depends on the specific issue. I also understand that compromise is not a dirty word. Some far left commentators saying over the top moronic things about a moderate Democrat doesn't affect me a bit.
Hmm. Here's an interesting assessment.
Short version - it pokes at a fair bit of data to suggest that Yang might be the most electable candidate on the field - at least as far as the focus on winning over swing voters is concerned.
Hmm. Here's an interesting assessment.
Short version - it pokes at a fair bit of data to suggest that Yang might be the most electable candidate on the field - at least as far as the focus on winning over swing voters is concerned.
Yang can't win swing voters until he wins the primary, and since his major accomplishment to date is just barely clearing the 4% poll requirement for debate inclusion, I'm not holding my breath.