• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might be, but he's not electable. Way too many otherwise liberal Americans, including my wife, are uncomfortable with a gay President.
It would help if those uncomfortable with voting for a homosexual are open about that.
I don't care about it, so I am left to guess how much of a liability it would be if he got the nomination. Honestly expressed hesitance helps to get an idea of how much of a drawback his sexuality will be; I would hate to nominate him thinking it will be a non-issue only to find out that a lot of voters had a secret prejudice the day after the election.
 
You know, the Democrats used to be the "fall in love" party, and the Republicans the "fall in line" party, and I wonder if the roles haven't switched to a certain degree. Hillary was a "fall in line" candidate and Biden would be as well. Kerry in 2004 was not the candidate the Democrats fell in love with (that was Howard Dean). Gore was another "fall in line" candidate. Only Obama fits the "fall in love" type, since the turn of the millennium.


I notice you only elaborated with respect to the Democrats, not the GOP, but here, let me help you:

The GOP has become the Fall for a Con Man party.

You're Welcome!
 
What's interesting to me about it is that it's a measurable prediction. We can watch Buttigieg's trend, and see how closely it matches the prediction.
Good point, but who does serious political follow up these days. Maybe it's up to us!

We can also consider her hypothesis more generally - whether the Democratic primary is a process of considering each of the alternatives to Biden in turn - and what other evidence for and against we might look for.

Hypothesis? Isn't that, by definition, what a primary campaign is? If not, how else would you characterize it?
 
I don't care if the nominee likes to have sex with knotholes in trees, as long as he, she or it beats Trump!

What kind of tree, though?

Buttgieg's being gay is literally the only interesting and appealing thing about him. And even then he's not very interesting about it. He's a khaki-pants gay, totally assimilated to the heteronormative world. Yawn, bring a book. I bet he's never even been spanked in public by a leather daddy. Buttgieg's a safe, boring gay that appeals to straight people because he's as dull as they are.
 
Buttgieg's being gay is literally the only interesting and appealing thing about him. And even then he's not very interesting about it.

Yeah but that's reaaaaaaal important if you're not running a campaign but fighting just one battle in an on-going culture war you think everyone is just as invested in as you are.

The Democrats aren't going to be happy until they can find a black lesbian transgender immigrant Muslim in a wheelchair with Aspergers who was a school shooting survivor to run against Trump.
 
Good point, but who does serious political follow up these days. Maybe it's up to us!



Hypothesis? Isn't that, by definition, what a primary campaign is? If not, how else would you characterize it?

The vast majority of primaries are not defined as a process of considering alternatives to Biden and then nominating Biden.
 
What kind of tree, though?

Buttgieg's being gay is literally the only interesting and appealing thing about him. And even then he's not very interesting about it. He's a khaki-pants gay, totally assimilated to the heteronormative world. Yawn, bring a book. I bet he's never even been spanked in public by a leather daddy. Buttgieg's a safe, boring gay that appeals to straight people because he's as dull as they are.

I don't think he's dull. I think he's smart.

I have a theory that often the public is looking for the opposite of what they just had. Trump was a reaction to Obama. Carter was a reaction to Nixon and Reagan was a reaction to Carter.

Say what you want about Mayor Pete, he's the opposite of Trump in almost every way.
 
Yeah but that's reaaaaaaal important if you're not running a campaign but fighting just one battle in an on-going culture war you think everyone is just as invested in as you are.

The Democrats aren't going to be happy until they can find a black lesbian transgender immigrant Muslim in a wheelchair with Aspergers who was a school shooting survivor to run against Trump.

I missed the bit where I said it was important, am fighting a "culture war", represent "the Democrats", or give a crap about whatever ridiculous strawman you're attributing to me because you always always always project all your bugbears on whoever spoke last. I speak for myself alone, and I think you'd do well to adopt the same strategy.
 
I don't think he's dull. I think he's smart.

I have a theory that often the public is looking for the opposite of what they just had. Trump was a reaction to Obama. Carter was a reaction to Nixon and Reagan was a reaction to Carter.

Say what you want about Mayor Pete, he's the opposite of Trump in almost every way.

Tonedeaf white guy born into money. Yeah, he's lightyears away from Trump.
 
I missed the bit where I said it was important, am fighting a "culture war", represent "the Democrats", or give a crap about whatever ridiculous strawman you're attributing to me because you always always always project all your bugbears on whoever spoke last. I speak for myself alone, and I think you'd do well to adopt the same strategy.

I was bouncing off your post, not making a direct rebuttal to you. I should have made that clearer.
 
Tonedeaf white guy born into money. Yeah, he's lightyears away from Trump.

People generally don't think the children of professors are born into money.

Bob nailed you on that.

I'd say Pete is light years away from Trump. He's not a bully. He's not a narcissist. He's middle American. Polite and kind who has a history of serving others. Trump only has a history of serving himself. He's an intellectual who demonstrates the value of an education. Trump can hardly read. He's a veteran, not a draft dodger. Trump mangles his own language while Mayor Pete speaks 6 languages.

Is your big complaint that he's white?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom