• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Mr. Trump has ever heard of a bain-marie, as indeed I never have. Is it some kind of blender? :cool:
Well, I'll step up, I guess. From memory, a bain-marie is a French culinary term for a water-bath; one shallow pan of a bit of water is placed in the oven and the main dish to be baked is placed in the center. The water turns to steam and helps keep the baking item moist and supple. Usually used for delicate items like soufflés.
 
The only thing they did not do was to print and distribute price lists describing how much each ambassadorship, cabinet position, policy position, etc. would cost. Or perhaps they did??

Sounds like a great boon for draining the swamp and transparency, I hope to see this coming out from the Trump campaign for the next election.


With Trump I expect it would be more like sealed bids.
 
...I imagine possible consequences (and the avoidance of them) are very much on his mind now, with a perjury charge and conviction front and centre.

Everyone keeps describing his thoughts and attitudes as if he were a rational, mature individual with a clear understanding of responsibilities and consequences.

I’m not sure that he sees himself as possibly charged with perjury. And I’m even less sure that he sees conviction as a possibility.
 
I saw the Stupid Bitch in Chief's press interaction before the Cabinet meeting. Obviously he was lying when he said CNN claimed he was having chest pains. However, I did get a chuckle out of his claim that his concubine thought he had a massive heart attack. I laughed at the idea the his "wife" thought he was dying. What's really laughable is that he thinks the bitch cares if he lives or dies.
 
thanks ...


and ... wow ...

Right. They are so enthralled with their cult leader that they aren't even listening to the questions, only defending Trump no matter what is said. The war in Vietnam?! Trumpanzees prove themselves to be cult members over and over again.
 
I wonder if Sondland is going to let himself be the next one to go to prison for Trump. Is is another idiot that believes Trump has his back?
 
I wonder if Sondland is going to let himself be the next one to go to prison for Trump. Is is another idiot that believes Trump has his back?

Although I know very little about the guy ("I hardly know him!"), I think he's going to spill everything today. He's already blown his million bucks on The PDJT's inauguration, got his ambassadorship, seen how easily he could be fired, and is (was) a successful businessman. No way he's going to take the fall for Trump.

This is going to be fun.

Hang on to your butts.

It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Yippee kai-ay, ******.
 
Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi will go down as the least productive Speaker of the House in history. She is dominated by AOC Plus 3 and the Radical Left. Mexico and Canada, after waiting for 6 months to be approved, are ready to flee - and who can blame them? Too bad!
 
Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi will go down as the least productive Speaker of the House in history. She is dominated by AOC Plus 3 and the Radical Left. Mexico and Canada, after waiting for 6 months to be approved, are ready to flee - and who can blame them? Too bad!


Obviously nobody told him that Canada isn't ready to put it in place either. The implementation bill needs to be reintroduced once the new Parliament begins its session.

Also no mention of the Trump administration wanting to slip in direct control of where auto manufacturers can make their cars and parts.

The Trump administration wants to dictate how and where global auto companies make cars and parts to secure duty-free treatment under the new Nafta -- in its most direct intervention yet to manage trade and production, according to people familiar with the effort.

The issue is being discussed between Trump administration officials, congressional staff, and domestic and foreign auto makers in the context of the legislation that lawmakers will vote on for the trade deal to take effect. The White House wants specific language that would allow it to unilaterally administer the production rules for companies.


I'm sure there will be no problems with that.
 
Obviously nobody told him that Canada isn't ready to put it in place either. The implementation bill needs to be reintroduced once the new Parliament begins its session.



Not to mention that, the idea that Canada would ever "flee" from a trade deal that has become an essential part of our economy is laughable on its face.
 
Kimmel's recent man-on-the-street segment with Trump supporters...

Normally in a video like this, I think "Maybe they interviewed dozens of people who were intelligent and picked just the minority of people who were idiots". But given the general intelligence/ignorance of the average Trump voter, I would assume that they probably didn't have to reject too many interview subjects before they found the ones featured here.
 
Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi will go down as the least productive Speaker of the House in history. She is dominated by AOC Plus 3 and the Radical Left. Mexico and Canada, after waiting for 6 months to be approved, are ready to flee - and who can blame them? Too bad!
Obviously nobody told him that Canada isn't ready to put it in place either.
And, as I assume most people here know, the Democrats in the house have been far from idle... Instead, the Democrats have been passing bills, and McConnell has been blocking them in the senate.

There are supposedly 300 bills that the house has passed (many of them from before the impeachment inquiry started) that the senate has not considered. On the other hand, there are 58 bills that the senate passed that the house has not (although many of those have been sent to committee.)

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...v/14/what-congress-doing-besides-impeachment/
 
Last edited:
Well, I'll step up, I guess. From memory, a bain-marie is a French culinary term for a water-bath; one shallow pan of a bit of water is placed in the oven and the main dish to be baked is placed in the center.

Yes.

The water turns to steam and helps keep the baking item moist and supple. Usually used for delicate items like soufflés.

not quite.

A Bain -Marie is indeed a waterbath mainly used as a temperature buffer between a hot oven and the thing being cooked, or as a means to hold food at a hot temperature without getting it hot enough to burn.

Water boils at 100C so if you put a creme brulee for example, in a bain marie
inside an oven it takes a lot longer for the temperature of the brulee to get over 100 degrees. (egg starts to denature and coagulate at around 70C so without a water bath, if the oven is too hot it's next to impossible to cook a creme brulee in a "normal" oven.*)

A souffle mixture is basically "eggy foam" and when cooking souffles in a bain-marie the water does 2 things. first it prevents the souffle mix from getting too hot too fast and secondly the steam generated increases the temperature of the oven and the ovens ability to transfer heat. This hotter temperature helps the souffle to rise faster, as well as setting the outside of the mix crispier to hold it's shape.
Things rise when the tiny air bubbles contained within the mixture increase in size. The hotter the air temperature of the oven the more the bubbles can expand before the protein chains in the mixture solidify and lock those bubbles into place.
(you introduce steam into an oven when baking bread for the same reason, to increase the air temperature and 'carrying capacity' of the air to make the bread lighter and it's crust cripsier.)

* In more recent times commercial kitchen equipment has a lot greater degree of control over temperature. You can now set an oven easily to cook something at less than 100C, as well as inject steam on demand, so nowadays bain maries aren't used that often.
 
And, as I assume most people here know, the Democrats in the house have been far from idle... Instead, the Democrats have been passing bills, and McConnell has been blocking them in the senate.

There are supposedly 300 bills that the house has passed (many of them from before the impeachment inquiry started) that the senate has not considered. On the other hand, there are 58 bills that the senate passed that the house has not (although many of those have been sent to committee.)

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...v/14/what-congress-doing-besides-impeachment/

Here's what I was thinking this morning: How many of the 300ish bills that the house has passed that the senate has not considered were passed with more than 300 votes, which would be a sign of extensive bipartisan support?
 
Trump Tweets

Nancy Pelosi will go down as the least productive Speaker of the House in history. She is dominated by AOC Plus 3 and the Radical Left.

The 'squad' really is a boogeyman of the right, for some reason.

Mexico and Canada, after waiting for 6 months to be approved, are ready to flee - and who can blame them? Too bad!

Don't speak for us, Donnie. I was fine with the previous treaty.
 
And, as I assume most people here know, the Democrats in the house have been far from idle... Instead, the Democrats have been passing bills, and McConnell has been blocking them in the senate.

There are supposedly 300 bills that the house has passed...that the senate has not considered.
Here's what I was thinking this morning: How many of the 300ish bills that the house has passed that the senate has not considered were passed with more than 300 votes, which would be a sign of extensive bipartisan support?
I suspect that many are probably quite partisan in nature.

But that's the thing... when you have a divided congress, the proper course of action is not for the republicans to sit on their hands and do nothing... it is to negotiate and compromise to try to get something that benefits both sides. Send the bills to committee to have them discussed. Propose alternatives.

Having McConnell and the republicans simply killing bills that the Democrats in the house favors means that there is little reason for the Democrats to work to compromise either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom