• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When she hits 18 I'm wondering how long it'll be before she announces her campaign to run for the Swedish Parliament.

I would

She would walk in.

Wouldn't accomplish anything remotely near what she demands, but she would walk in.
 
I would

She would walk in.

Wouldn't accomplish anything remotely near what she demands, but she would walk in.

And “they” will make it happen I suppose. You still haven’t told us who “they” are by the way. How about spilling the beans?
 
And “they” will make it happen I suppose. You still haven’t told us who “they” are by the way. How about spilling the beans?

Have no idea.

Presumably in a large part, her parents.

Or she would be going to school.
 
If anything Greta has brought it to national and international news. As others have said before here.

But still steps we can take today, and steps we have taken long before this young lady became known are making a difference. Other event like the meeting in Paris a while back cemented even Mexico to take steps to the 3R idea, single use plastics are on the way out, car smog levels are adjusted and other things.
All have been considered with shutting down as little industry as possible. This makes sense.

Yeah, activism is visible but changes are here now that slipped in without much publicity. Some I agree are good, others we just go with the flow. Either way we participate.


Yes. Here in the U.S. they have been "adjusted" by rolling back already established controls and limits, and trying to prevent states like California from setting their own, more stringent ones.

Real progress, right?
 
Yes. Here in the U.S. they have been "adjusted" by rolling back already established controls and limits, and trying to prevent states like California from setting their own, more stringent ones.

Real progress, right?

Taking old oil burners off the road has been a major goal here, in part to impulse new car sales. It has been highly effective. The bulk of the cars we worked on just two years ago are gone. Average age of what we see now is less than five years.

Add in fees going up greatly to cover costs and the sales of cheap motorbikes has skyrocketed. Not exactly progress but old cars aren't usable anymore.

The number of air quality warnings in Mex City are done a bit already, the standards went higher too. It's a start, I think.

As much as I loved my old POS cars it's good they are gone. I knew driving them was not good twenty years ago. And now they are gone for many people supposedly the air isn't as bad. That's progress.
 
Taking old oil burners off the road has been a major goal here, in part to impulse new car sales. It has been highly effective. The bulk of the cars we worked on just two years ago are gone. Average age of what we see now is less than five years.

Add in fees going up greatly to cover costs and the sales of cheap motorbikes has skyrocketed. Not exactly progress but old cars aren't usable anymore.

The number of air quality warnings in Mex City are done a bit already, the standards went higher too. It's a start, I think.

As much as I loved my old POS cars it's good they are gone. I knew driving them was not good twenty years ago. And now they are gone for many people supposedly the air isn't as bad. That's progress.


As long as you aren't downwind of Trumptown. He wants more coal-burning power plants and less regulation of stack exhaust.

Among other things.
 
I'd say that you don't really stop being a child until at least a few years after you've taken over responsibility for your living expenses. Once you've had some experience with earning money, paying bills, and being personally responsible for keeping your body and soul together, we can talk about how mature and grown up you are, and how much further you might have to go.
 
Which, we are reliably informed, is the "best kind of correct".

: p

Yup. Though, over time, I've come to the conclusion that "technically correct" is pretty much the worst kind of correct. It's only ever used to deflect from valid issues that need to be addressed, or to excuse behavior that isn't actually excusable.

"How dare you treat Greta Thunberg as a callow youth, lacking maturity and experience! Don't you know she's going to cross the arbitrary threshold of legal maturity in just a few months? She's practically Athena, springing forth fully formed in all her panoply from the brow of Zeus! If a Greek goddess can do it, who are you to question whether a scandinavian teenager can do the same?"
 
I see the clowns at Daily Fail are spinning Putin's words as translated in context in the video I posted above into some two minutes of hate, unsurprisingly. One omission is that he was asked about holy Greta by the MSNBC pre$$titute they hired for the event (VV loves to answer moronic questions by dull Yankistani pre$$titutes).
 
Which is an interesting point actually

When she hits 18, I'm wondering how much her following will die
Malala Yousafzai is now 22 and recently addressed the G7 in Paris.
Her foundation is still going strong.

But of course she founded it with her father's help in 2014 when she was only 17.
Obviously she's been exploited by manipulative parents and other (mostly white) adults on the board and staff of the foundation ever since...
 
Malala Yousafzai is now 22 and recently addressed the G7 in Paris.
Her foundation is still going strong.

But of course she founded it with her father's help in 2014 when she was only 17.
Obviously she's been exploited by manipulative parents and other (mostly white) adults on the board and staff of the foundation ever since...

She is different.

She is an actual active activist, and was not a teen celebrity
 
And she is actively promoting education. As opposed to promoting ways to avoid it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom