• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brexit: Now What? Magic 8 Ball's up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which doesn't apply to lamb, as for example the EU tariff-free quota for New Zealand (you know, where a third of the lamb we consume comes from) has not been exceeded since 2011. The same applies to Australia's smaller quota.
Yeah the New Zealand Lamb thing was negotiated after French agents sunk the Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior in NZ waters resulting in the death of a photographer. That gave NZ great bargaining power with the French and NZ then handed over the French agents long before their punishment was complete "coincidentally" at the same time the new deal on lamb was agreed.

But NZ still has a lot less sheep than it did before the EU (or EEC as it was then) slapped huge tariffs on them, decimating their sheep farming.
 
Last edited:
The government is confident about being able to patrol British waters post no-deal Brexit despite not having enough boats:

There is "a lot of uncertainty" about the UK's capacity to patrol fishing waters after a no-deal Brexit, a memo from a government department mistakenly emailed to the BBC says.

The note says there are just 12 ships "to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49302778

Admiral Lord West, a Labour peer and former First Sea Lord, said the email appeared to show the UK has "insufficient assets to patrol and look after our exclusive economic zone for fisheries and also our territorial seas.

"This will be thrown into stark relief if we should cease to have an agreement with the EU on fisheries."

The government ship of fools sails blithely on :(

A government spokesperson confirmed an internal email concerned with the "veracity and details of media enquiries" had been "inadvertently sent outside of Defra".

They said: "Britain is leaving the EU on Oct 31 with or without a deal.

"We are confident that we will have the ships and the expertise we need to properly enforce security in UK waters."

As well as a magic money tree, the government also seems to have a magic boat bush :rolleyes:
 
I think all subsidies to farmers and other industries are a bad thing. We should eliminate subsidies entirely in the UK and have completely free trade deals with other countries that do likewise. We should slap import tariffs on imports from countries that do subsidize, to cancel out the effects of those subsidies.


Well, so that trade deal with the US...
 
Well, so that trade deal with the US...

Or any other major economy AFAIK....

It will be very interesting to see how things play out for Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit. I'm not an expert on these things but I imagine that for expediency, a lot of Ireland's trade with continental Europe is transported by lorry through the UK. If a no deal Brexit results in tariffs, then I'm not sure how trans-shipments like these will be handled. Trade between Ireland and the rest of the EU will be tariff-free but that between the UK and EU will be subject to tariffs. How will the UK ensure that trans-shipments aren't "lost" on the way ?

Does this mean an end to the "land bridge" and instead shipments will have to come directly into Irish ports with all that means in terms of cost and time delays ?

Will trans-shipments have to effectively "in bond" or will tariffs have to be paid on entering the UK but then rebated when the good have been shown to exit the UK and enter Ireland ?

However it plays out, it looks like a world of opportunities for the smugglers, especially as the UK will be short of all kinds of goods in the post no-deal Brexit world.

Here at Don Towers we have started a modest stockpile of non-perishable goods so as to smooth any transition. When people did this ahead of the last Brexit deadline, I thought they were being a bit silly but this time around I'm not so sure. We're also making sure that our oil tank is brimmed. This should give us about 12 months of heating and hot water - 18+ months if we're parsimonious, don't switch on the AGA and have a couple of mild winters.
 
Or any other major economy AFAIK....

It will be very interesting to see how things play out for Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit. I'm not an expert on these things but I imagine that for expediency, a lot of Ireland's trade with continental Europe is transported by lorry through the UK.
Yup.

If a no deal Brexit results in tariffs, then I'm not sure how trans-shipments like these will be handled. Trade between Ireland and the rest of the EU will be tariff-free but that between the UK and EU will be subject to tariffs. How will the UK ensure that trans-shipments aren't "lost" on the way ?
Magic unknown technology, apparently.

Does this mean an end to the "land bridge" and instead shipments will have to come directly into Irish ports with all that means in terms of cost and time delays ?
Pretty much.

Will trans-shipments have to effectively "in bond" or will tariffs have to be paid on entering the UK but then rebated when the good have been shown to exit the UK and enter Ireland ?
That is a UK internal matter.

However it plays out, it looks like a world of opportunities for the smugglers, especially as the UK will be short of all kinds of goods in the post no-deal Brexit world.
Oh those people will be making an awful lot of hay.

Here at Don Towers we have started a modest stockpile of non-perishable goods so as to smooth any transition. When people did this ahead of the last Brexit deadline, I thought they were being a bit silly but this time around I'm not so sure. We're also making sure that our oil tank is brimmed. This should give us about 12 months of heating and hot water - 18+ months if we're parsimonious, don't switch on the AGA and have a couple of mild winters.
I'm sorry, I can offer no comfort. I was a y2k cynic. When my sister stocked up before it, I was happily able to logically demolish it. And nothing promptly happened. Brexit? Not so much.
 
I'm sorry, I can offer no comfort. I was a y2k cynic. When my sister stocked up before it, I was happily able to logically demolish it. And nothing promptly happened. Brexit? Not so much.

Well, people like me spent a long time fixing the systems that would have failed for sure. And I did stock up ;)

But Brexit is y2k without the work being done to prevent the chaos.

The irony is that a hard Brexit means the B household will be packing up and heading right back into the UK carnage. Strange world.
 
Yeah the New Zealand Lamb thing was negotiated after French agents sunk the Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior in NZ waters resulting in the death of a photographer. That gave NZ great bargaining power with the French and NZ then handed over the French agents long before their punishment was complete "coincidentally" at the same time the new deal on lamb was agreed.

Do you have a reliable source for this claim?

But NZ still has a lot less sheep than it did before the EU (or EEC as it was then) slapped huge tariffs on them, decimating their sheep farming.

Figures, please.
 
Stupid is a common word, used by children even, that describes stupid people and stupid things. And I did say you were 'pretending to be stupid' - which you were. Twat is a vulgar slang term for the female genitalia. I'm surprised the auto-censor doesn't **** it out. Spot the difference?
 
Last edited:
Stupid is a common word, used by children even, that describes stupid people and stupid things. And I did say you were 'pretending to be stupid.' Twat is a vulgar slang term for the female genitalia. Spot the difference?
Yes, the difference was that my comment was not aimed specifically at you, it was a general expression about my day.
 
Or any other major economy AFAIK....

It will be very interesting to see how things play out for Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit. I'm not an expert on these things but I imagine that for expediency, a lot of Ireland's trade with continental Europe is transported by lorry through the UK. If a no deal Brexit results in tariffs, then I'm not sure how trans-shipments like these will be handled. Trade between Ireland and the rest of the EU will be tariff-free but that between the UK and EU will be subject to tariffs. How will the UK ensure that trans-shipments aren't "lost" on the way ?

Does this mean an end to the "land bridge" and instead shipments will have to come directly into Irish ports with all that means in terms of cost and time delays ? Will trans-shipments have to effectively "in bond" or will tariffs have to be paid on entering the UK but then rebated when the good have been shown to exit the UK and enter Ireland ?

However it plays out, it looks like a world of opportunities for the smugglers, especially as the UK will be short of all kinds of goods in the post no-deal Brexit world.

Here at Don Towers we have started a modest stockpile of non-perishable goods so as to smooth any transition. When people did this ahead of the last Brexit deadline, I thought they were being a bit silly but this time around I'm not so sure. We're also making sure that our oil tank is brimmed. This should give us about 12 months of heating and hot water - 18+ months if we're parsimonious, don't switch on the AGA and have a couple of mild winters.
I also posted this story elsewhere with some more quotes:
Don't be so pessimistic, it's all going to be fine:

It's going to be fine:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...minic-Grieve-vote-today-Ireland-odds-Boris-UK





I'm not sure the news story justifies the headline. A favourite tactic of the Express, where the stories can be reasonable, but the headlines are way out of kilter with them. A particularly invidious technique, because there's nothing in the story that's particularly wrong - or memorable, but the headline, which is memorable is completely inaccurate.

The Tory MP for Monmouth replied: “I think we’re perfectly well prepared for it, actually we were months ago. Again I went up to speak to the Head of the Port of Holyhead, which is the main crossing point for the Republic of Ireland, they said they were prepared months ago for it.

“They couldn’t understand why members of Parliament were talking of these doomsday scenarios, they basically said ‘it’s created a bit of work for us and it’s all very inconvenient. But it’s not going to be a major problem because we cope with it.’

“This was months ago, there have been serious attempts since Boris got in, and a serious attempt now, to make sure everything is sorted out in order that things go smoothly.

Which led to the following exchange:

jimbob said:
TopBadger said:
The port at holyhead will cope ok? Phew!... is that supposed to infer dover-calais will be fine too? Thats a different kettle of fish.

The US is our biggest trading partner? I wonder what definition or criteria is being used there...

DD. What a knob.
Of course it will cope. Currently lots of trade between Ireland and continental Europe goes through the UK through Holyhead.

After Brexit, it will be cheaper to sail direct between Dublin to mainland Europe than through the UK with two lots of undefined customs delays.
followed by this:

nekomatic said:
jimbob said:
After Brexit, it will be cheaper to sail direct between Dublin to mainland Europe than through the UK with two lots of undefined customs delays.
CONGESTION SLASHED ON A55 AND M6: ANOTHER BRILLIANT BREXIT BENEFIT!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom